Mailing List Archive

Sunrise: way forward, semi-official, review
To my fellow developers and users,

with the council meeting not much has changed for Sunrise:
"Sunrise is still suspended/closed in overlays until the details can be
hashed out"

And that is what we are doing now. We have moved the overlay to
gentoo-sunrise.org to analyze, improve and hash out the details. So the
Sunrise project is now "semi-official". While being an official Gentoo
Project run by Gentoo developers it is not currently hosted on gentoo.org.

We have also implemented review and added the overlay to layman. It works
like follows:
- users are only able to commit to sunrise/
- developers merge the commit to reviewed/ when they are happy with it
review/ is what is available in layman.

Adding ebuilds from bugzilla is regaining speed and we are looking for new
developers and users to help this project grow. Just drop by in
#gentoo-sunrise if you want to help reviewing or have comments and
suggestions.

Kind regards,
Stefan Schweizer

Re: Sunrise: way forward, semi-official, review [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 17:05 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
> And that is what we are doing now. We have moved the overlay to
> gentoo-sunrise.org to analyze, improve and hash out the details. So the
> Sunrise project is now "semi-official". While being an official Gentoo
> Project run by Gentoo developers it is not currently hosted on gentoo.org.

It doesn't become an official Gentoo project by being run by 'official'
Gentoo developers. There is no such thing as 'semi-official' and as such
the move away from the gentoo domain indicates it has nothing to do with
Gentoo and makes this part of the several third-party Gentoo ebuild
sites around. Good luck with that, but don't try to put a Gentoo
stamp-of-approval on it.

- foser
Re: Sunrise: way forward, semi-official, review [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 05:31:19PM +0200, foser wrote:
> It doesn't become an official Gentoo project by being run by 'official'
> Gentoo developers. There is no such thing as 'semi-official' and as such
> the move away from the gentoo domain indicates it has nothing to do with
> Gentoo and makes this part of the several third-party Gentoo ebuild
> sites around. Good luck with that, but don't try to put a Gentoo
> stamp-of-approval on it.

I agree with foser on this. You are of course free to run Project
Sunrise on non *.gentoo.org - this is what I have suggested all along
- but this also means that the project is not official.

Meanwhile, we've had an interesting brain-storm in #gentoo-userrel on
freenode IRC about other ways to improve the user-developer
relations. Stay tuned for more information.

Regards,
Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd