Mailing List Archive

Pseudo up-for-grabs: dev-lang/rust, dev-lang/rust-bin, virtual/rust
Hi all,

rust@ is essentially empty as gyakovlev is long-term away and
dev-lang/rust, dev-lang/rust-bin, virtual/rust, sys-devel/rust-std,
etc all need _at least one_ maintainer.

xen0n has been doing some of the bumps but he's only really doing
so drive-by (although with best-effort review) and isn't AFAIK
interested in maintaining Rust full-time.

gyakovlev had some notes at
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:GYakovlev/Rust_bump on bumping Rust,
might be that xen0n can improve that a little bit to improve handover if
necessary.

Ultimately, Rust needs an active maintainer who is on-top of the
ecosystem and able to handle the regular bumps every 6 weeks.

We already have a package needing not-in-tree rust-1.75.0
(https://bugs.gentoo.org/922880) which was only released 3-4 weeks
ago.

Please consider stepping forward if you rely on Rust. There's more
than enough advocates for it, there should be someone who is able
to then handle the packaging side.

thanks,
sam
Re: Pseudo up-for-grabs: dev-lang/rust, dev-lang/rust-bin, virtual/rust [ In reply to ]
On 1/24/24 23:56, Sam James wrote:
> Please consider stepping forward if you rely on Rust. There's more
> than enough advocates for it, there should be someone who is able
> to then handle the packaging side.

Is this something I could do as a proxy maintainer?
Re: Pseudo up-for-grabs: dev-lang/rust, dev-lang/rust-bin, virtual/rust [ In reply to ]
Randy Barlow <randy@electronsweatshop.com> writes:

> On 1/24/24 23:56, Sam James wrote:
>> Please consider stepping forward if you rely on Rust. There's more
>> than enough advocates for it, there should be someone who is able
>> to then handle the packaging side.
>
> Is this something I could do as a proxy maintainer?

Yes, no problem with that -- but would say that having a co-maintainer
(proxied or not) would still be good if you can.
Re: Pseudo up-for-grabs: dev-lang/rust, dev-lang/rust-bin, virtual/rust [ In reply to ]
I've opened https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/35085 with two
commits. The first adds myself as a maintainer, and the second adds Rust
1.75.0. 1.76.0 will release soon, so this is probably somewhat short lived.
Re: Pseudo up-for-grabs: dev-lang/rust, dev-lang/rust-bin, virtual/rust [ In reply to ]
I can also help with maintaining.

I heavily rely on rust on Gentoo, in my own coding endeavors as well as at work.

I saw the bumping notes involve quite of bit of compiling big packages, so maybe we can split up the work here.

--
Sent from Canary (https://canarymail.io)

Re: Pseudo up-for-grabs: dev-lang/rust, dev-lang/rust-bin, virtual/rust [ In reply to ]
On 1/30/24 10:40, Pascal Jäger wrote:
> I can also help with maintaining.

Fantastic!

> I saw the bumping notes involve quite of bit of compiling big packages,
> so maybe we can split up the work here.

Yes, testing it takes some time and it would be helpful to spread the
work out.