*> Georgi Georgiev *> You have a will that can be influenced by *>
<* chutz@gg3.net <* all with whom you come in contact. <*
*> +81(90)2877-8845 *> *>
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 27 April 2005 08:29 pm, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> - How well is it expected to work?

it's expected to work just fine

> - Do you guys expect bug reports about packages with conflicting
> targets, with possible patches, etc?

yes
-mike
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
On Apr 27, 2005, at 20:29, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> - How well is it expected to work?

We on Mac OS X use it (on our default profiles) to avoid overwriting
Apple-provided files and, so far, it's worked great.

--

Hasan Khalil
eBuild and Porting Co-Lead

Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
maillog: 27/04/2005-20:37:10(-0400): Mike Frysinger types
> On Wednesday 27 April 2005 08:29 pm, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> > - How well is it expected to work?
>
> it's expected to work just fine
>
> > - Do you guys expect bug reports about packages with conflicting
> > targets, with possible patches, etc?
>
> yes

maillog: 27/04/2005-20:50:09(-0400): Hasan Khalil types

> On Apr 27, 2005, at 20:29, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> >- How well is it expected to work?
>
> We on Mac OS X use it (on our default profiles) to avoid overwriting
> Apple-provided files and, so far, it's worked great.

Uh, I did not expect such a response. I personally have a whole bunch of
collisions on my system, most of which man pages.

http://gg3.net/~chutz/gentoo/collisions

I'll see to report them.

--
/ Georgi Georgiev / Academy: A modern school where football is /
\ chutz@gg3.net \ taught. Institute: An archaic school where \
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 27 April 2005 09:14 pm, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> Uh, I did not expect such a response. I personally have a whole bunch of
> collisions on my system, most of which man pages.
>
> http://gg3.net/~chutz/gentoo/collisions
>
> I'll see to report them.

make sure they arent already fixed ... just glancing at the top list, a bunch
are either already in bugzilla or resolved

also, there's the issue of SLOT based packages ... dont report those just
yet ...
-mike
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:37:10 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 April 2005 08:29 pm, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> > - How well is it expected to work?
>
> it's expected to work just fine

Most of the time. However, sometimes there are some issues (the xorg
move, perl modules manpages or portage compilation objects to name a
few) that can't be fixed really. That's why I don't think it will ever
be a default setting.

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 10:14 +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> Uh, I did not expect such a response. I personally have a whole bunch of
> collisions on my system, most of which man pages.
>
> http://gg3.net/~chutz/gentoo/collisions
>
> I'll see to report them.

My suggestion:

Make sure that you've installed fresh from 2005.0, as there were tons of
collisions caused by files from the older stage1 and stage2 tarballs
that have been fixed since 2005.0, where we changed how the stage
tarballs worked.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
Chris Gianelloni wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 10:14 +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
>

>>Uh, I did not expect such a response. I personally have a whole bunch of
>>collisions on my system, most of which man pages.
>>
>>http://gg3.net/~chutz/gentoo/collisions
>>
>>I'll see to report them.
>>

>My suggestion:
>
>Make sure that you've installed fresh from 2005.0, as there were tons of
>collisions caused by files from the older stage1 and stage2 tarballs
>that have been fixed since 2005.0, where we changed how the stage
>tarballs worked.

Hi,
Can confirm that (much less collisons with 2005.0), but as there exist
some persistant collisions (nvidia-kernel, alsa-driver, some perl
modules, etc.) So i've put these in package.features/package.env file
(from Portage-Toys tools) to disable "collision-protect" just for them.
Also thinking about again begin using "maketest" and do the same for
failing packages, but not sure as there were quite a bit of packages
that didn't pass the "tests".
HTH. Rumen
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 28 April 2005 12:52 am, Rumen Yotov wrote:
> Also thinking about again begin using "maketest"

you mean "test" ... maketest was renamed a while ago ;)
-mike
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
Have to pipe up on this as I get at least a half dozen bugs a week...

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 08:29 pm, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> On a note, similar to the one about /usr/X11R6, I'd like to ask about
> collision-protect.
>
> - How well is it expected to work?

Oh, it works, believe me, it works

> - Do you guys expect bug reports about packages with conflicting
> targets, with possible patches, etc?

Expect is a big word. Let's just say I'm a bad dev and don't follow the list
of new features in every release of portage (portage folks: i love ya, you
know that, doesn't mean I follow all the new feature flags and all), so my
introduction to collision-protect was when a half dozen bugs were filed one
rainy morning. Perl is in a collidable situation because we offer ebuilds
that supercede the modules that were installed with your version of perl (on
account of packages needing newer modules but not newer perl's) - we get hit
when the man pages go to merge. I'm hoping to alleviate (NOTE: not resolve)
some of this when we can do versioned virtuals, but until then I sympathize
with the bug posters and kindly ask them to disable collision protect until
the module is installed.

//mcummings
--
-----o()o---------------------------------------------
Michael Cummings | #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
maillog: 28/04/2005-08:10:49(-0400): Michael Cummings types
> Have to pipe up on this as I get at least a half dozen bugs a week...
>
> On Wednesday 27 April 2005 08:29 pm, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> > On a note, similar to the one about /usr/X11R6, I'd like to ask about
> > collision-protect.
> >
> > - How well is it expected to work?
> >
> Oh, it works, believe me, it works
>
> > - Do you guys expect bug reports about packages with conflicting
> > targets, with possible patches, etc?
>
> Expect is a big word. Let's just say I'm a bad dev and don't follow the list
> of new features in every release of portage (portage folks: i love ya, you
> know that, doesn't mean I follow all the new feature flags and all), so my
> introduction to collision-protect was when a half dozen bugs were filed one
> rainy morning. Perl is in a collidable situation because we offer ebuilds
> that supercede the modules that were installed with your version of perl (on
> account of packages needing newer modules but not newer perl's) - we get hit
> when the man pages go to merge. I'm hoping to alleviate (NOTE: not resolve)
> some of this when we can do versioned virtuals, but until then I sympathize
> with the bug posters and kindly ask them to disable collision protect until
> the module is installed.

Isn't there a way to avoid installing the modules with perl and PDEPEND
on them instead?

--
() Georgi Georgiev () It has been said that Public Relations is ()
() chutz@gg3.net () the art of winning friends and getting ()
Re: How well supported is collision-protect? [ In reply to ]
Rumen Yotov wrote:
> Can confirm that (much less collisons with 2005.0), but as there exist
> some persistant collisions (nvidia-kernel, alsa-driver, some perl
> modules, etc.) So i've put these in package.features/package.env file
> (from Portage-Toys tools) to disable "collision-protect" just for them.
> Also thinking about again begin using "maketest" and do the same for
> failing packages, but not sure as there were quite a bit of packages
> that didn't pass the "tests".

If you do decide to start using the test feature, i've been using bug
#73031 is a tracker for system packages (that is, packages included in
'emerge system', not packages in category sys-...). For world packages,
you might get a thanks or you might get cussed at and your bug closed as
invalid, depending on the maintainer. Best to include patches. ;P