Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:21:14 -0400
Curtis Napier <curtis119@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Instead, I'm now the "Web Coordinator". I proposed this new role to
> the Infra Leads and met no resistance or objections so I have taken
> the initiative and created the role. Also, neysx and I together were
> approached and offered to be the new www node administrators as a
> team. Of course we both said yes. Official Infra Monkey at last! :D

Congrats on your newly acquired monkeyship - here, have a banana! :)

I'd like to say that I myself appreciate your efforts (which are
nicely described in detail in parent post) very much, and wish you good
luck.

I'm sure the rest of the team feels the same, I just felt like saying
it. :)

I'm looking forward to see the magic happen!

Kind regards,
--
Andrej

Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
On Monday 10 April 2006 14:08, Curtis Napier wrote:
> I honestly think we can make it happen if we all pitch in.

a simple news item on the front page + GWN request could prob gather a lot of
attention

> other WM's/desktops can also be done if someone is willing to do it.
> Like E17 or XFCE, etc... Even if they don't get full custom themes they
> can still use the icons and wallpapers and the qt/gtk theme will apply
> to the apps.

there's already parts of a Gentoo theme floating around for e17 ... i can look
into it
-mike
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 15:37, Grant Goodyear wrote:
>> In any event, I think we need to remove the flying saucer guy. When
>> drobbins left and turned over the Gentoo IP to us, one thing that he
>> kept was the flying saucer guy. I believe that he was allowing us to
>> use it while we got the redesign put together, but since that's dead it
>> seems unfair to hold on to that flying saucer guy indefinitely.
>
> i'll miss him :(
>
> any way we can beg to keep him in the one place on the front page ?
> -mike

No.
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
On Monday 10 April 2006 18:38, Curtis Napier wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday 10 April 2006 15:37, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> >> In any event, I think we need to remove the flying saucer guy. When
> >> drobbins left and turned over the Gentoo IP to us, one thing that he
> >> kept was the flying saucer guy. I believe that he was allowing us to
> >> use it while we got the redesign put together, but since that's dead it
> >> seems unfair to hold on to that flying saucer guy indefinitely.
> >
> > i'll miss him :(
> >
> > any way we can beg to keep him in the one place on the front page ?
>
> No.

no as in "no i havent asked him and i never plan on doing so because i dont
ever want to use it" or no as in "daniel already asked us to remove it as
soon as conveniently possible"
-mike
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2006-10-04 at 18:25 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 15:37, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> > In any event, I think we need to remove the flying saucer guy. When
> > drobbins left and turned over the Gentoo IP to us, one thing that he
> > kept was the flying saucer guy. I believe that he was allowing us to
> > use it while we got the redesign put together, but since that's dead it
> > seems unfair to hold on to that flying saucer guy indefinitely.
>
> i'll miss him :(

Yea we have to keep him, he is one of the most important members of our
community.

--
Olivier Crête
tester@gentoo.org

Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 18:38, Curtis Napier wrote:
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> i'll miss him :(
>>>
>>> any way we can beg to keep him in the one place on the front page ?
>> No.
>
> no as in "no i havent asked him and i never plan on doing so because i dont
> ever want to use it" or no as in "daniel already asked us to remove it as
> soon as conveniently possible"
> -mike

No as in "I haven't asked him but assume that he won't give us the
copyright so I have forgotten that the lil' spaceship guy even exists
but if someone convinces him to give us that copyright I would be
willing to consider it for the design." *breath*

Man that was a long run on sentence.

:-)
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 14:08, Curtis Napier wrote:
>> I honestly think we can make it happen if we all pitch in.
>
> a simple news item on the front page + GWN request could prob gather a lot of
> attention
>
>> other WM's/desktops can also be done if someone is willing to do it.
>> Like E17 or XFCE, etc... Even if they don't get full custom themes they
>> can still use the icons and wallpapers and the qt/gtk theme will apply
>> to the apps.
>
> there's already parts of a Gentoo theme floating around for e17 ... i can look
> into it
> -mike

There are lila eapps (icons for those that don't use E) and lila efl
theme. The efl theme is no longer compatible (hasn't been for a while).
The lila eapps are still out there though.

