Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Re: kde-sunset: new akode build problems [ In reply to ]
Looking back through the list archives, it looks like unmasking the -r10
version of kdelibs and the -r1 version of kcontrol are recommended to
fix this, however, some in the same thread have said that this breaks
some functions of kio's being able to use sftp:// URL's (e.g. in
Konqueror). What's everybody doing these days to get around the SSL
issues?

--
+ Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
+ UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
Re: Re: kde-sunset: new akode build problems [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Brent Busby <brent@keycorner.org> wrote:

> Looking back through the list archives, it looks like unmasking the -r10
> version of kdelibs and the -r1 version of kcontrol are recommended to fix
> this, however, some in the same thread have said that this breaks some
> functions of kio's being able to use sftp:// URL's (e.g. in Konqueror).
> What's everybody doing these days to get around the SSL issues?

Don't use versions of openssh more recent thant 5.5*. This will be fixed in
Trinity although it may be some kind of easy patch. Haven't looked into it.

Best regards,
Tiago

Re: Re: kde-sunset: new akode build problems [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Brent Busby <brent@keycorner.org> wrote:

> It's been a long time since I last checked on the kde-sunset overlay, so I
> tried again to build it on a machine that had no existing KDE 3 install.
> This was the same machine that was having trouble several months ago
> compiling akode.
>
> It still had the same build error with akode as before, which I remember
> many people had tried to diagnose. I gave up on akode, and disabled arts as
> well. On a machine with a modern alsa implementation, it's probably better
> to do without all these sound frontends anyway. So I'm installing with
> direct alsa support.
>
> That was going well, but there's a much more serious problem:
>
> The main Gentoo Portage has now upgraded OpenSSL to 1.0.0d. The kde-sunset
> overlay seems to get itself confused, trying to install 0.9.8r in a slot,
> but then not using it, and trying to link to 1.0.0d. The build fails while
> compiling kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r6:

Not quite. I think that it is 0.9.8r that is also incompatible. I'm using
0.9.8q on my local overlay, which I've managed to dig up. See the
attachment. Either way the only way this is going to really get fixed is to
have a look at the code. I'm thinkin Trinity might also be another way to go
but the ongoing CMake port is taking a while due to lack of manpower.

Best regards,
Tiago

Re: Re: kde-sunset: new akode build problems [ In reply to ]
Brent Busby writes:

> The main Gentoo Portage has now upgraded OpenSSL to 1.0.0d. The
> kde-sunset overlay seems to get itself confused, trying to install
> 0.9.8r in a slot, but then not using it, and trying to link to 1.0.0d.
> The build fails while compiling kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r6:
[...]
> Is there a way to make the overlay build correctly with the new OpenSSL?

I think I read on a FreeBSD list that some people there deinstall OpenSSL 1,
build kdelibs-3.5, and reinstall OpenSSL 1. Haven't tried this myself yet.

Wonko
Re: Re: kde-sunset: new akode build problems [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Brent Busby writes:
>
>> The main Gentoo Portage has now upgraded OpenSSL to 1.0.0d. The
>> kde-sunset overlay seems to get itself confused, trying to install
>> 0.9.8r in a slot, but then not using it, and trying to link to 1.0.0d.
>> The build fails while compiling kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r6:
> [...]
>> Is there a way to make the overlay build correctly with the new OpenSSL?
>
> I think I read on a FreeBSD list that some people there deinstall OpenSSL 1,
> build kdelibs-3.5, and reinstall OpenSSL 1. Haven't tried this myself yet.

I'd actually try it if I thought it would also fix the SSH problems.
I've read in this thread that you lose 'sftp://' functionality in
programs that support kioslaves unless you run a dated version of SSH,
and that doesn't sound good. Maybe KDE 3 is finally starting to be
unsupportable.

Re: Re: kde-sunset: new akode build problems [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Brent Busby <brent@keycorner.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Alex Schuster wrote:
>
> Brent Busby writes:
>>
>> The main Gentoo Portage has now upgraded OpenSSL to 1.0.0d. The
>>> kde-sunset overlay seems to get itself confused, trying to install
>>> 0.9.8r in a slot, but then not using it, and trying to link to 1.0.0d.
>>> The build fails while compiling kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r6:
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Is there a way to make the overlay build correctly with the new OpenSSL?
>>>

>> I think I read on a FreeBSD list that some people there deinstall OpenSSL
>> 1,
>> build kdelibs-3.5, and reinstall OpenSSL 1. Haven't tried this myself yet.
>>

> I'd actually try it if I thought it would also fix the SSH problems. I've
> read in this thread that you lose 'sftp://' functionality in programs that
> support kioslaves unless you run a dated version of SSH, and that doesn't
> sound good. Maybe KDE 3 is finally starting to be unsupportable.

Yes, it is. Although it's fixable. You can also try Trinity, which is now up
to version 3.5.12 IIRC, although there are no Gentoo packages available yet.

Best regards