Mailing List Archive

Introducing .mailmap?
Hi,

We should consider adding a .mailmap to gentoo.git.

There's a few reasons:
* We should accurately map pre-developer-status contributions.
For example, it'd be nice if sam@cmpct.info was mapped correctly
into sam@gentoo.org when doing git blame.

We know sam@cmpct.info and sam@gentoo.org are the same person, it
feels coherent to tell git that via the mechanism intended for it.

* It's useful for when people retire as well. Not that I plan on going
anywhere any time soon (sorry!), but this is both a useful way for
people to better "retain credit" *and* for e.g. 'git blame' to work
better if they then come back as a contributor but not a developer, which
happens on occasion, or if they occasionally contribute with a
different email address (we have this for some devs who contribute
under a "work context" too).

* It allows people to have git respecting changing their name for
various reasons (e.g. we've had contributors start using their real name
and vice-versa over the years).

I was considering this anyway but xgqt pinged me about it after
I mentioned it on a recent bug (https://bugs.gentoo.org/836936#c12) as well
which made me think there's perhaps some merit in it.

thanks,
sam
Re: Introducing .mailmap? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for this Sam.
I would like to see this added to the main Gentoo repo but also urge
maintainers of other active Gentoo repos to add it to theirs,
portage(!), kde & lisp overlay, soko, etc.

For a quick reference here is the Exherbo's .mailmap file:
https://gitlab.exherbo.org/exherbo/arbor/-/blob/master/.mailmap?ref_type=heads

--
Have a great day!

~ Maciej XGQT Bar?

xgqt@gentoo.org
Gentoo Linux developer
(dotnet, emacs, math, ml, nim, scheme, sci)
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Xgqt
9B0A 4C5D 02A3 B43C 9D6F D6B1 14D7 4A1F 43A6 AC3C
Re: Introducing .mailmap? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 08:39:17AM +0000, Sam James wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We should consider adding a .mailmap to gentoo.git.

yes, I support its addition. All 3 points make sense to me.

Petr

Re: Introducing .mailmap? [ In reply to ]
Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> writes:

> We should consider adding a .mailmap to gentoo.git.
>
> There's a few reasons:
> * We should accurately map pre-developer-status contributions.
> For example, it'd be nice if sam@cmpct.info was mapped correctly
> into sam@gentoo.org when doing git blame.
>
> We know sam@cmpct.info and sam@gentoo.org are the same person, it
> feels coherent to tell git that via the mechanism intended for it.
>
> * It's useful for when people retire as well. Not that I plan on going
> anywhere any time soon (sorry!), but this is both a useful way for
> people to better "retain credit" *and* for e.g. 'git blame' to work
> better if they then come back as a contributor but not a developer, which
> happens on occasion, or if they occasionally contribute with a
> different email address (we have this for some devs who contribute
> under a "work context" too).
>
> * It allows people to have git respecting changing their name for
> various reasons (e.g. we've had contributors start using their real name
> and vice-versa over the years).
>
> I was considering this anyway but xgqt pinged me about it after
> I mentioned it on a recent bug (https://bugs.gentoo.org/836936#c12) as well
> which made me think there's perhaps some merit in it.
>
> thanks,
> sam

+1. I'd like my old contributions mapped too ;)
--
Arsen Arsenovi?
Re: Introducing .mailmap? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 13, 2024, at 02:39 CST, Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We should consider adding a .mailmap to gentoo.git.
>
> There's a few reasons:
> [...]

+1

You can add

* allows to fix up accidental commits with wrong e-mails as well. *cough*

Best,
Matthias
Re: Introducing .mailmap? [ In reply to ]
Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> We should consider adding a .mailmap to gentoo.git.

Done in aa4b05d520ebfd044d8a852d7d48937ab160f48d.