Mailing List Archive

Major problems in the tree in the last month
* Andrew D Kirch <trelane@trelane.net>:
> This should really be a non-issue. I just spent 2 days dealing with
> being 3.5 weeks out of date.

To help us improve the user experience, what were the problems that
cost you two days?
Re: Major problems in the tree in the last month [ In reply to ]
Torsten Veller wrote:
> * Andrew D Kirch <trelane@trelane.net>:
>
>> This should really be a non-issue. I just spent 2 days dealing with
>> being 3.5 weeks out of date.
>>

> To help us improve the user experience, what were the problems that
> cost you two days?

The major problem was getting caught up in the 'kdeprefix' use flag.
The time loss can basically be explained as:
1. compile kde 4.3 which eventually fails 12+ hours
2. eradicate kde 4.2 and 4.3, 4 or so hours
3. clean up the resulting mess in @world, 8 hours
4. compile kde 4.3 again 12+hours

This on a dual p4 3ghz takes a bit of time sadly. I also ran into bug
280443 with XOrg (and have commented appropriately). It appears dbus
specific files aren't going where they should, and HAL is kicking
unhelpful errors.

Andrew D Kirch
Funtoo.org
Re: Major problems in the tree in the last month [ In reply to ]
Re: Major problems in the tree in the last month [ In reply to ]
Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> Andrew D Kirch wrote:
> > Torsten Veller wrote:

> >> To help us improve the user experience, what were the problems that
> >> cost you two days?
> >>

> > The major problem was getting caught up in the 'kdeprefix' use flag.
> > The time loss can basically be explained as:
> > 1. compile kde 4.3 which eventually fails 12+ hours
> > 2. eradicate kde 4.2 and 4.3, 4 or so hours
> > 3. clean up the resulting mess in @world, 8 hours
> > 4. compile kde 4.3 again 12+hours
>
> > This on a dual p4 3ghz takes a bit of time sadly. I also ran into bug
> > 280443 with XOrg (and have commented appropriately). It appears dbus
> > specific files aren't going where they should, and HAL is kicking
> > unhelpful errors.
>
> > Andrew D Kirch
> > Funtoo.org
>
> As the KDE team Lead and to explain the above, this was an unfortunate
> requirement for the KDE team to get KDE-4 in the road to be marked
> stable. We should have probably announced it better and warned users
> about it sooner.
> This only affected users running the testing tree or users that had
> already switched to KDE-4 and was required as KDE upstream doesn't
> support multiple installs in the same prefix and we had a few nasty
> issues with python bindings (not being able to slot them as they install
> files into site-dir) and there's a bug in the qt plugin loader that
> would make it load plugins from the wrong prefix[1].
>
> [1] - http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-708282.html - FAQ section

It wasn't a big deal. Sadly KDE takes darn near forever to compile.
(or at least seems like it). If you get into a situation where you
compile it twice that's at least a day lost.

Andrew