last rites.

Having a dedicated resolution (technical name RESO/PKGREMOVED) would
make this clear. Furthermore, it would make it easier to reopen bugs
if the packages are ever reintroduced.

WDYT?

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: [RFC] Gentoo Bugzilla: new resolution for bugs closed due to last rites [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 12:03:52PM +0100, Micha? Górny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we should add a new bug resolution that would more precisely
> cover closing bugs due to packages being removed. Right now, whichever
> resolution we use (be it WONTFIX, OBSOLETE, etc.), we aren't able to
> easily distinguish whether the resolution was used "normally" or due to
> last rites.
>
> Having a dedicated resolution (technical name RESO/PKGREMOVED) would
> make this clear. Furthermore, it would make it easier to reopen bugs
> if the packages are ever reintroduced.
>
> WDYT?

Sounds like it could be useful (that or some other way to identify
these if preferred), but think something that's missing either way
would be a way to automate/streamline it preferably without scripts.
Like additional actions for commit summaries (aka like 'Closes:').

In general think not many want to use bugz or do it manually on
removal. So these are often not even closed WONTFIX/OBSOLETE but
rather as FIXED through 'Closes:' regardless of what the devmanual
says (currently it instructs to do WONTFIX).
--
ionen
Re: [RFC] Gentoo Bugzilla: new resolution for bugs closed due to last rites [ In reply to ]
> I think we should add a new bug resolution that would more precisely
> cover closing bugs due to packages being removed. Right now, whichever
> resolution we use (be it WONTFIX, OBSOLETE, etc.), we aren't able to
> easily distinguish whether the resolution was used "normally" or due to
> last rites.
>
> Having a dedicated resolution (technical name RESO/PKGREMOVED) would
> make this clear. Furthermore, it would make it easier to reopen bugs
> if the packages are ever reintroduced.

Nice idea.

RESO/PKGREMOVED sounds very reasonable to me.

By the way debian calls it "archived" as in

Best,
Jonas
Re: [RFC] Gentoo Bugzilla: new resolution for bugs closed due to last rites [ In reply to ]
Ionen Wolkens <ionen@gentoo.org> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 12:03:52PM +0100, Micha? Górny wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think we should add a new bug resolution that would more precisely
>> cover closing bugs due to packages being removed. Right now, whichever
>> resolution we use (be it WONTFIX, OBSOLETE, etc.), we aren't able to
>> easily distinguish whether the resolution was used "normally" or due to
>> last rites.
>>
>> Having a dedicated resolution (technical name RESO/PKGREMOVED) would
>> make this clear. Furthermore, it would make it easier to reopen bugs
>> if the packages are ever reintroduced.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Sounds like it could be useful (that or some other way to identify
> these if preferred), but think something that's missing either way
> would be a way to automate/streamline it preferably without scripts.
> Like additional actions for commit summaries (aka like 'Closes:').
>
> In general think not many want to use bugz or do it manually on
> removal. So these are often not even closed WONTFIX/OBSOLETE but
> rather as FIXED through 'Closes:' regardless of what the devmanual
> says (currently it instructs to do WONTFIX).

Agreed. I like the idea, but for me, it's a non-starter unless we commit
to doing this (some bug tag like 'Removed:' or 'Last-rited:' or w/e for
commits) as well. It ends up being asked to be ignored/forgotten otherwise.