notified at least 14 days before the meeting itself.

For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our homepage:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for August [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:
> If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
> vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
> Gentoo dev list to see.

I would love to see the GLEP on CPE names in metadata.xml discussed,
http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg35155.html

Any guidance on what I need to do to make it happen is very welcome.

Thanks,

Sebastian
Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for August [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Sebastian Pipping<webmaster@hartwork.org> wrote:
> I would love to see the GLEP on CPE names in metadata.xml discussed,
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg35155.html
>
> Any guidance on what I need to do to make it happen is very welcome.

Please read GLEP 1 [1], and more specifically the GLEP work flow. Your
GLEP needs to be submitted to and then accepted by the GLEP editors.
Once it is accepted it will be assigned a number and you can discuss
it on gento-dev@gentoo.org (announce it on
gentoo-dev-announce@gentoo.org with reply-to set to
gentoo-dev@gentoo.org). Once that is done and a consensus has been
reached you can submit your GLEP to the council for vote.

In your particular case I'd like to know what are the plans of the
other distributions. I would even think that they should be involved
in the discussion process. And what happens when packages don't
exactly overlap? Binary distros often use many sub-packages to work
around their lack of something like our USE flags, and also to avoid
forcing users to download a whole bunch of non-executable stuff when
the binaries were patched. This thing isn't as easy as your (short)
GLEP draft makes it look like.

Denis.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0001.html