Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Jose Luis Rivero (YosWinK) wrote:
> I'm missing some people in the nominees list which everytime they appear
> is to give solutions or ideas in a positive way, what for me is a
> pleasure to find:
>
> lu_zero (Luca Barbato)

Thank you, I gladly accept. =)

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
Re: [gentoo-council] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
i dont think he'll accept, but i dont see Flameeyes name yet ...
-mike
Re: Re: [gentoo-council] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i dont think he'll accept, but i dont see Flameeyes name yet ...
> -mike

+1

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
Re: Re: [gentoo-council] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 22:52 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i dont think he'll accept, but i dont see Flameeyes name yet ...

Fine then, I nominate the biggest flamer of them all, Flameeyes :)

PS
You have to accept, blood in blood out ;)

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java
Re: Re: [gentoo-council] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 17 July 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i dont think he'll accept, but i dont see Flameeyes name yet ...

his ISP decided to poop on him for a while, so he contacted me off list to say
he accepts
-mike
Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:47:42 +0200
Markus Ullmann <jokey@gentoo.org> wrote:

[..snip..]
> welp
[..snip..]

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 23:29:15 +0200
Raúl Porcel <armin76@gentoo.org> wrote:

[..snip..]
> - -welp
[..snip..]

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:06:34 +0100
George Prowse <cokehabit@gmail.com> wrote:

[..snip..]
> welp
[..snip..]

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:27:18 -0400
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> You've all stated that you accept or don't accept (but this is
> targeted at the acceptors, sorry non-acceptors) but the people that
> accept haven't really given much reason as to why they would be a good
> candidate.
[..snip..]
> --
> Doug Goldstein

Yes, I will accept.

My main plans over the next few years would be to improve
communications (and (more importantly?) openness), not just between
developers, but also between herds, users, the Council, the Trustees,
upstream and so on. I'd particularly want to ensure that there is better
communication between us (Gentoo) and projects such as Sabayon Linux
and Ainkaboot, as I believe that we can all make use of each other's
skills and ideas to provide better distribution(s). I'd encourage
"innovative" ideas and projects, such as the inclusion of, for example,
XGL/Compiz/Beryl/Compiz-Fusion or whatever it's called these days. I'd
also encourage the introduction of targets, as discussed by antarus on
the -core ML. And all that kinda stuff.

Now, I'm sure that a number of you would prefer everything to be
closed, kept private within a number of individuals, but if that *is*
the case, why on Earth are you involved with an *Open* Source project,
such as Gentoo? Wouldn't you be better off using the likes of Adobe's
products and Microsoft's products?

Yes, I am quite young. Yes, I could be considered relatively new to the
project. Yes, I might make mistakes, but I also *learn* from mistakes,
which some people seem to find hard. Being young/relatively new to the
project will allow me to potentially bring a fresh view on things, that
some of you old fuddy-duddies may or may not have thought of before.
And isn't that what Gentoo is about? New ideas, innovation, fresh
views, etc, etc. Anyway. Meh. I'm starting to waffle on.

And I'm moving house at the beginning of August, I'm also going to
France sometime in August. Just some advanced warnings that I may not
be around so much during the voting period.

Bai!
Re: Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
On 2007.07.21 10:47, Peter Weller wrote:

[snip]

> Yes, I will accept.
>
> My main plans over the next few years would be to improve
> communications (and (more importantly?) openness), not just between
> developers, but also between herds, users, the Council, the Trustees,
> upstream and so on. I'd particularly want to ensure that there is
> better
> communication between us (Gentoo) and projects such as Sabayon Linux
> and Ainkaboot, as I believe that we can all make use of each other's
> skills and ideas to provide better distribution(s). I'd encourage
> "innovative" ideas and projects, such as the inclusion of, for
> example,
> XGL/Compiz/Beryl/Compiz-Fusion or whatever it's called these days.
> I'd
> also encourage the introduction of targets, as discussed by antarus
> on
> the -core ML. And all that kinda stuff.
>
> Now, I'm sure that a number of you would prefer everything to be
> closed, kept private within a number of individuals, but if that *is*
> the case, why on Earth are you involved with an *Open* Source
> project,
> such as Gentoo? Wouldn't you be better off using the likes of Adobe's
> products and Microsoft's products?
>
> Yes, I am quite young. Yes, I could be considered relatively new to
> the
> project. Yes, I might make mistakes, but I also *learn* from
> mistakes,
> which some people seem to find hard. Being young/relatively new to
> the
> project will allow me to potentially bring a fresh view on things,
> that
> some of you old fuddy-duddies may or may not have thought of before.
> And isn't that what Gentoo is about? New ideas, innovation, fresh
> views, etc, etc. Anyway. Meh. I'm starting to waffle on.
>
> And I'm moving house at the beginning of August, I'm also going to
> France sometime in August. Just some advanced warnings that I may not
> be around so much during the voting period.
>
> Bai!

