Maybe I am missing something somewhere, I had gnome-light before and
upgraded to full gnome 3 a few weeks before.

Thanks for any pointers, Stefan
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
Use empathy and setup the accounts to auto-login. Also you need to be
"available" to be online. If you are "unavailable" the telepathy backend
won't login to the accounts setup in Empathy.

Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> I never used Instant Messaging so far, but now with gnome3 I see the
> screenshots of notifications within gnome shell and the somehow
> integrated chatting.
>
> But I have no idea how to get there on my desktop.
>
> I have the full gnome ebuild installed, got some gmail and icq account
> within pidgin or empathy but somehow I don't get it.
>
> Feels stupid ;-)
>
> Could someone get me started on this?
> I googled quite a while already but didn't get very far ...
>
> Maybe I am missing something somewhere, I had gnome-light before and
> upgraded to full gnome 3 a few weeks before.
>
> Thanks for any pointers, Stefan

Go to the "Online Accounts" dialog; the menu with your name at the top
right of the screen, select "Online Accounts". Alternatively, go to
System Settings (Windows key, type "settings", it should appear), and
select "Online Accounts". Click on the "+" button to add an account,
select Google (right now the only available, I believe), click "Add",
and a kinda-browser form will appear, where you should enter your
Google mail, and your password. You cick "sign", and Google will
notify you that GNOME is trying to access your accounts. You click
"grant access", and then select which Google services you want to
handle with GNOME (mail, calendar, chat, etc.) Then in the menu with
your name at the top right of the screen, select "Available".

Afterwards you open Empathy (Windows key, type "empathy; it should
appear), and it should connect you to your Google chat account.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
Am 21.03.2012 21:43, schrieb Brian Beardall:
> Use empathy and setup the accounts to auto-login. Also you need to be
> "available" to be online. If you are "unavailable" the telepathy backend
> won't login to the accounts setup in Empathy.

So I have that already, ok. I was looking for more to do ;-)
Thanks, Stefan
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
Am 21.03.2012 21:48, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>>
>> I never used Instant Messaging so far, but now with gnome3 I see the
>> screenshots of notifications within gnome shell and the somehow
>> integrated chatting.
>>
>> But I have no idea how to get there on my desktop.
>>
>> I have the full gnome ebuild installed, got some gmail and icq account
>> within pidgin or empathy but somehow I don't get it.
>>
>> Feels stupid ;-)
>>
>> Could someone get me started on this?
>> I googled quite a while already but didn't get very far ...
>>
>> Maybe I am missing something somewhere, I had gnome-light before and
>> upgraded to full gnome 3 a few weeks before.
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers, Stefan
>
> Go to the "Online Accounts" dialog; the menu with your name at the top
> right of the screen, select "Online Accounts". Alternatively, go to
> System Settings (Windows key, type "settings", it should appear), and
> select "Online Accounts". Click on the "+" button to add an account,
> select Google (right now the only available, I believe), click "Add",
> and a kinda-browser form will appear, where you should enter your
> Google mail, and your password. You cick "sign", and Google will
> notify you that GNOME is trying to access your accounts. You click
> "grant access", and then select which Google services you want to
> handle with GNOME (mail, calendar, chat, etc.) Then in the menu with
> your name at the top right of the screen, select "Available".
>
> Afterwards you open Empathy (Windows key, type "empathy; it should
> appear), and it should connect you to your Google chat account.

So I have to open empathy and it is not enough to be logged in?
That was one of my main questions.

I already added the account successfully already, I just have to check
out how to find rooms (if there are one there ?)

Is it possible to get skype into this as well?

Thanks, Stefan
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 21.03.2012 21:48, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>>>
>>> I never used Instant Messaging so far, but now with gnome3 I see the
>>> screenshots of notifications within gnome shell and the somehow
>>> integrated chatting.
>>>
>>> But I have no idea how to get there on my desktop.
>>>
>>> I have the full gnome ebuild installed, got some gmail and icq account
>>> within pidgin or empathy but somehow I don't get it.
>>>
>>> Feels stupid ;-)
>>>
>>> Could someone get me started on this?
>>> I googled quite a while already but didn't get very far ...
>>>
>>> Maybe I am missing something somewhere, I had gnome-light before and
>>> upgraded to full gnome 3 a few weeks before.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any pointers, Stefan
>>
>> Go to the "Online Accounts" dialog; the menu with your name at the top
>> right of the screen, select "Online Accounts". Alternatively, go to
>> System Settings (Windows key, type "settings", it should appear), and
>> select "Online Accounts". Click on the "+" button to add an account,
>> select Google (right now the only available, I believe), click "Add",
>> and a kinda-browser form will appear, where you should enter your
>> Google mail, and your password. You cick "sign", and Google will
>> notify you that GNOME is trying to access your accounts. You click
>> "grant access", and then select which Google services you want to
>> handle with GNOME (mail, calendar, chat, etc.) Then in the menu with
>> your name at the top right of the screen, select "Available".
>>
>> Afterwards you open Empathy (Windows key, type "empathy; it should
>> appear), and it should connect you to your Google chat account.
>
> So I have to open empathy and it is not enough to be logged in?
> That was one of my main questions.

