Mailing List Archive

Packages up for grabs: games-fps/chocolate-doom, games-fps/freedm, games-fps/freedm-data, games-fps/freedoom, games-fps/freedoom-data, games-fps/gzdoom, games-fps/prboom-plus, games-util/deutex
Hello,

I've been maintaining several Doom packages, but recently as I've picked
up more projects outside of Gentoo I have been pushing maintenance of
these Doom packages lower and lower on my To-Do list. I don't want them
to stay neglected, and since I don't see myself giving these packages
the attention they require, I'm offering them up for a new maintainer:

games-fps/chocolate-doom
games-fps/freedm
games-fps/freedm-data
games-fps/freedoom
games-fps/freedoom-data
games-fps/gzdoom
games-fps/prboom-plus
games-util/deutex

The chocolate-doom package has a lot of patches under the files
directory, but all of these should go away when version 3.1.0 is
released by upstream.[^1]

The freedm, freedm-data, freedoom, and freedoom-data packages are
closely related and share the same installation source; they should all
be updated at the same time for each release. There is already a Gentoo
bug open for the version 0.13.0 release.[^2] The maintainer of these
packages should also consider maintaining the deutex package which is
used to build the WAD files.

The gzdoom package already has a Gentoo bug open for the version 4.11.3
release, which will require adding a new dependency on the
media-libs/libwebp package.[^3] Two other Gentoo bugs[^4] are open
regarding musl support (which upstream does not support). Upstream can
sometimes be difficult to work with as they prefer users download the
prebuilt binaries, use the bundled libraries, etc. -- philosophies that
naturally clash with Gentoo ideals. However, they do accept patches so
it's not all bad, and more recently vesion bumps have been pretty smooth
with no need to send patches upstream.

The prboom-plus package technically has a Gentoo bug open for a 2.6.66
version bump[^5], but upstream considers the project superseded by
dsda-doom[^6] project.

Sincerely,

William Breathitt Gray

[^1]: https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/pull/1623