Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
You may be able to fix Kopete by switching USE flags off (my
guess is that v4l2 is the guilty party here.)

Most of the others look like they may be genuine patch-required bugs
related to recent changes in gcc/g++. Unfortunately, I don't use any
of the packages involved except for kate-plugins, and I haven't needed
to re-emerge it recently. It's possible that some packages might compile
if you can figure out how to pass -fpermissive to the compiler (there's
probably some way you can slip that into your make.conf, but I have no
idea what it is--anyone?). It may be easier just to find non-KDE3
substitutes for the affected software, if you need the functionality it
provides.
Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
Igor Korot posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:43:36 -0800 as excerpted:

> Finally latest kopete fails qwith following:
>
> /bin/sh ../../../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=compile
> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../..
> -I../../../kopete/protocols/gadu/libgadu -I/usr/kde/3.5/include
> -I/usr/qt/3/include -I. -DKDE_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_COMPAT
> -DQT_NO_CAST_ASCII -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -I../../../kopete/libkopete
> -I../../../kopete/libkopete -I../../../kopete/libkopete/avdevice
> -I../../../kopete/libkopete/ui -I../../../kopete/libkopete/ui
> -I../../../kopete/libkopete/private -I../../../kopete/libkopete/ui
> -I/usr/kde/3.5/include -I/usr/qt/3/include -I. -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
> -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGE_FILES=1 -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi
> -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall
> -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=core2 -O2 -pipe
> -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor
> -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE
> -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -c -o
> videodevicepool.lo videodevicepool.cpp In file included from
> videodevice.cpp:27:0:
> videodevice.h:55:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or
> directory compilation terminated.
> make[4]: *** [videodevice.lo] Error 1 make[4]: *** Waiting for
> unfinished jobs....
> In file included from videodevicepool.cpp:29:0:
> videodevice.h:55:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or
> directory compilation terminated.
> make[4]: *** [videodevicepool.lo] Error 1

I believe that error is due to the Linux kernel dropping support for v4l
(video for linux 1, as opposed to v4l2).

If there's a v4l USE flag, setting USE=-v4l might fix it. Otherwise...
installing an old linux-headers (before v4l1 was removed, sorry, IDR the
kernel version, but I'd guess it to be googlable) and building against
that would probably work, especially if all you need is to build the
functionality, you don't intend to actually use video with kopete.

Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
Igor Korot posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:21:50 -0800 as excerpted:

>> Let's see here. Ignore packages with the -meta suffix, first off,
>> since they're just aggregators for other packages. Secondly, since
>> Portage's dependency identification sometimes messes up in --keep-going
>> runs, attempt to individually re-emerge any package that didn't get far
>> enough to produce a log. Start with the kde-base packages:
>>
>>> * (kde-base/kdm-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>>> * (kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10-r5::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled
>>> for merge) * (kde-base/konqueror-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild
>>> scheduled for merge)
>>> * (kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>>> * (kde-base/konsole-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
>>
>> Most of these packages are important to the basic functioning of KDE,
>> and you need to get them merged if you want a functioning desktop.
>> Then look at the extras:
>
> Here, unmasking kcontrol fixed everything. All 5 packages are now
> compiled and installed correctly.

=:^)

>> These packages are less important, and if you can live with the idea of
>> using a different (probably GTK-based) mailer and calendar application,
>> you don't absolutely need them.

I meant to reply to this point earlier and forgot.

Due to kdepim4 akonadifying everything, I've dumped everything related to
it, here. For me, that was kmail and akregator. FWIW, I've been very
happy with the (gtk-based) claws-mail I replaced both of them with. It
can be noted, however, that I prefer to keep mail and feeds separate, so
while I use claws-mail with its feed-reader plugin for feeds (replacing
akregator), I run two separate claws-mail instances, using different icon
themes for each so I can tell the difference in the system tray icons (in
particular, otherwise I don't really care). Getting two instances to run
required setting up a couple environmental variables in a script-wrapper
that I run to start them up, otherwise the first one intercepts the
commands intended for the second, but that was simple enough, once I
figured out what was happening.

So if you /do/ happen to be looking for a new mail (and/or feeds) client,
I can say I've been very happy with claws-mail. In particular, as with
most MH-mail format mail clients, its emphasis is on user scriptable
extensibility, which means it's very unlikely to have the devs up and
decide to break everything just to go chasing something new, as both kde4
and now kdepim4 have done, as that would break all the user's scripts!
After being forced to leave kmail after nearly a decade due to its devs'
fascination with shiny, that's an even more significant feature for this
gentooer than simple scriptable extensibility is likely to be for the
/average/ gentooer. =:^)

If your mail providers all have IMAP (or you control your own), there's
also the relatively new trojita, with a gentoo dev as upstream, too.
Unfortunately, my MSPs are all POP3 based, so that wouldn't be an easy
switch, here, but I was still tempted, and probably would have setup my
own IMAP and used fetchmail or whatever, if I hadn't found claws-mail
such a good match. Trojita is qt4 based, and the author recently blogged
(carried by the gentoo-planet feed) about a qt5 conference he was
attending, so it shouldn't get stuck with an old qt as kde3 did.

