yet all basic features I wanted this filesystem to have are already
there. Now I would like to focus on quality and robustness, and that
is why external opinion would be very useful. If anyone here uses
rdiff-backup and would like to take look and then inform me about the
results, I would be very happy.

--
Filip Gruszczyñski
éí¢‡^¾§¶Š(® šŠX§‚X¬
Re: Re: archfs - filesystem for rdiff-backup archives [ In reply to ]
> Er it's been pointed out to me that this is a Google SoC project, so
> apologies for the beginners info. (I'd forgotten your earlier post.)

Oh, no problem, I am a beginner after all :-) And I always forget to
add project's homepage
to the message :-/

> BTW I don't recommend autotools (there's a reason they're called autohell ;)

Yeah, now I know that myself ;-)

> especially if you're not writing from scratch. (That's why you get all
> those redundant configure checks..) A simple system.mk which gets included
> in the makefile is a lot easier for everyone. ion3 (which is now in mabi's
> overlay iirc) does this, and it's a doddle to configure. (I think it was
> one or two sed calls.)

Well, you are third person, that is telling me that (though you all
differ with alternative tools - from CMake, to pkg-config, to what you
are suggesting now). If only I knew it, when I was getting down to it.
Unfortunately, my lack of experience doesn't make this project any
easier, it's my first 3 months, that I'm doing anything like this.
However, for the time being I will stick to what I could create with
those autotools - I get shivers, when I imagine, that I have to learn
something like this again ;-)

--
Filip Gruszczyński
z{h¡×¯éí¢Š+‚f¢–)à–+-
Re: archfs - filesystem for rdiff-backup archives [ In reply to ]
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "archfs".

Perhaps a link to the homepage/ overlay might be handy? ;)

This is not "something that's about the technical development of our tree"
so it might be considered off-topic (interesting though it might be.) As a
general rule, the Unsupported Software forum is a good place to get
feedback from users til something is releasable. (Apologies if you've
already gone thru that process, just mention it and give the url in that
case.) At that point getting feedback from devs as to it's suitability for
inclusion is acceptable, aiui, although even then you're probably just
going to get told to get on #gentoo-sunrise (irc.freenode.org) and work on
getting it into the main overlay before it makes the portage tree. (Unless
ofc a dev wants to pick it up out of interest.)

Re: archfs - filesystem for rdiff-backup archives [ In reply to ]
http://code.google.com/p/archfs/ for anyone else who's interested.