Mailing List Archive

Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: www-plugins/gnash
Le 04/09/2009 22:41, Andrew John Hughes a écrit :
> So there'll be no Free Flash support in Gentoo any more?
> I hope someone will pick this up, this is a high priority FSF project after all.

There's media-libs/swfdec that's still offically maintained by the Gnome
herd.

As far as gnash is concerned, it can still be saved by a willing
maintainer. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers,

Rémi
Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: www-plugins/gnash [ In reply to ]
Le vendredi 04 septembre 2009 à 22:56 +0200, Rémi Cardona a écrit :
> Le 04/09/2009 22:41, Andrew John Hughes a écrit :
> > So there'll be no Free Flash support in Gentoo any more?
> > I hope someone will pick this up, this is a high priority FSF project after all.
>
> There's media-libs/swfdec that's still offically maintained by the Gnome
> herd.
>
> As far as gnash is concerned, it can still be saved by a willing
> maintainer. Nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rémi

Okay, if nobody want to maintain gnash, I'll maintain it...
how is it possible to remove gnash ... jesus :D

Regards,
Romain.
--
Romain Perier
Gentoo Linux Developer
Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: www-plugins/gnash [ In reply to ]
I've used the gnash plugin because earlier Flash releases were so
"problematic" (crashing Flash would generally crash Firefox). But
generally migrated away from Flash as it seemed to become more and
more of an advertising distribution medium that one had no user
control over (this is a subjective impression). Gnash also seemed to
be unable to play more recent versions of Flash files.

Is gnash still under development (as an open source alternative to
Adobe flash)? If so, then it would seem to make sense to keep the
plugin alive. Where does this all go with the evolution towards more
open media formats (HTML 3.x?). It is my impression currently that a
consensus could not be agreed upon for a "standard" open
non-proprietary format for audio/video files.

Robert