Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff [ In reply to ]
Does someone who is primarily working on (for arguents sake)
Translations does not nessessarily "know what they are doing" in terms
of overall gentoo dev. My impression is that they have voting
privileges.

My feeling is that people who know about TopicA will vote on things that
relate to that Topic and refrain from voting on things of which they
have little or no knowledge of. SO why the big argument

Lares

Re: GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff [ In reply to ]
Homer Parker wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 18:47 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
>> Let me clarify here. I'm not concerned about ATs having more
>> privileges
>> at all. I just want to know why if we're making them full developers
>> for all intents and purposes, we don't go the extra step and get them
>> commit access after a probationary period? It seems like this is
>> supposed to be the end goal anyway. Basically, I feel like this GLEP
>> goes outside the bounds of what I think of when somebody mentions the
>> arch testers. Maybe it's just me though.
>
> Some people don't want to be a dev. Some people can't commit the
> resources to maintain dev status. There's a lot more responsibility in
> being a dev then an AT, and some people don't want that. So, becoming an
> AT is a way they can contribute without having to worry about all the
> extra responsibilities involved with being a dev.

I just wanted to say that this is exactly the situation i'm in. I've
applied to the x86 arch tester team because i enjoy working on Gentoo,
but don't have a lot of time to do it in. Work carts me about 100 miles
from an internet connection every Monday and drops me back off in
civilization every Friday. Knock off another half-day spent trying to
catch up on humongoloid GLEP threads and I don't have a bunch of free
time left. ;] Arch testing is one way I can contribute without the
overhead, and I don't fancy becoming a developer any time soon.

--de.