Mailing List Archive

irregular metdata.xml check
Hi all,

welcome to the IMC - irregular metdata.xml check, issue 1.
As can be seen from the statistcis below, the herd tags have been fixed.
Thanks to those who have helped with the cleanup.

Whats next?
==========
The current policy in the devmanual demands a maintainer tag -
nevertheless half the tree is without it.
The policy should perhaps be changed to reflect the reality.

Also, many ebuilds put the herds email address as an additional
<maintainer>. This is simply redundant and unless complaints are raised,
all herd <maintainer> tags will be removed and replaced by the
appropriate <herd> tag instead. Work on this will start over the weekend.

Statistics
=================================

Total number of packages: 11701

metadata.xml missing 0
<herd> missing 0
<herd> empty 0
<herd> unknown 0
<herd>=no-herd 1880

<maintainer> missing 6616
<maintainer> retired 0
<maintainer> is a herd 1306
<maintainer> unknown 193
<maintainer>=maintainer-needed 438

Proxy maintainer without gentoo association 11
Unmaintained packages 596

The full metadata-check.log is available from:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~bangert/metadata-check.log

The script used to generate the log can be found here:
http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/bangert/browser/scripts/check-metadata.rb

Feedback welcome.
Kind regards
Thilo
Re: irregular metdata.xml check [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 19:49 +0200, Thilo Bangert wrote:
> Also, many ebuilds put the herds email address as an additional
> <maintainer>. This is simply redundant and unless complaints are raised,
> all herd <maintainer> tags will be removed and replaced by the
> appropriate <herd> tag instead. Work on this will start over the weekend.

Remember that some do this legitimately. If the herd is, for example,
"portage" but the email/bugzilla address is dev-portage@gentoo.org then
I think it is a good idea to leave the maintainer tag alone. Remember
that this is an example and isn't what is actually in the tree. I just
used it as a simple example. The point is that in cases where the herd
name doesn't equal the email address used for that herd, the maintainer
tag should probably be filled in with the proper email address.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Re: irregular metdata.xml check [ In reply to ]

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/48485

--
Timothy `Drizzt` Redaelli - http://dev.gentoo.org/~drizzt/
FreeSBIE Developer, Gentoo Developer, GUFI Staff
Re: irregular metdata.xml check [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:49:43PM +0200, Thilo Bangert wrote:
> Also, many ebuilds put the herds email address as an additional
> <maintainer>. This is simply redundant and unless complaints are raised,
> all herd <maintainer> tags will be removed and replaced by the
> appropriate <herd> tag instead. Work on this will start over the weekend.
No.

See the thread about automatic assignment for more about this.
More importantly, once the automatic stuff goes into play, the existence
of the herd tag will only matter on metadata that does not have any
other maintainer.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Council Member
Re: irregular metdata.xml check [ In reply to ]
"Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org> said:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:49:43PM +0200, Thilo Bangert wrote:
> > Also, many ebuilds put the herds email address as an additional
> > <maintainer>. This is simply redundant and unless complaints are
> > raised, all herd <maintainer> tags will be removed and replaced by
> > the appropriate <herd> tag instead. Work on this will start over the
> > weekend.
>
> No.
>
> See the thread about automatic assignment for more about this.
> More importantly, once the automatic stuff goes into play, the
> existence of the herd tag will only matter on metadata that does not
> have any other maintainer.

sorry - to have missed this earlier.
from your proposal:
>Case 2 - Metadata contains a single maintainer
> The herd field is not used.

so, you want to ignore the herd tag, as soon as there is a single
maintainer tag? why?

we have <herd> on every single package in the tree (well ~1900 packages
with <herd>no-herd</herd>). my guess is that most of the roughly 4500
packages that currently have a <herd> and a <maintainer> which is not a
<herd>, will need to adjust their metadata to reflect the situation where
the maintainer should get the bug asssigned and the herd gets CC'd...

IMHO the herd should always get an email on bugs with packages belonging
to the herd... if this is not the case, what is the purpose of the herd?

or asked differently: what can the herd in <maintainer> give you that the
<herd> can't?

other than that i (still) agree with the overall proposal. lets just make
sure to codify the policy which has been agreed upon...

regards
Thilo
Re: irregular metdata.xml check [ In reply to ]