Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: default desktop profile [ In reply to ]
Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> Le samedi 04 août 2007 à 16:23 -0500, Andrew Gaffney a écrit :
>> The LiveCD is intended to replace the separate GRP and universal CDs when
>> combined with the installer. The installer uses the packages installed on the CD
>> to do the new install. I'm not sure how many times this has been brought up on
>> this list. You people need to pay attention ;)
>>
> err, sorry I'm here since 9th june only.
> I should have check the archives :)

I guess I'll let it slide this time, then :)

Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
Re: default desktop profile [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 04:31 +0000, Luis Medinas wrote:
> Of course you don't need to build all gnome for the livecd and i bet

Umm... yes, we do.

Remember that an offline install requires the packages to exist on the
LiveCD. If we did only half of GNOME, nobody could install GNOME. The
problem is that packages keep growing in size, so we have to reduce the
number of packages every release to keep up with the growing space
requirements. This is starting to become impossible while still
maintaining the package set on the CD. Honestly, I was even considering
switching to fluxbox on the CD so we could include more useful packages.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Re: default desktop profile [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 09:08 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:28:26 -0700
> Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > > We disabled it to try to get the size of the x86/amd64 LiveCDs down.
> > Thanks. I knew there had to be some reason for it, but couldn't
> > remember what it was off the top of my head. Luckily, this won't be
> > much of an issue with the next release, since we're switching to Xfce
> > rather than GNOME to bring the size down even further and to try to
> > produce a more useful (as in more tools) LiveCD. Of course, the
> > LiveDVD will have everything on it, as it does now.
>
> Glad to hear that. Then maybe we could add some stages to livecd?

Never. If you want stages, get the LiveDVD.

> Replace evolution with something usable like claws-mail to do so.

Well, I would likely be keeping Evolution, since AD/Exchange
capabilities are something I consider pretty important for anyone in a
corporate world.

Re: default desktop profile [ In reply to ]
Martin Schwier wrote:
> +bash-completion
Well I for one can't stand bash-completion, but I guess I could always
disable it if others think it useful.

> +bluetooth
> +ffmpeg (totem isn't much without it)
If it's just for a specific package, there is a default package.use iirc.

> +libnotify (gives very nice popup notifications in many programs instead
> of an annoying, workflow interrupting dialog box with an OK button)
> +ppds (everyone has a printer, and this is needed to configure it
> without further investigations. cups is already in)
> +startup-notification
> -fortran (not 1% of the desktop users need fortran and it speeds up
> the compile)
I'd have to agree on that one. We've always installed without fortran, and
it was easy enough to switch it back in for the user who needed koctave.

> -kerberos
> -ldap

Well I think those two are there so that samba works well as an Active
Directory server, or is integrated better into a Windoze setup. Kerberos
was only added recently for that reason, iirc. So I'd vote against losing
them for a default install, since integration with heterogeneous networks
is so important. Dunno if that can be managed better with package.use.

(If I haven't commented on one it means I don't have a preference either
way.)