Mailing List Archive

Re: Client-serve flags (again ;) (was Re: New eclass: gkrellm-plugin)
Robin H. Johnson wrote:

> It depends hugely on the structure of the code-base. In MySQL for
> example, if you wanted to build only the server, you'd still need a big
> hunk of the shared code (it's one set of code, that is compiled in two
> different ways, once for the client, and once for the server), and
> building the server actually requires building the client anyway (plus
> the proper shared libs) thus splitting out the source for lib, client,
> server does not make sense.
>
> One of the other arguments I have against the split, and it applies to
> both CVS and MySQL - is that if you don't build the server, you cannot
> use src_test.

So fine if you have to you download and build both. Doesn't mean you want to
install it (although I agree it's nice that users have the server
automatically and disk space is yadda yadda..) Point really is that this is
a misuse of the minimal flag, it was acknowledged as such when first used
in this way (don't cha just love mailing-list archives? ;) and doesn't fit
users' needs because it was designed for a different purpose.

Seven ebuilds are already using server- what's wrong with that? Not every
pkg has to have it in IUSE, so in your example mySQL could carry on as is
and users who really care can run a script to get rid of the files they
don't want.