Omer Cohen
www.omerc.net <http://www.omerc.net>
omerc.net@gmail.com
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
> As a PHP developer I believe that 5.0.4 is more then stable, and should
> be added and marked stable.
>
> I don't wanna override the system and install it manualy.

Then don't override the system, use it! You need to read "man portage"
sometime.

-Steve

Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]

Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
maillog: 22/04/2005-10:41:07(-0400): Hasan Khalil types
> Do we have any real hard evidence of anything that does indeed break
> with the new version of PHP5? I've personally not delved much into it,
> but I found it to run at least _my_ OO code just fine.

xoops was not working with php5 a few months back.

--
| Georgi Georgiev | You never go anywhere without your soul. |
| chutz@gg3.net | |
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
I've been working with it since it came out.

And I made big projects with more then a few classes and objects and it all
worked fine, I didn't have any problems with it.
It's not like a group of 100 people from microsoft tested it and said it's
ok, the entire community of PHP developers agreed it's alright and aprooved
it.
we're talking about one of the biggest OC communities.

I believe it's stable enough to get marked as stable on the portage tree.

Regarding the remark of not overriding the system, what I ment is that I
there's no reason to manualy unmask a stable product..

Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
Omer Cohen wrote:
> we're talking about one of the biggest OC communities.

<flame>
...and the same community whose members write code like that described
in PHP's bug 31261 [1], which seems quite ugly, at least to me.
</flame>

My point is that even if developers say their code is stable, it doesn't
have to mean it *really* is, altough they're probably correct.

[1] http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31261

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
Jan Kundrát wrote:

>Omer Cohen wrote:
>

>>we're talking about one of the biggest OC communities.
>>

><flame>
>...and the same community whose members write code like that described
>in PHP's bug 31261 [1], which seems quite ugly, at least to me.
></flame>
>
>My point is that even if developers say their code is stable, it doesn't
>have to mean it *really* is, altough they're probably correct.
>
>[1] http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31261

<water>
Sometimes happen to write lines of code not well written, not clear and
still working.
Simply that, sometimes happen, don't make of such an accident a thing
bigger than it is.
</water>
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
Francesco Riosa wrote:
> <water>
> Sometimes happen to write lines of code not well written, not clear and
> still working.
> Simply that, sometimes happen, don't make of such an accident a thing
> bigger than it is.
> </water>

The "problem" is that they ignore polite bugreport *with* attached solution.

I hope my post didn't seem like "PHP is a piece of crap", it's agreat
software, of course.

-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
Jan Kundrát wrote:

>Omer Cohen wrote:
>

>>we're talking about one of the biggest OC communities.
>>

><flame>
>...and the same community whose members write code like that described
>in PHP's bug 31261 [1], which seems quite ugly, at least to me.
></flame>
>
>My point is that even if developers say their code is stable, it doesn't
>have to mean it *really* is, altough they're probably correct.
>
>[1] http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31261

Actually, I can understand avoiding unnecessary bit flipping. I've done
that in databases on occasion. I'll write a SQL statement that checks
if there are matching records for an update instead of just executing a
statement that makes changes to those matching records. Depending on
the likelihood of changes and the number of records to be changed, it
was sometimes faster to pre-qualify an update instead of just doing it
when it wasn't going to find any matches.

That's all the code in that particular bug does, check the value of a
bit before turning it off. If it's already off, don't touch it.
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
D. Wokan wrote:
> Actually, I can understand avoiding unnecessary bit flipping. I've done
> that in databases on occasion. I'll write a SQL statement that checks
> if there are matching records for an update instead of just executing a
> statement that makes changes to those matching records. Depending on
> the likelihood of changes and the number of records to be changed, it
> was sometimes faster to pre-qualify an update instead of just doing it
> when it wasn't going to find any matches.

Yep, but we're talking about C code, not about SQL queries. I'd of
course accept this explanation if it came from PHP devs at bugzilla, but
they didn't bother, which made me a bit surprised.

And BTW, talking about speed - setting open_basedir is quite common
among webhosters, so I think the code suggested in that bugreport will
be faster in most cases.

-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
maillog: 24/04/2005-11:00:54(+0200): Jan Kundrát types
> D. Wokan wrote:
> > Actually, I can understand avoiding unnecessary bit flipping. I've done
> > that in databases on occasion. I'll write a SQL statement that checks
> > if there are matching records for an update instead of just executing a
> > statement that makes changes to those matching records. Depending on
> > the likelihood of changes and the number of records to be changed, it
> > was sometimes faster to pre-qualify an update instead of just doing it
> > when it wasn't going to find any matches.
>
> Yep, but we're talking about C code, not about SQL queries. I'd of
> course accept this explanation if it came from PHP devs at bugzilla, but
> they didn't bother, which made me a bit surprised.

