name!)

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: s390 status [ In reply to ]
Before Randy left, he'd promised to give me access to his s390, but that
never materialised, so at this point I'd say there's no access. Seeing
as it's effectively an unmaintained port with no ETA on Randy, I say
either remove s390 from KEYWORDS which it blocks or stable it and let
the fallout happen when s390 returns to being an active port.
--
Seemant Kulleen
http://dev.gentoo.org/~seemant

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E
Re: s390 status [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 14:00, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
> Before Randy left, he'd promised to give me access to his s390, but that
> never materialised, so at this point I'd say there's no access. Seeing
> as it's effectively an unmaintained port with no ETA on Randy, I say
> either remove s390 from KEYWORDS which it blocks or stable it and let
> the fallout happen when s390 returns to being an active port.

Letting it fallout would simplify the job of the security team. I think
we can/should revisit it and it's keywords when we have a developers and
some sort of resources other developers can test on/with.

Grant please add this as an item to discuss at Mondays meeting.
(Should we drop the s390 port for now?)

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer
Re: s390 status [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 September 2004 05:13 pm, Ned Ludd wrote:
> Grant please add this as an item to discuss at Mondays meeting.
> (Should we drop the s390 port for now?)

anyone know someone at IBM who would donate a s390 to us ? :)
-mike

Re: s390 status [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 05:23:50PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 05:13 pm, Ned Ludd wrote:
> > Grant please add this as an item to discuss at Mondays meeting.
> > (Should we drop the s390 port for now?)
>
> anyone know someone at IBM who would donate a s390 to us ? :)

You really don't want to physically have to run one :)

IBM does have a program that allows you to get access to a partition on
a box, and do development on it. Also OSDL now has a s390 (or just
access to one, I'm not sure which.) They should be able to help you get
an account on it if you really want it.

thanks,

greg k-h

Re: s390 status [ In reply to ]
Seemant Kulleen wrote:
> Before Randy left, he'd promised to give me access to his s390, but that
> never materialised, so at this point I'd say there's no access. Seeing
> as it's effectively an unmaintained port with no ETA on Randy, I say
> either remove s390 from KEYWORDS which it blocks or stable it and let
> the fallout happen when s390 returns to being an active port.

I think this one is not clear. Randy had access to it's "own" machine
where he did development etc.
If access to an s390/zSeries is needed i can provide it.
Randy and i had the idea of porting gentoo to zSeries and both got
access to different machines. The one from Randy was at his university.
The one i have access to is owned by a company that does development for
zSeries.

The idea behind it was:
Randy had a devlopment machine where he could tweak and work. When he
completed the first set of full stages we wanted to install Gentoo on
the Machine (better said partitions) i have access to and use those
partitions for providing access to s390 to devs.

Another thing that makes me sad is that people who were very involved in
this port now have no problem to just let it die.

So if there are ppl who want to maintain this port. Access to hardware
is here...

Regards
Michael
Re: s390 status [ In reply to ]
Why didn't you bring this up last week before we voted to drop s390
support today?

Joshua

Re: s390 status [ In reply to ]
Joshua Brindle wrote:
> Why didn't you bring this up last week before we voted to drop s390
> support today?

I thought it was clear that we had not only the machine randy had access
to but another as well.
At least the people who helped developing the port and who hang out in
#gentoo-zseries should have known that.
No one asked for access and people who should have known about the
access decided to drop support.

So if we want to keep the port and not drop support this is what we have
atm:

mobile root # ssh gentoo01.zseries.org -l root
Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/id_dsa':
Last login: Mon Sep 20 23:22:38 2004 from pd9e61cb5.dip.t-dialin.net
[root@gentoo01 root]# ls
anaconda-ks.cfg install.log.syslog s390-stage3-20040406.tar.bz2
install.log nohup.out stage1-s390-updated.tar.bz2

So if there are ppl who want to maintain this they could start almost
where randy left.

Regards
Michael
Re: s390 status [ In reply to ]
On Monday 20 September 2004 08:14 pm, Michael Imhof wrote:
> No one asked for access and people who should have known about the
> access decided to drop support.

if i had known we had dev access to a s390 i would have asked for it

there, can i have access now ? :)

> [root@gentoo01 root]# ls
> anaconda-ks.cfg install.log.syslog s390-stage3-20040406.tar.bz2
> install.log nohup.out stage1-s390-updated.tar.bz2

so basically a stage3 ?
-mike