realistic, it does seem more like a toy box with the very best but
completely random stuff thrown into it, so perhaps a bit too
disorganized to be it's own ebuild.
Re: checkrestart from debian-goodies [ In reply to ]
Steen Eugen Poulsen <sep@lix-world.net>:

> I'm not sure what step to take next, while a gentoo-goodies perhaps is
> realistic, it does seem more like a toy box with the very best but
> completely random stuff thrown into it, so perhaps a bit too
> disorganized to be it's own ebuild.

Just keep working and inform us...great work.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>
Re: checkrestart from debian-goodies [ In reply to ]
> http://www.arcdraco.net/~dragon/checkrestart
> (Needs lsb-release, portage-utils, lsof and python)

looks interesting indeed... whats also interesting: is there a reason
for lsb-release (a shell script) to be keyworded for x86 only?

matthias

Re: checkrestart from debian-goodies [ In reply to ]
Steen Eugen Poulsen <sep@lix-world.net> posted
46CE5C19.5020306@lix-world.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 24 Aug 2007
06:18:33 +0200:

> I'm working with 'upstream' to get some form of multi distribution
> support included at the source. The current version, I made, does run on
> Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo, without the user needing to do anything.
>
> http://www.arcdraco.net/~dragon/checkrestart (Needs lsb-release,
> portage-utils, lsof and python)
>
> I'm not sure what step to take next, while a gentoo-goodies perhaps is
> realistic, it does seem more like a toy box with the very best but
> completely random stuff thrown into it, so perhaps a bit too
> disorganized to be it's own ebuild.

For others that aren't familiar with Debian, wonder what "checkrestart"
does, and are too laz^h^h^hbusy to grab the code and look, this line
makes it clear:

print "Found %d processes using old versions of upgraded files" % len(toRestart)

I'm not sure what other sorts of "random stuff" Debian includes in their
package, but IMO this one would fit right in with gentoolkit.
"Collection of administrative scripts for Gentoo." Yeah, that sounds
about right. =8^)

Re: checkrestart from debian-goodies [ In reply to ]
Matthias Langer skrev:
>> http://www.arcdraco.net/~dragon/checkrestart
>> (Needs lsb-release, portage-utils, lsof and python)
>>

> looks interesting indeed... whats also interesting: is there a reason
> for lsb-release (a shell script) to be keyworded for x86 only?

Ugh, another issue with it.

debian lsb_release takes 5 seconds to run on my Ubuntu distribution.

lsb_release -sa returns one line in Gentoo, but gives a multi line
response in debians version. Need to find out who should receive a bug
report on that or if it's optional how the -sa output looks.

I'm thinking, make it a command line and configuration file setting,
that way avoiding a required dependency for the deb/ebuild.
Re: Re: checkrestart from debian-goodies [ In reply to ]
Duncan skrev:
> I'm not sure what other sorts of "random stuff" Debian includes in their
> package, but IMO this one would fit right in with gentoolkit.
> "Collection of administrative scripts for Gentoo." Yeah, that sounds
> about right. =8^)

debian-goodies is a gentoolkit/portage-utils package, that contains two
dpkg enhancement scripts as it's main features.

app-portage/portage-utils-0.1.28 (/usr/bin/qfile -> q)
app-portage/portage-utils-0.1.28 (/usr/bin/qlist -> q)

gentoolkit with a required dependency on portage-utils?

Though I do have the option of adding equery support, thats used unless
qfile/qlist is available.

app-portage/gentoolkit-0.2.3-r1 (/usr/bin/equery)

That would make it work very slowly, but it would fit right in and with
the other change with lsb_release would cut down the dependency list to
lsof and python.

There is even the possibility to remove the lsof dependency, if someone
could get the build in lsof emulation in checkrestart to work.
Re: checkrestart from debian-goodies [ In reply to ]
On 8/24/07, Steen Eugen Poulsen <sep@lix-world.net> wrote:
> Matthias Langer skrev:
> >> http://www.arcdraco.net/~dragon/checkrestart
> >> (Needs lsb-release, portage-utils, lsof and python)
> >>

> > looks interesting indeed... whats also interesting: is there a reason
> > for lsb-release (a shell script) to be keyworded for x86 only?

i filed a stablization but for this a week ago afaik

> Ugh, another issue with it.
>
> debian lsb_release takes 5 seconds to run on my Ubuntu distribution.
>
> lsb_release -sa returns one line in Gentoo, but gives a multi line
> response in debians version. Need to find out who should receive a bug
> report on that or if it's optional how the -sa output looks.
>
> I'm thinking, make it a command line and configuration file setting,
> that way avoiding a required dependency for the deb/ebuild.

They are the same script (ugly ass bash) but gentoo doesn't fill out
/etc/lsb_release at all unless lsb_release is isntall and doesn't
write enough information there anyway (probably because we aren't lsb
compliant).