Don't be surprised. The exactly same explanation is at the bugreport
that you linked to in your last e-mail. I don't know if it is a php dev
who made it, but the address is @php.net. Here is the exact text:

[23 Dec 2004 7:06pm CET] iliaa@php.net

This is a non issue, the code avoids touching the mask if there
is nothing to change in it.

> And BTW, talking about speed - setting open_basedir is quite common
> among webhosters, so I think the code suggested in that bugreport will
> be faster in most cases.
>
> -jkt
>
> --
> cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

--
() Georgi Georgiev () * Knghtktty is not going to ask how ()
() chutz@gg3.net () zucchini got into the discussion ... ()
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
On Friday 22 April 2005 23:26, Omer Cohen wrote:
> I've been working with it since it came out.
>
> And I made big projects with more then a few classes and objects and it all
> worked fine, I didn't have any problems with it.
> It's not like a group of 100 people from microsoft tested it and said it's
> ok, the entire community of PHP developers agreed it's alright and aprooved
> it.
> we're talking about one of the biggest OC communities.
>
> I believe it's stable enough to get marked as stable on the portage tree.
>
> Regarding the remark of not overriding the system, what I ment is that I
> there's no reason to manualy unmask a stable product..

I strongly agree. We actually lost a client recently because we adhere to the
stable tree of Gentoo but our PHP was too dated for them (they wanted PHP
5.x).

Casey Allen Shobe | SeattleServer, Inc.
cshobe@seattleserver.com | cell 425-443-4653
http://www.seattleserver.com
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:43:10 +0000 Casey Allen Shobe - SeattleServer
Mailing Lists <lists@seattleserver.com> wrote:
| I strongly agree. We actually lost a client recently because we
| adhere to the stable tree of Gentoo but our PHP was too dated for
| them (they wanted PHP 5.x).

See, this is why we have /etc/portage/...

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 03:43:10PM +0000, Casey Allen Shobe - SeattleServer Mailing Lists wrote:
> On Friday 22 April 2005 23:26, Omer Cohen wrote:
> > I've been working with it since it came out.
> >
> > And I made big projects with more then a few classes and objects and it all
> > worked fine, I didn't have any problems with it.
> > It's not like a group of 100 people from microsoft tested it and said it's
> > ok, the entire community of PHP developers agreed it's alright and aprooved
> > it.
> > we're talking about one of the biggest OC communities.
> >
> > I believe it's stable enough to get marked as stable on the portage tree.
> >
> > Regarding the remark of not overriding the system, what I ment is that I
> > there's no reason to manualy unmask a stable product..
>
> I strongly agree. We actually lost a client recently because we adhere to the
> stable tree of Gentoo but our PHP was too dated for them (they wanted PHP
> 5.x).
5.x is in portage since many months. Just use keywords. Just
customize. Even brand-new Redhat Enterprise 4.0 provides 4.3.9-x only.

funnily enough the PHP Guys recommended Apache 1.3 only for a long time.

Jürgen
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
Hello

> funnily enough the PHP Guys recommended Apache 1.3 only for a long time.

I've been using Apache 2 and PHP (CGI due to suEXEC) for more than two
years now on a public webserver. It've never expierenced any
instabilities.

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux Developer using m0n0wall | http://hansmi.ch/
news: gotcha
Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
On 4/24/05, Michael Hanselmann <hansmi@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hello
>
> > funnily enough the PHP Guys recommended Apache 1.3 only for a long time.
>
> I've been using Apache 2 and PHP (CGI due to suEXEC) for more than two
> years now on a public webserver. It've never expierenced any
> instabilities.

I don't remember the details, but there were a number of addon
products that were quite slow in coming to grips with Apache 2. Also,
there are a number of products that don't play well with PHP5. The
more plain jane your code the less likely you'll have problems with
either.

--
Collins
When I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them,

Re: Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
The thing is, that while there's thew newest version (5.0.4) which had
all/most of the bugs fixed since 5.0, the original 5.0 version is still
being "tested".

I think that after 5.0 was released you should have waitied for about a
month or so to let people discover bugs like they did, and released
patches/updates.
5.0.4 has been stable for quite a while, meaning most of the major things
are fixed if not all of them.
So atleast add it to the tree, if not stable then atleast masked.

Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: PHP5 Unstable ? [ In reply to ]
Omer Cohen posted <30e61698050425063334d003e9@mail.gmail.com>, excerpted
below, on Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:33:08 +0200:

> 5.0.4 has been stable for quite a while, meaning most of the major
> things are fixed if not all of them.
> So atleast add it to the tree, if not stable then atleast masked.

Absolutely agreed. I haven't seen anyone here disagree with that. I'd
guess the reason it hasn't been done, therefore, has more to do with the
overload factor, at least in that herd, of what are after all volunteer
developers, than anything else. Some herds and areas of the portage tree
are even more understaffed than Gentoo is as a whole, and it just hasn't
gotten done.

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in