# Last release from 1999, still using GTK+-1.2.
# Masked for removal in 30 days.
x11-misc/fsv
Re: Lastrite: x11-misc/fsv [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 21 July 2007, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> # Samuli Suominen <drac@gentoo.org> (21 Jul 2007)
> # Last release from 1999, still using GTK+-1.2.
> # Masked for removal in 30 days.
> x11-misc/fsv

in other words, you have no real reason for punting this package ?
-mike
Re: Lastrite: x11-misc/fsv [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:27:32 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 21 July 2007, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> > # Samuli Suominen <drac@gentoo.org> (21 Jul 2007)
> > # Last release from 1999, still using GTK+-1.2.
> > # Masked for removal in 30 days.
> > x11-misc/fsv
> in other words, you have no real reason for punting this package ?
> -mike

well, for me gtk+-1.2 and no intentions of upgrading it to version 2
from upstream is a valid reason, BUT it doesn't draw the graphics
correctly and seems broken with current mesa -- draws white artifacts.
Re: Lastrite: x11-misc/fsv [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 22 July 2007, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 July 2007, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> > > # Samuli Suominen <drac@gentoo.org> (21 Jul 2007)
> > > # Last release from 1999, still using GTK+-1.2.
> > > # Masked for removal in 30 days.
> > > x11-misc/fsv
> >
> > in other words, you have no real reason for punting this package ?
>
> well, for me gtk+-1.2 and no intentions of upgrading it to version 2
> from upstream is a valid reason

punting a package because you disagree with the implementation is not a valid
reason. nor is an upstream who hasnt touched a package in ages. there are
plenty of packages in system which could be punted using this reasoning
leaving Gentoo broken.

> BUT it doesn't draw the graphics correctly and seems broken with current
> mesa -- draws white artifacts.

if the package doesnt function properly, that is a reason. it runs fine for
me, but i'm not interested in supporting the package.
-mike
Re: Re: Lastrite: x11-misc/fsv [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 28 July 2007, Ryan Hill wrote:
> But the point is upstream not
> maintaining something is not reason enough for removing it. Upstream
> not maintaining it and it being broken is. Upstream not maintaining it
> and it being an unwanted pain in the ass is also popular one.

all correct
-mike
Re: Lastrite: x11-misc/fsv [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:

>> > in other words, you have no real reason for punting this package ?
>>
>> well, for me gtk+-1.2 and no intentions of upgrading it to version 2
>> from upstream is a valid reason
>
> punting a package because you disagree with the implementation is not a
> valid reason. nor is an upstream who hasnt touched a package in ages.
> there are plenty of packages in system which could be punted using this
> reasoning leaving Gentoo broken.

I tried to get some clarity on this wrt bug 140498 ("GTK+-1.2 needs to
die" ;-)) which seemed to contradict Mr Frysinger. Summary:
<dev> "Upstream no longer maintaining it is a fine reason, and commonly
given.. system, kernel, and toolchain are special." [maintainer's
discretion for most stuff iow]

aiui, if there are no bugs the package goes to maintainer-wanted so a user
can pick it up for sunrise.

Re: Lastrite: x11-misc/fsv [ In reply to ]
Steve Long wrote:

> aiui, if there are no bugs the package goes to maintainer-wanted so a user
> can pick it up for sunrise.

Almost. Sunrise can only handle maintainer-needed packages; those that
aren't in the tree yet.

--
dirtyepic you'd be tossed up or wash up, the narrator relates
gentoo org in a spartan antarctican walk for many days

Re: Lastrite: x11-misc/fsv [ In reply to ]
Ryan Hill wrote:
> Steve Long wrote:
>
>> aiui, if there are no bugs the package goes to maintainer-wanted so a user
>> can pick it up for sunrise.
>
> Almost. Sunrise can only handle maintainer-needed packages; those that
> aren't in the tree yet.

Bah, I screwed that up. s/needed/wanted/ So yeah, you're right, if it
was removed it could go into Sunrise. But the point is upstream not