Version Formatting Issues
Hi!

I'm trying to create my very first ebuild and I've run into some problems.

The source is in a tarball called "dLAN-linux-package-v3.tar.gz". Now I don't
know how to rename it properly to fit into our versioning scheme.

If i try to build it as it is, econf doesn't find configure.

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp
Re: Version Formatting Issues [ In reply to ]
Dnia 19-08-2007, nie o godzinie 16:03 +0200, Florian Philipp napisał(a):
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to create my very first ebuild and I've run into some problems.
>
> The source is in a tarball called "dLAN-linux-package-v3.tar.gz". Now I don't
> know how to rename it properly to fit into our versioning scheme.
>
> If i try to build it as it is, econf doesn't find configure.

Probably name of unpacked directory is different, so you should change
the source directory for your package variable (${S})
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap2
Also you may be interested in joining #gentoo-dev-help irc channel
rather than posting to this mailing list.

Cheers

--
,-----------------------------.
| Dawid Węgliński |
Re: Version Formatting Issues [ In reply to ]
Am Sonntag 19 August 2007 16:38:33 schrieb Dawid Węgliński:
> Dnia 19-08-2007, nie o godzinie 16:03 +0200, Florian Philipp napisał(a):
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to create my very first ebuild and I've run into some
> > problems.
> >
> > The source is in a tarball called "dLAN-linux-package-v3.tar.gz". Now I
> > don't know how to rename it properly to fit into our versioning scheme.
> >
> > If i try to build it as it is, econf doesn't find configure.
>
> Probably name of unpacked directory is different, so you should change
> the source directory for your package variable (${S})

Ah, right, I've skipped this variable at first and then I've forgoten its
existence. Thanks!

> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#do
>c_chap2 Also you may be interested in joining #gentoo-dev-help irc channel
> rather than posting to this mailing list.

May I ask why? Is this list dead (just as Gentoo-Performance and
Gentoo-Laptop, for example) or inappropriate for this kind of questions?
Re: Version Formatting Issues [ In reply to ]
Florian Philipp <f.philipp@addcom.de> posted
200708191655.55944.f.philipp@addcom.de, excerpted below, on Sun, 19 Aug
2007 16:55:52 +0200:

>> Also you may be interested in joining #gentoo-dev-help irc channel
>> rather than posting to this mailing list.
>
> May I ask why? Is this list dead (just as Gentoo-Performance and
> Gentoo-Laptop, for example) or inappropriate for this kind of questions?

It's considered inappropriate for this list, which is primarily for
discussion of official Gentoo development technical issues and policy,
with an eye toward the fact that it's a required subscription for every
Gentoo dev. Questions such as this don't need to bother all several
hundred Gentoo devs and staff, including those on infra or who otherwise
aren't working on ebuilds directly.

If you aren't an IRC type guy (I'm not), there are web forums or the user
list, where you'll likely find help. Of course, the user list is pretty
high volume, off-putting to some, but the way the forums are splitup and
the way they work makes for a more focused discussion.

Re: Re: Version Formatting Issues [ In reply to ]
Am Sonntag 19 August 2007 17:18:21 schrieb Duncan:
> Florian Philipp <f.philipp@addcom.de> posted
> 200708191655.55944.f.philipp@addcom.de, excerpted below, on Sun, 19 Aug
>
> 2007 16:55:52 +0200:
> >> Also you may be interested in joining #gentoo-dev-help irc channel
> >> rather than posting to this mailing list.
> >
> > May I ask why? Is this list dead (just as Gentoo-Performance and
> > Gentoo-Laptop, for example) or inappropriate for this kind of questions?
>
> It's considered inappropriate for this list, which is primarily for
> discussion of official Gentoo development technical issues and policy,
> with an eye toward the fact that it's a required subscription for every
> Gentoo dev. Questions such as this don't need to bother all several
> hundred Gentoo devs and staff, including those on infra or who otherwise
> aren't working on ebuilds directly.
>
> If you aren't an IRC type guy (I'm not), there are web forums or the user
> list, where you'll likely find help. Of course, the user list is pretty
> high volume, off-putting to some, but the way the forums are splitup and
> the way they work makes for a more focused discussion.
>
> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman

Okay, thanks!
RE: Re: Version Formatting Issues [ In reply to ]
> From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Duncan
> Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Version Formatting Issues
>
> It's considered inappropriate for this list, which is
> primarily for discussion of official Gentoo development
> technical issues and policy, with an eye toward the fact that
> it's a required subscription for every Gentoo dev. Questions
> such as this don't need to bother all several hundred Gentoo
> devs and staff, including those on infra or who otherwise
> aren't working on ebuilds directly.

I just wanted to clarify one thing: gentoo-dev is not a required mailing list
for developers, it is a suggested list to join, nothing more. The required
mailing lists are gentoo-core and gentoo-dev-announce. (The handbook has been
recently updated to reflect this.)

Kind regards,
Christina Fullam
Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Public Relations