Re: Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
Guys,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> Igor Korot posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:43:36 -0800 as excerpted:
>
>> Finally latest kopete fails qwith following:
>>
>> /bin/sh ../../../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=compile
>> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../..
>> -I../../../kopete/protocols/gadu/libgadu -I/usr/kde/3.5/include
>> -I/usr/qt/3/include -I. -DKDE_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_COMPAT
>> -DQT_NO_CAST_ASCII -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -I../../../kopete/libkopete
>> -I../../../kopete/libkopete -I../../../kopete/libkopete/avdevice
>> -I../../../kopete/libkopete/ui -I../../../kopete/libkopete/ui
>> -I../../../kopete/libkopete/private -I../../../kopete/libkopete/ui
>> -I/usr/kde/3.5/include -I/usr/qt/3/include -I. -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
>> -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGE_FILES=1 -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi
>> -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall
>> -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=core2 -O2 -pipe
>> -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor
>> -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE
>> -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -c -o
>> videodevicepool.lo videodevicepool.cpp In file included from
>> videodevice.cpp:27:0:
>> videodevice.h:55:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or
>> directory compilation terminated.
>> make[4]: *** [videodevice.lo] Error 1 make[4]: *** Waiting for
>> unfinished jobs....
>> In file included from videodevicepool.cpp:29:0:
>> videodevice.h:55:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or
>> directory compilation terminated.
>> make[4]: *** [videodevicepool.lo] Error 1
>
> I believe that error is due to the Linux kernel dropping support for v4l
> (video for linux 1, as opposed to v4l2).
>
> If there's a v4l USE flag, setting USE=-v4l might fix it. Otherwise...
> installing an old linux-headers (before v4l1 was removed, sorry, IDR the
> kernel version, but I'd guess it to be googlable) and building against
> that would probably work, especially if all you need is to build the
> functionality, you don't intend to actually use video with kopete.

This is correct. There is a USE-falg "v4l2" and it's initially turned off.
Turning it on gives exctly the same error.

AFAIU, I do have a working KDE 3 copy.
However, I hate when something is incomplete as in this case. ;-)

Here is the complete USE-flag set for kopete.
Anything else to try?

LearningRight temp # emerge -pv =kopete-3.5.10-r6

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ~] kde-base/kopete-3.5.10-r6:3.5::kde-sunset USE="crypt
opengl ssl -addbookmarks -alias -autoreplace -connectionstatus
-contactnotes -debug -emoticons-manager -gadu -groupwise -highlight
-history -irc -jabber -jingle -kdehiddenvisibility -latex -msn
-netmeeting -nowlistening -oscar -sametime -slp -sms -statistics
-texteffect -translator -v4l2 -webpresence -winpopup -xscreensaver
-yahoo" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Thank you.

Re: Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
Duncan,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
> After being forced to leave kmail after nearly a decade due to its devs'
> fascination with shiny, that's an even more significant feature for this
> gentooer than simple scriptable extensibility is likely to be for the
> /average/ gentooer. =:^)
>
> If your mail providers all have IMAP (or you control your own), there's
> also the relatively new trojita, with a gentoo dev as upstream, too.
> Unfortunately, my MSPs are all POP3 based, so that wouldn't be an easy
> switch, here, but I was still tempted, and probably would have setup my
> own IMAP and used fetchmail or whatever, if I hadn't found claws-mail
> such a good match. Trojita is qt4 based, and the author recently blogged
> (carried by the gentoo-planet feed) about a qt5 conference he was
> attending, so it shouldn't get stuck with an old qt as kde3 did.

I can perfectly well live without the mail/calendar/office stuff.
I just need KDE to test some things.

AFAIU, I have a working install of this DM, just kopete fails.
Everything else is either not important or can be substituted.

Thank you.

Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, E. Liddell wrote:

> You may be able to fix Kopete by switching USE flags off (my guess is
> that v4l2 is the guilty party here.)

Yes, it is. You can get Kopete 3 to compile by switching that off, or
you can upgrade just Kopete to 4.x by putting all the other individual
programs from KDE 3 you want into your world file with the ":3.5" suffix
(rather than having "meta" packages pull them all in automatically), and
allowing only Kopete to be upgraded.

The reason you probably will want to do the latter is because Kopete
isn't just a desktop thing -- it's an Internet client and it needs
security support.

--
+ Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
Brent,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Brent Busby <brent@keycorner.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, E. Liddell wrote:
>
>> You may be able to fix Kopete by switching USE flags off (my guess is that
>> v4l2 is the guilty party here.)
>

> Yes, it is. You can get Kopete 3 to compile by switching that off, or you
> can upgrade just Kopete to 4.x by putting all the other individual programs
> from KDE 3 you want into your world file with the ":3.5" suffix (rather than
> having "meta" packages pull them all in automatically), and allowing only
> Kopete to be upgraded.

The problem is that switching that USE-flag on or off makes no difference.
I still get the same error message about missing header file.

Thank you.

Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
Brent Busby posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:49:34 -0600 as excerpted:

> The reason you probably will want to do the latter is because Kopete
> isn't just a desktop thing -- it's an Internet client and it needs
> security support.

That's a very good point I hadn't thought of. Here, I'm normally way out
in front (running kde-4.10-beta1 aka 4.9.80 ATM, for instance), so I
don't normally have to worry about it. But for anyone still running kde3
for anything internet, it's a reasonable concern, indeed, and I'd be
/quite/ worried.

Re: Dependencies of KDE 3 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Igor Korot wrote:

> The problem is that switching that USE-flag on or off makes no
> difference. I still get the same error message about missing header
> file.

Hmm...that might be another thing that convinced me I needed to upgrade
to Kopete 4... :)