I'm not sure. I think even if you don't open Empathy, it will connect
you, and then you will receive messages through the notification
system.

> I already added the account successfully already, I just have to check
> out how to find rooms (if there are one there ?)

Mmmh. Google Chat is not like IRChat. It's more like messenger; you
have your contacts, and you can chat with them and them with you.

> Is it possible to get skype into this as well?

No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a
proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for
it.

However, Google Chat allows voice-talk, and it works really well. The
video conference support is more immature, but I hope it will work
eventually.

> Thanks, Stefan

Regards.
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 21 March 2012 23:13:07 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
[...]

> > Is it possible to get skype into this as well?
>
> No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a
> proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for
> it.

Actually... http://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit

[...]

--
Serghei
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
Am 21.03.2012 22:13, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>> So I have to open empathy and it is not enough to be logged in?
>> That was one of my main questions.
>
> I'm not sure. I think even if you don't open Empathy, it will connect
> you, and then you will receive messages through the notification
> system.

ok, I see. Gotta test that.

>> I already added the account successfully already, I just have to check
>> out how to find rooms (if there are one there ?)
>
> Mmmh. Google Chat is not like IRChat. It's more like messenger; you
> have your contacts, and you can chat with them and them with you.

I see. More of a concept understanding problem here, I see ;-)

>> Is it possible to get skype into this as well?
>
> No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a
> proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for
> it.

I somewhere read something about it fitting into pidgin or empathy, but
I would have to dig that up again. It would be nice to have all that in
one interface.

> However, Google Chat allows voice-talk, and it works really well. The
> video conference support is more immature, but I hope it will work
> eventually.

No hurry, still no cam in my office ;-)

Thanks! Stefan
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Serghei Amelian <serghei@thel.ro> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2012 23:13:07 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> [...]
>
>> > Is it possible to get skype into this as well?
>>
>> No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a
>> proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for
>> it.
>
> Actually... http://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit

I had heard about it; but I haven't heard anything about a different
Linux client for Skype that the one provided by Skype. Do you know
about any? I would love to have a GTK+ client for Skype (Skype it's
the only application that I [seldom] use that uses Qt).

Regards.
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 21 March 2012 23:28:11 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Serghei Amelian <serghei@thel.ro> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 March 2012 23:13:07 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a
> >> proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for
> >> it.
> >
> > Actually... http://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit
>
> I had heard about it; but I haven't heard anything about a different
> Linux client for Skype that the one provided by Skype. Do you know
> about any? I would love to have a GTK+ client for Skype (Skype it's
> the only application that I [seldom] use that uses Qt).
>
> Regards.

Hmm, not exactly. Check this plugin for libpurple (used by Pidgin):
http://code.google.com/p/skype4pidgin/

--
Serghei
Re: Gnome 3 instant messaging [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Serghei Amelian <serghei@thel.ro> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2012 23:28:11 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Serghei Amelian <serghei@thel.ro> wrote:
>> > On Wednesday 21 March 2012 23:13:07 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Actually... http://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit
>>
>> I had heard about it; but I haven't heard anything about a different
>> Linux client for Skype that the one provided by Skype. Do you know
>> about any? I would love to have a GTK+ client for Skype (Skype it's
>> the only application that I [seldom] use that uses Qt).
>>
>> Regards.
>
> Hmm, not exactly. Check this plugin for libpurple (used by Pidgin):
> http://code.google.com/p/skype4pidgin/

Ouch, that sucks. You still need Skype running; what I wanted was not
to install Qt, not having it "hidden".

Now that Skype is owned by Microsoft, I'm pretty sure will never see
an independent native 3rd-party client on Linux.

Regards.