Mailing List Archive

new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj)

Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
Jochen Maes wrote:
> Joshua, welcome!
Another!? Confusion! Pandemonium!

--
Joshua Baergen
Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
Jochen Maes wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I'd appreciate a nice welcome and a descent slap on the butt when you
> pass him...
>
> Joshua, welcome!

http://tinyurl.com/n9qb
I hope to see this list near hundred soon!

Regards,
Petteri
Re: Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:14:25AM -0700, Duncan wrote:
> OK, this is a gripe of mine, so...
[snip unuseful rant]

Do you always have this much time on your hands? Perhaps if you try
cutting down on the length of your emails someone might actually read
them - instead you could then spend the time on trying to understand
an internal developer joke?

./Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd
Re: Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
Duncan wrote:
> Petteri Räty posted <43839B31.2050005@gentoo.org>, excerpted below, on
> Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:26:57 +0200:
>

>>Jochen Maes wrote:
>>
>>>Hello all,
>>>

>>>I'd appreciate a nice welcome and a descent slap on the butt when you
>>>pass him...
>>>
>>>Joshua, welcome!
>>>

>>http://tinyurl.com/n9qb
>>I hope to see this list near hundred soon!
>

> OK, this is a gripe of mine, so...

It is customary to write stuff with a humorous note to new developers.
If you join #gentoo-java@freenode you will see the following topic:

16:19 -!- Topic for #gentoo-java: Java on Gentoo Linux | For Java issues
not related to Gentoo, please refer to ##java | Java Bugs:
http://tinyurl.com/n9qb | gentoo-java@lists.gentoo.org | Have a bug?
http://bugs.gentoo.org/ | http://gentoo-wiki.com/Java |
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/ |
http://gentooexperimental.org/svn/java/ (Its back!) | Theme of the
century: 1.5
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/Java_FAQ

Regards,
Petteri
Re: Re: Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:05:09 -0700
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> If it's so useless, after
> all, would someone have spent the time to post it?

Apparently someone did.
Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
Petteri Räty posted <43839B31.2050005@gentoo.org>, excerpted below, on
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:26:57 +0200:

> Jochen Maes wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I'd appreciate a nice welcome and a descent slap on the butt when you
>> pass him...
>>
>> Joshua, welcome!
>>

> http://tinyurl.com/n9qb
> I hope to see this list near hundred soon!

OK, this is a gripe of mine, so...

1) There's only the tinyurl, no indication at all of where it actually
points, or what the "list" is! Surely, a bit of a description might be
useful. Something like "(buglist of <whatever>)". (I'm composing this
having gone to the URL but still have no idea of what <whatever> is,
because there's no title and the URL is too long to easily figure out
what's being searched on.)

2) The URL actually pointed to is:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=java%40gentoo.org&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

Obviously that's waaayyyy... too long to be of much use, so a tinyurl is
appreciated. However, a lot of those query substrings are empty or the
default or otherwise unneeded. Trimming the cruft should result in a
far shorter URL that actually conveys a bit of information. With a URL of
this lenth, the easiest way to do that is to paste the URL into an editor
and trim from there. Trim a bit, then try the link to see if it still
works, then trim some more...

Here's what I came up with after a bit of trial and error. Note that the
original URL poster, knowing what he's after and thus knowing which fields
are likely to be relevant, could have done the same with rather less
trouble.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=java%40gentoo.org

Still not short, so a tinyurl is still useful, but /far/ shorter than the
above, and it's actually possible to see what this one is looking for:

a) bugstatus=NEW/ASSIGNED/REOPENED

and

b) emailassigned_to=java@gentoo.org (exact match).

OK, how much easier would it have been to just post this:

List of open bugs assigned to java@:
http://tinyurl.com/<whatever>

Note also that some don't like clicking on blind URLs, even with
descriptions. Thus, optionally:

List of open bugs assigned to java@:
http://tinyurl.com/<whatever> (points to)
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=exact&email1=java%40gentoo.org

That way, both those who don't want to trust a blind link, and those that
are reading the list on long-url munging clients, have a link to click.
Further, even if the long URL ends up munged, it's possible to see what it
is, and to reassemble it, if desired.

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in

Re: Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
Henrik Brix Andersen posted <20051123103611.GB30069@dmz.brixandersen.dk>,
excerpted below, on Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:36:11 +0100:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:14:25AM -0700, Duncan wrote:
>> OK, this is a gripe of mine, so...
> [snip unuseful rant]

Political point: Calling someone's hard work "unuseful" without
qualification is likely to cause offense. If it's so useless, after all,
would someone have spent the time to post it? Therefore, it's useful to
/someone/, even if that /someone/ is only the poster. "IMO unuseful" gets
the point across, without being quite so offensive. (Who can fault
someone for having an opinion and expressing it?)

> Do you always have this much time on your hands? Perhaps if you try
> cutting down on the length of your emails someone might actually read them
> - instead you could then spend the time on trying to understand an
> internal developer joke?

Got the joke, but the point was, it wasn't directly apparent from the URL
(with no description) what the joke was, and like many jokes, it isn't so
funny once it has to be explained.

Cutting down on the mail length, right, so I'll stop here.

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in

Re: Re: new developer Joshua Nichols (nichoj) [ In reply to ]
Petteri Räty posted <43847BD1.4000100@gentoo.org>, excerpted below, on
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:25:21 +0200:

> 16:19 -!- Topic for #gentoo-java: Java on Gentoo Linux | For Java issues
> not related to Gentoo, please refer to ##java | Java Bugs:
> http://tinyurl.com/n9qb | gentoo-java@lists.gentoo.org |

Ahh.. well explained. Thanks!

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in