Mailing List Archive

Re: KDE-Sunset : kdelibs problem : SOLVED
121031 Alex Alexander wrote:
> Run "repoman manifest" in net-misc/mDNSResponder/ :)

Thanks ! -- that was the final piece of the puzzle
& I now have both Kmahjongg:3.5 & Kworldclock working !

As I said, it's only a temporary fix till a lib change breaks it all,
so I hope those interested in using KDE 3 apps/desktop
continue to get a Trinity overlay working for Gentoo.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
Re: KDE-Sunset : kdelibs problem : BUT [ In reply to ]
121030 Philip Webb wrote:
> 121031 Alex Alexander wrote:
> > Run "repoman manifest" in net-misc/mDNSResponder/ :)
> Thanks ! -- that was the final piece of the puzzle
> & I now have both Kmahjongg:3.5 & Kworldclock working !
> As I said, it's only a temporary fix till a lib change breaks it all

or even more quickly, what happens when I next update Portage ?
-- will it wipe out net-misc/mDNSResponder ? -- can I avoid that ?
Yes, I have a copy of the files & can recreate it easily
& anyway the whole point is simply to get the apps working again,
but can anyone reassure me or confirm my expectation (smile) ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
Re: KDE-Sunset : kdelibs problem : BUT [ In reply to ]
2012/10/31 Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net>

> 121030 Philip Webb wrote:
> > 121031 Alex Alexander wrote:
> > > Run "repoman manifest" in net-misc/mDNSResponder/ :)
> > Thanks ! -- that was the final piece of the puzzle
> > & I now have both Kmahjongg:3.5 & Kworldclock working !
> > As I said, it's only a temporary fix till a lib change breaks it all
>
> or even more quickly, what happens when I next update Portage ?
> -- will it wipe out net-misc/mDNSResponder ? -- can I avoid that ?
> Yes, I have a copy of the files & can recreate it easily
> & anyway the whole point is simply to get the apps working again,
> but can anyone reassure me or confirm my expectation (smile) ?

you are supposed to create a local overlay for such stuff.
As described e.g. here:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_Overlay#Local_Overlays
Re: KDE-Sunset : kdelibs problem : BUT [ In reply to ]
Fat-Zer posted on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 08:29:06 +0400 as excerpted:

> 2012/10/31 Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net>
>
>> 121030 Philip Webb wrote:
>> > Thanks ! -- that was the final piece of the puzzle & I now have both
>> > Kmahjongg:3.5 & Kworldclock working !
>> > As I said, it's only a temporary fix till a lib change breaks it all
>>
>> or even more quickly, what happens when I next update Portage ?
>> -- will it wipe out net-misc/mDNSResponder ? -- can I avoid that ?
>> Yes, I have a copy of the files & can recreate it easily & anyway the
>> whole point is simply to get the apps working again, but can anyone
>> reassure me or confirm my expectation (smile) ?
>>
> you are supposed to create a local overlay for such stuff. As described
> e.g. here: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_Overlay#Local_Overlays

Or in the handbook, Working with Portage, Diverting from the official
tree, here (this is the amd64 handbook, but it doesn't matter for this):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3&chap=5

How did you ever get the kde-sunset overlay setup without knowing about
overlays?

Meanwhile, if you don't know about that, you almost surely don't know
about a number of other important portage features. I'd suggest you
(re)read the whole working with portage part of the handbook. It's quite
possible you'll learn a lot more that'll make your gentoo life easier.
=:^)

Re: KDE-Sunset : kdelibs problem : BUT [ In reply to ]
121031 Fat-Zer wrote:
> 2012/10/31 Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net>
>> or even more quickly, what happens when I next update Portage ?
>> -- will it wipe out net-misc/mDNSResponder ? -- can I avoid that ?
> you are supposed to create a local overlay for such stuff:
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Portage_Overlay#Local_Overlays

Yes, it comes back ! Thanks again for the help.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb