Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Multimedia overlay [ In reply to ]
Thomas Sachau wrote:

> Is there a special reason, why we need to split things even more? Why not invite those devs and
> interested users to sunrise? Training ground for interested users is one of the main goals of our
> project.

Sunrise has a very different policy (e.g. no packages already in
portage) and workflow (e.g. dev review).

You know I fully support Sunrise and regularly refer users to it, when
they want to contribute. But for what we want it is not exactly the
right tool.
Re: Multimedia overlay [ In reply to ]
Mark Loeser wrote:
> Why can't this be on our official overlays? Is there a technical
> reason, because we seem to just be spreading things out even more than
> necessary.

Because on g.o.g.o. we can not admin it ourselves, resulting in delays
and adding to infra's burden. Also, the web interface is quite bare, not
as pretty and nice to work with as gitorious (and github).
Re: Multimedia overlay [ In reply to ]
Arun Raghavan wrote:
> This still does not address the original problem - if
> $external_service shuts down, is bought out, has arbitrary terms about
> content that are not immediately clear as being unfavourable to us,
> (at least) that part of the project which is hosted on is negatively
> affected.

As this is a git overlay, it's not a problem. It would be very easy to
move the public repo to another location.

Ben
Re: Multimedia overlay [ In reply to ]
2009/8/12 Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org>:
> Arun Raghavan wrote:
>> This still does not address the original problem - if
>> $external_service shuts down, is bought out, has arbitrary terms about
>> content that are not immediately clear as being unfavourable to us,
>> (at least) that part of the project which is hosted on is negatively
>> affected.
>
> As this is a git overlay, it's not a problem. It would be very easy to
> move the public repo to another location.

Which still does not address concerns about (admittedly paranoid)
concerns about terms of use and content.
--
Arun Raghavan
http://arunraghavan.net/
Re: Multimedia overlay [ In reply to ]
Arun Raghavan wrote:
> 2009/8/12 Ben de Groot <yngwin@gentoo.org>:
>> As this is a git overlay, it's not a problem. It would be very easy to
>> move the public repo to another location.
>
> Which still does not address concerns about (admittedly paranoid)
> concerns about terms of use and content.

Not being paranoid, I fail to see how that is a problem.

Ben
Re: Multimedia overlay [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 11 August 2009 18:26:04 Ben de Groot wrote:
> Mark Loeser wrote:
> > Why can't this be on our official overlays? Is there a technical
> > reason, because we seem to just be spreading things out even more than
> > necessary.
>
> Because on g.o.g.o. we can not admin it ourselves, resulting in delays
> and adding to infra's burden. Also, the web interface is quite bare, not
> as pretty and nice to work with as gitorious (and github).

so that should be addressed. i.e. please file a bug.
-mike
Re: Re: Multimedia overlay [ In reply to ]

He is away: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/devaway.xml?select=yngwin#yngwin
Re: Multimedia overlay [ In reply to ]