I talked to spyderous a little bit ago and I *think* we have decided to
go with the tango icons customized with our color scheme. We'll either
find gtk/qt themes to match our color scheme or make them (I'm already
reading the gtk/metacity theme howto).

Tango is better for a lot of different reasons, the main one being that
the project is actually active and has more than a single maintainer.

When we get to the right point I'll contact you and we can work on E17
together if you want. I've already made a custom theme for E17 about 6
months ago so I have a *little* bit of experience with it. I'm sure you
probably know more about it than I do though.
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
On Monday 10 April 2006 20:38, Curtis Napier wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:

> >> No.
> >
> > no as in "no i havent asked him and i never plan on doing so because i
> > dont ever want to use it" or no as in "daniel already asked us to remove
> > it as soon as conveniently possible"
> > -mike
>
> No as in "I haven't asked him but assume that he won't give us the
> copyright so I have forgotten that the lil' spaceship guy even exists
> but if someone convinces him to give us that copyright I would be
> willing to consider it for the design." *breath*

we're not asking for the copyright, just to let him keep on living in the
little space on the front page that he currently occupies
-mike
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
> wwwredesign.gentoo.org already has been converted and is going live on
> www.gentoo.org shortly (we just have a few last minute things to do).

can we add a robots.txt on wwwredesign.gentoo.org that disallows /
from * ? if the site is just for testing a new layout or code, we do
not want (any more of) the content to get into search engines.

thanks
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 15:37, Grant Goodyear wrote:
>
>>In any event, I think we need to remove the flying saucer guy. When
>>drobbins left and turned over the Gentoo IP to us, one thing that he
>>kept was the flying saucer guy. I believe that he was allowing us to
>>use it while we got the redesign put together, but since that's dead it
>>seems unfair to hold on to that flying saucer guy indefinitely.
>

> i'll miss him :(
>
> any way we can beg to keep him in the one place on the front page ?
> -mike

17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: actually, it has been mentioned in the recent
thread on -dev ML that you own the copyright or something of the flying
saucer on w.g.o
[...]
17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: and there was a questino if you'd agree if we
continued to use it
[...]
17:38 <@drobbins> jkt|, yeah, I don't care

HTH,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 11:41, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday 10 April 2006 15:37, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> >>In any event, I think we need to remove the flying saucer guy. When
> >>drobbins left and turned over the Gentoo IP to us, one thing that he
> >>kept was the flying saucer guy. I believe that he was allowing us to
> >>use it while we got the redesign put together, but since that's dead it
> >>seems unfair to hold on to that flying saucer guy indefinitely.
> >
> > i'll miss him :(
> >
> > any way we can beg to keep him in the one place on the front page ?
>
> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: actually, it has been mentioned in the recent
> thread on -dev ML that you own the copyright or something of the flying
> saucer on w.g.o
> [...]
> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: and there was a questino if you'd agree if we
> continued to use it
> [...]
> 17:38 <@drobbins> jkt|, yeah, I don't care

/me <3 drobbins
-mike

Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:
>> wwwredesign.gentoo.org already has been converted and is going live on
>> www.gentoo.org shortly (we just have a few last minute things to do).
>
> can we add a robots.txt on wwwredesign.gentoo.org that disallows / from
> * ? if the site is just for testing a new layout or code, we do not want
> (any more of) the content to get into search engines.
>
> thanks

I'll take care of this at the same time that we setup the new test
domains. Should happen within the next week or two.

bug#129623
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> On Monday 10 April 2006 15:37, Grant Goodyear wrote:
>>
>>> In any event, I think we need to remove the flying saucer guy. When
>>> drobbins left and turned over the Gentoo IP to us, one thing that he
>>> kept was the flying saucer guy. I believe that he was allowing us to
>>> use it while we got the redesign put together, but since that's dead it
>>> seems unfair to hold on to that flying saucer guy indefinitely.
>>
>> i'll miss him :(
>>
>> any way we can beg to keep him in the one place on the front page ?
>> -mike
>
> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: actually, it has been mentioned in the recent
> thread on -dev ML that you own the copyright or something of the flying
> saucer on w.g.o
> [...]
> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: and there was a questino if you'd agree if we
> continued to use it
> [...]
> 17:38 <@drobbins> jkt|, yeah, I don't care
>
> HTH,
> -jkt