Peter,

That's the beginnings of a good election manifesto. All the candidates
need to explain, if they are elected :-

1. What they will do
2. Why they will do it
3. How they will do it
4. Timescales for their plans.

This information will allow the electorate to choose a team with
similar aims, so we get a cohesive council, not a collection of
individuals trying to take Gentoo in different directions.

Any candidate unwilling to prepare such a manifesto should withdraw now
as they clearly don't have the time or interest to take an active seat
on the council.

Like it or not, the council is more of a social/political body than a
development body.

Regards,

Roy Bamford,
(NeddySeagoon)
RE: Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>On 2007.07.21 10:47, Peter Weller wrote:
>>
>> My main plans over the next few years would be to improve
>> communications (and (more importantly?) openness), not just between
>> developers, but also between herds, users, the Council, the Trustees,
>> upstream and so on.
>>
>> I'd particularly want to ensure that there is
>> better communication between us (Gentoo) and projects such as Sabayon
>> Linux and Ainkaboot, as I believe that we can all make use of each
>> other's skills and ideas to provide better distribution(s).
>>
>> I'd encourage "innovative" ideas and projects, such as the inclusion of,
>> for example, XGL/Compiz/Beryl/Compiz-Fusion or whatever it's called
>> these days.
>>
>> I'd also encourage the introduction of targets, as discussed by antarus
on
>> the -core ML. And all that kinda stuff.

> That's the beginnings of a good election manifesto. All the candidates
need
> to explain, if they are elected :-
> 1. What they will do
> 2. Why they will do it
> 3. How they will do it
> 4. Timescales for their plans.

> This information will allow the electorate to choose a team with similar
aims, so
> we get a cohesive council, not a collection of individuals trying to take
Gentoo
> in different directions.

I like this line of thinking, it really helps the rest of us in our voting
decisions when we know what your plans are. I also agree with Neddy when he
says it would be best if we could elect a council with similar ideas instead
of each person potentially having completely different ideas.
That said, I don't think the questions Neddy stated above should wait to be
answered until someone is elected, we'd really need to know that up front to
make an informed decision.
Welp it appears to me that you had four plans in your email, and by the way
thank you for being first to state them. Could you go back over them and
respond to the how you would plan on doing it and under what time frame?
(Innovative ideas are great, but don't mean much if they cant be executed.)

Kind regards,
Christina Fullam
Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | GWN Author

Re: Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:47:13 +0100
Peter Weller <welp@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I'd particularly want to ensure that there is
> better communication between us (Gentoo) and projects such as Sabayon
> Linux and Ainkaboot, as I believe that we can all make use of each
> other's skills and ideas to provide better distribution(s).

We were just talking about this last night in #gentoo-dev, so I'm glad
to see you share the feeling. I blogged about making Gentoo a better
tool yesterday, and a big part of that is communicating with the people
who are doing so.

Thanks,
Donnie
Re: Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 13:31 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
> That's the beginnings of a good election manifesto. All the candidates
> need to explain, if they are elected :-
>
> 1. What they will do
> 2. Why they will do it
> 3. How they will do it
> 4. Timescales for their plans.

5. Experience doing similar things in other arenas
6. Why they think they're qualified for the position
7. How they plan on adding the Council work into their normal Gentoo
work load
8. How much time they have to dedicate to Council tasks

These last two are probably some of the most important to me, since I
have seen first-hand how much time the Council can take. Here's a
glimpse, for the rest of you... When the Council was working on the CoC,
I spent in excess of 50 hours in one week working solely on the CoC.
This means I put my actual paying job on the back burner for the Council
because I pretty much had to do so. The Council is *not* only a once a
month job. You're a Council member every hour of every day for a year.

> This information will allow the electorate to choose a team with
> similar aims, so we get a cohesive council, not a collection of
> individuals trying to take Gentoo in different directions.

I know that I will likely be choosing people of a like mind to myself.
I'll also probably be picking people the *least* likely to be pushing
for a ton of changes, simply because I also don't think we need 7 people
pushing in 7 directions only trying to get *their* ideas enacted.

> Any candidate unwilling to prepare such a manifesto should withdraw now
> as they clearly don't have the time or interest to take an active seat
> on the council.

Agreed.

> Like it or not, the council is more of a social/political body than a
> development body.

This is really true. While the Council is the main technical body, we
tend to make technical decisions very quickly and without controversy.
Social/political issues are almost always very long-running and tend to
take up more of our time. If I were to guess, I would say that 90% of
what we do is technical, but the 10% that is non-technical takes up 90%
of our time.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Blackace wrote:
> I'd like to nominate:
>
> vapier
> tsunam
> nightmorph
> seemant
> avenj
> christel
>
> Although most of them will probably decline, I think they would do an
> excellent job straightening out Gentoo's heading and have the barnacles
> to perform the requisite keelhauling.

I appreciate the nomination by you and others, but after a whole month
of thinking on this, I must decline, mostly for reasons of time commitment.

Council actually isn't a job I'd want to do; I'm not out to "be in
charge." I'm sure I'd take the same approach that I would to everything
else I do; do the job that's before me, but I don't think I'd be able to
devote enough time to do a *good* job. I've no problem doing any
necessary keelhauling etc., but I'm not sure that I have the time. And
no matter how fast I'd try to learn, I'm not starting off with the same
detailed knowledge of ebuilds and Portage that the other candidates have.

Meanwhile, I'll continue making a difference within Gentoo by doing
documentation for any and all interested parties, and anything else I
can contribute to, like the GWN. It's not council work, but I'll
continue to try to make Gentoo better for everyone, at least in my
little corner. :)
RE: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
> From: Josh Saddler [mailto:nightmorph@gentoo.org]
>
> Meanwhile, I'll continue making a difference within Gentoo by
> doing documentation for any and all interested parties, and
> anything else I can contribute to, like the GWN. It's not
> council work, but I'll continue to try to make Gentoo better
> for everyone, at least in my little corner. :)

Articles, articles, and more articles please! ;-)

~C

Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
nominating:

welp
taviso

others are nominated already ;)

-Jokey

Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Markus Ullmann schrieb:
> nominating:
> others are nominated already ;)

d'oh, forgot fellow

dertobi123

-Jokey
Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Jan Kundrát wrote:
> I nominate Wernfried Haas (amne). Based on a thorough and detailed
> review of Gentoo state-of-affair that we did together over several beers
> some time ago when he was at Prague, I'm sure he's one of the best
> candidates for the human, caring part of the Council.

I second that, simply because his teams do such a good job. I have felt
unfairly treated, I admit, but I'd rather they were too tight than too lax.
And a cooling off is refreshing! Amne has always handled the situation
professionally when things were tense, and has always seemed chilled at
other times.

Dunno about this cz conspiracy tho.. heh no-one will vote for him now ;)

Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:20:55 -0700
> Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 18:23 +0300, Petteri Räty wrote:
>> > How is being a devrel member important for the table? I don't think
>> > it's any more special than any other TLP.
>>
>> It is very important in the case of Council members as the Council is
>> the escalation point for Developer Relations appeals.
>
> The Council is the escalation point for QA appeals too. At least in
> theory...

Um what does the hanging "in theory..." mean? If you mean that the Council
has not supported the QA project, could you state so clearly and provide
examples (I'm sure you have several pages of links to behaviour you
disagree with, 5 or so of the most outrageous examples of said behaviour
would suffice.) If not, could you state your point clearly or kindly keep
it to yourself?

Honestly, unclear language on a *technical* list.. tsk tsk. Hasn't he heard
of the Plain English bka Campaign?

Oh sorry, amne, my finger slipped.

Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Davide Cendron schrieb:
>> jokey

Thanks for your nomination :) I'm accepting, too.

greetings with nightvision goggles
-jokey
Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Torsten Veller schrieb:
> Let me please point out that no infrastructure team member is
> on the list right now.
>
> As infra is often involved in implementing council decisions we should
> take care that the information flows. IMHO the easiest way to achieve this
> is electing an infra member to the council.

In the contrary. We should see that not too much power/responsibility is
concentrated on a single person.

Since...
a) This guarantees that the council comes to a decision which is not
influenced by the (direct and already known) interest of it's members
and
b) Reduces the risk for Gentoo when someone with more than one key
position leaves

And if someone has to be in a council/whatsoever to get the relevant
information, something else is broken. And tweaking the election
procedure to reach that someone from a special project is elected is
somehow questionable, don't you think?

Cheers,
Tiziano
Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08 [ In reply to ]
Torsten Veller wrote:
> | for the quick low down:
> | - nominations are from July 1 through July 31
> | - anyone can nominate
> | - only Gentoo devs may be nominated
> |
> | so get with the nominating people !

I noticed Kumba isn't nominated, so I'll throw him into the ring.

--
dirtyepic salesman said this vacuum's guaranteed
gentoo org it could suck an ancient virus from the sea