Mailing List Archive

[RFC] New category: dev-debug
Hi,

I'd like to propose adding a new dev-debug category. The description
could be:

Code debuggers and debugging-related tools.

Potential candidates include:

dev-util/ald: Assembly Language Debugger
dev-util/apitrace: Tool for tracing, analyzing, and debugging graphics APIs
dev-util/bpftrace: High-level tracing language for eBPF
dev-util/cgdb: A curses front-end for GDB, the GNU debugger
dev-util/d-feet: D-Feet is a powerful D-Bus debugger
dev-util/d-spy: D-spy is a blisteringly fast D-Bus debugger
dev-util/ddd: Graphical front-end for command-line debuggers
dev-util/edb-debugger: edb is a cross platform x86/x86-64 debugger, inspired by Ollydbg
dev-util/kdbg: Graphical debugger interface
dev-util/leaktracer: Trace and analyze memory leaks in C++ programs
dev-util/lldb: The LLVM debugger
dev-util/ltrace: trace library calls made at runtime
dev-util/pretrace: start dynamically linked applications under debugging environment
dev-util/pwndbg: A GDB plug-in that makes debugging with GDB suck less
dev-util/strace: Useful diagnostic, instructional, and debugging tool
dev-util/sysdig: A system exploration and troubleshooting tool
dev-util/systemtap: A linux trace/probe tool
dev-util/valgrind: An open-source memory debugger for GNU/Linux
media-gfx/renderdoc: A stand-alone graphics debugging tool
sys-devel/gdb: GNU debugger
sys-devel/gdb-apple: Apple branch of the GNU Debugger, Developer Tools 4.3

This was originally prompted by bug 920438 [1], pointing out that LLDB
and GDB belong to the same category. dev-util/ currently carries 428
packages, so I suppose it makes sense to split it some more, especially
when we can clearly distinguish some more specific groups.

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/920438

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: [RFC] New category: dev-debug [ In reply to ]
Micha? Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose adding a new dev-debug category. The description
> could be:
>
> Code debuggers and debugging-related tools.

Sounds good.

> Potential candidates include:
>
> [...]

dev-util/seer as well would be a good fit.

> This was originally prompted by bug 920438 [1], pointing out that LLDB
> and GDB belong to the same category. dev-util/ currently carries 428
> packages, so I suppose it makes sense to split it some more, especially
> when we can clearly distinguish some more specific groups.

Does anything dominate dev-util post-move or is it a real mix?

Re: [RFC] New category: dev-debug [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2024-01-07 at 13:20 +0000, Sam James wrote:

> > This was originally prompted by bug 920438 [1], pointing out that LLDB
> > and GDB belong to the same category.  dev-util/ currently carries 428
> > packages, so I suppose it makes sense to split it some more, especially
> > when we can clearly distinguish some more specific groups.
> >

> Does anything dominate dev-util post-move or is it a real mix?

Nothing immediately stands out but there might be too many packages to
see a pattern.

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: [RFC] New category: dev-debug [ In reply to ]
On 07/01/2024 13.48, Micha? Górny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose adding a new dev-debug category. The description
> could be:
>
> Code debuggers and debugging-related tools.

Seems sensible. I'd probably drop the "Code" from the description, since
packages like d-spy do not primarily debug code.

I assume profilers are explicitly not part of this category?

- Flow
Re: [RFC] New category: dev-debug [ In reply to ]
Florian Schmaus <flow@gentoo.org> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On 07/01/2024 13.48, Micha? Górny wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to propose adding a new dev-debug category. The
>> description
>> could be:
>> Code debuggers and debugging-related tools.
>
> Seems sensible. I'd probably drop the "Code" from the description,
> since packages like d-spy do not primarily debug code.
>
> I assume profilers are explicitly not part of this category?

leio had the same question and we came up with a list of about 5-6
packages at least which would fit in a dev-profile category...

Re: [RFC] New category: dev-debug [ In reply to ]
On 10/01/2024 12.01, Sam James wrote:

> Florian Schmaus <flow@gentoo.org> writes:
>
>> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>> On 07/01/2024 13.48, Micha? Górny wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'd like to propose adding a new dev-debug category. The
>>> description
>>> could be:
>>> Code debuggers and debugging-related tools.
>>
>> Seems sensible. I'd probably drop the "Code" from the description,
>> since packages like d-spy do not primarily debug code.
>>
>> I assume profilers are explicitly not part of this category?
>
> leio had the same question and we came up with a list of about 5-6
> packages at least which would fit in a dev-profile category...

Right and a sensible next step would probably be an extra category for
those.

The problem is that that the lines between profilers, tracers, and
performance counter tools sometimes gets blurry. But I think it could be
fine to shove those all into one category, but maybe dev-perf then
(e.g., "Tools for performance analysis")?

- Flow
Re: [RFC] New category: dev-debug [ In reply to ]
La 07.01.2024 14:48, Micha? Górny a scris:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose adding a new dev-debug category. The description
> could be:
>
> Code debuggers and debugging-related tools.
>
> Potential candidates include:

dev-util/rr would be a good candidate too.

Regards,

Viorel