Not promising a front and center place like he has now but I'll work him
into it somehow or other.
Re: Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 12 April 2006 09:56, Duncan wrote:
> Maybe make him the documentation and help section icon? Or the icon for
> contact information (Gentoo developer listing, etc)? Something.

by explaining his presence, we hurt him

just leave him be !
-mike
Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Could a simple USE flag (Such as "branding") be implemented, which if set, will
pull in and configure gentoo themes when a package is compiled? This could be
unset by default, meaning most users would not be effected by this.

Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Matthew Gaule wrote:
> Could a simple USE flag (Such as "branding") be implemented, which if set, will
> pull in and configure gentoo themes when a package is compiled? This could be
> unset by default, meaning most users would not be effected by this.]

If most users are unaffected by the change, that defeats the whole
purpose of doing it.

Thanks,
Donnie
Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
It could be set as a default use flag and those not wanting any
branding can add '-branding' to their make.conf

Regards,

Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Simon Stelling posted <4436690E.8010400@gentoo.org>, excerpted below, on
Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:28:46 +0200:

> Carsten Lohrke wrote:
>> On Friday 07 April 2006 04:26, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>>> I also share the opinion that we shouldn't go against upstream wishes
>>> IRT branding, but if upstream encourages some fairly subtle branding
>>> along with keeping their name visible, I'm for it.
>>
>> There's a thread in gentoo-core from 2004 with regards to branding and
>> the outcome was to refrain from it. I don't have a problem, when we do
>> this for live iso's, but generally I strongly dislike it. Users don't
>> choose their distro because of it, so it's just unnecessary bloat. And
>> given that we tout Gentoo a meta distribution, encouraging others to
>> build on it, there's no point forcing them to have to clean out the
>> Gentoo brand, before they actually can use it.
>
> He said he wanted to make it easy, not forcing it. Or am I mistaken?

Something like a metapackage that deps on gentoo-xcursor and similar
packages, maybe? That would unify installation/merging. Include an
emerge --config script that in turn unifies the configuration?

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in

Re: Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Curtis Napier posted <443C32C2.2070305@gentoo.org>, excerpted below, on
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:50:42 -0400:

> Jan Kundrát wrote:
>>
>> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: actually, it has been mentioned in the recent
>> thread on -dev ML that you own the copyright or something of the flying
>> saucer on w.g.o
>> [...]
>> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: and there was a questino if you'd agree if we
>> continued to use it
>> [...]
>> 17:38 <@drobbins> jkt|, yeah, I don't care
>>

> Not promising a front and center place like he has now but I'll work him
> into it somehow or other.

When you place it, consider linking it to a history or some explanation or
something. He's certainly cute and all that, but I've always wondered
just what he has to do with Gentoo, having the feeling that there's some
symbolism or something that I'm missing.

My opinion is that without some sort of explanatory link, all he does is
reinforce the already too prevalent idea that Gentoo is just for a bunch
of spaced out ricers and fringe users that don't have anything better to
do with their computers than compile and recompile all day. It's just
noise on the page that doesn't seem to apply to anything else on the page,
and therefore doesn't look professional. Again, maybe I just missed the
symbolism somewhere, but that's my opinion. Put a caption on him, make
him link to something, and it'll look better.

Re: Gentoo theming during bootup [ In reply to ]
Matthew Gaule posted <loom.20060425T235314-742@post.gmane.org>, excerpted
below, on Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:55:13 +0000:

> Could a simple USE flag (Such as "branding") be implemented, which if set,
> will pull in and configure gentoo themes when a package is compiled? This
> could be unset by default, meaning most users would not be effected by
> this.

If the suggestion is to be taken, perhaps "gentoo-branding" would be a
clearer USE flag? Simply "branding" to me indicates upstream branding,
say all the things necessary to have a real Firefox (TM) registered
browser, icon and theming complete as upstream, instead of the Gentoo
version with various (unapproved upstream) Gentoo patches.

In theory, people should read the USE description, but I don't think we
need a repeat of the gtk/gtk2 confusion. =8^P

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in