of course.

(Currently, I run emerge --sync in all virtual machines.)

Thanks!
Re: Sharing portage? [ In reply to ]
Molle Bestefich wrote:
> Hi
>
> Follow-up question to the backup thingy.
>
> Is there an easy way to share Portage's database between multiple
> virtual machines?

unionfs is your friend =)

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero

Re: Sharing portage? [ In reply to ]
Molle Bestefich wrote:
> Hi
>
> Follow-up question to the backup thingy.
>
> Is there an easy way to share Portage's database between multiple
> virtual machines?
>
> Optimally, I would emerge --sync and the results would land in a
> filesystem that I'd share between VMs, so I don't have to do emerge
> --sync in each and all of them. The filesystem could perhaps be
> readonly to the virtual machines, except for the one doing the --sync
> of course.

I share /usr/portage across several machines as an nfs mount. 'emerge
--sync' is done on only one machine.

Until recently, 'emerge --metadata' was still needed on the other
machines, but thanks to the metadata_overlay database, this is no longer
necessary. And most emerge-related activities are much, much faster.

[.To use the new database module, with portage-2.1, put

in /etc/portage/modules:
portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database

in /etc/make.conf:
FEATURE="-metadata-transfer"

and remove /var/cache/edb/dep/\${PORTDIR} ]

To have distfiles safely shared across the many machines, you need
FEATURES="distlocks" and you'll need to relocate (or mount separately)
${DISTDIR} if ${PORTDIR} is read-only.

Also, I think you're getting into questions that should be on -user. ;)

j.
Re: Sharing portage? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 15:31 +0200, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> Hi
>
> Follow-up question to the backup thingy.
>
> Is there an easy way to share Portage's database between multiple
> virtual machines?
>
> Optimally, I would emerge --sync and the results would land in a
> filesystem that I'd share between VMs, so I don't have to do emerge
> --sync in each and all of them. The filesystem could perhaps be
> readonly to the virtual machines, except for the one doing the --sync
> of course.
>
> (Currently, I run emerge --sync in all virtual machines.)

I current use NFS to share my portage tree at home. All you need is to
store the portage tree on one machine. I would suggest the actual
machine the virtual machines run on, rather than the virtual machines
themselves, but you really can put them anywhere. You want the tree to
be writable, too, so that you can sync from any machine and also because
of distfiles.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
Re: Sharing portage? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:02:59 -0400
Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> wrote:

> You want the tree to
> be writable, too, so that you can sync from any machine and also because
> of distfiles.

Or you can put distfiles dir outside of portage by adjusting the $DISTDIR
variable in make.conf.

--
Andrej "Ticho" Kacian <ticho at gentoo dot org>
Gentoo Linux Developer - net-mail, antivirus, sound, x86
Re: Sharing portage? [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Adamczewski wrote:
> Molle Bestefich wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Follow-up question to the backup thingy.
>>
>>Is there an easy way to share Portage's database between multiple
>>virtual machines?
>>
>>Optimally, I would emerge --sync and the results would land in a
>>filesystem that I'd share between VMs, so I don't have to do emerge
>>--sync in each and all of them. The filesystem could perhaps be
>>readonly to the virtual machines, except for the one doing the --sync
>>of course.
>

> I share /usr/portage across several machines as an nfs mount. 'emerge
> --sync' is done on only one machine.
>
> Until recently, 'emerge --metadata' was still needed on the other
> machines, but thanks to the metadata_overlay database, this is no longer
> necessary. And most emerge-related activities are much, much faster.
>
> [.To use the new database module, with portage-2.1, put
>
> in /etc/portage/modules:
> portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database
>
> in /etc/make.conf:
> FEATURE="-metadata-transfer"
>
> and remove /var/cache/edb/dep/\${PORTDIR} ]
Please Please Please read the docs before using metadata_overlay; there
are some stipulations you need to follow when turning it on,
specifically "you cannot edit eclasses". Otherwise, let it loose ;)