Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 23:23 -0500, Harry Holt wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Frank Freeman
> <ffreeman@digitalns.net> wrote:
> unsubscribe
>
> Hmph. You can't get out that easy.
>
> Please Note: In some later model unsubscribe kits, the "OFF" indicator has
> been replaced by "POWER-UP STANDBY ENABLE". Accordingly the "ON" indicator
>
> has been replaced by the much clearer, "POWER-DOWN STANDBY ENABLE". Contact
> your internet service provider for a list of affected model numbers. An
> "ON-OFF" retrofit panel kit is available for those who have difficulty with

Harry, your directions to Mr. Freeman were clear and concise. I didn't
realize that the process of unsubscribing was so simple. I believe you
forgot one thing though. He will, at some point, need to wash his mouse
out with soap. If he uses the Auto-Unusb feature, this can easily done
while he's in the shower, but if he uses some other proceedure, some
other provision must be made for completing this step.

--
Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 22:54, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@fmp.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 23:23 -0500, Harry Holt wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Frank Freeman
>> <ffreeman@digitalns.net> wrote:
>> unsubscribe
>>
>> Hmph. You can't get out that easy.
>>
>> Please Note: In some later model unsubscribe kits, the "OFF" indicator has
>> been replaced by "POWER-UP STANDBY ENABLE". Accordingly the "ON" indicator
>>
>> has been replaced by the much clearer, "POWER-DOWN STANDBY ENABLE". Contact
>> your internet service provider for a list of affected model numbers. An
>> "ON-OFF" retrofit panel kit is available for those who have difficulty with
>
> Harry, your directions to Mr. Freeman were clear and concise. I didn't
> realize that the process of unsubscribing was so simple. I believe you
> forgot one thing though. He will, at some point, need to wash his mouse
> out with soap. If he uses the Auto-Unusb feature, this can easily done
> while he's in the shower, but if he uses some other proceedure, some
> other provision must be made for completing this step.
>
> --
> Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
> FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at
> 512-259-1190 | is both the same" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
> http://www.fmp.com | - Anonymous |

Lindsay,
even your directions, still being in the right track, miss the obvious
caveat: the user has to be warned (for the sake of completeness) that
he must be particularly wary if he owns a cat - in that case the
auto-unsub feature might not work and require manual intervention.

Ciao,

michelangelo
Re: unsubscribe [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 01:39 +0100, Michelangelo Bottura wrote:
> even your directions, still being in the right track, miss the obvious
> caveat: the user has to be warned (for the sake of completeness) that
> he must be particularly wary if he owns a cat - in that case the
> auto-unsub feature might not work and require manual intervention.

That's correct. It's recommended that a list subscriber unsubscribe
from any cat he or she may own prior to attempting any other unsubscribe
procedure as described by Mr. Holt. I believe, however, that a
discussion of the process of unsubscribing from a cat is rather
seriously OT for this list.

--
Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | Accredited
FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | by the
Re: UNSUBSCRIBE [ In reply to ]
Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> P. S. I do get a kick out of these. People figure oout how to get on here
>> but can't get off here. lol
>>
> Especially when every single message contains these useful headers:

> And, of course, when people sign up they are sent this information:
>

>> Welcome! You have been subscribed to the
>>
>> gentoo-desktop@lists.gentoo.org
>>
>> mailinglist.
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a message to:

>> And for help send a message to:
>>
>> gentoo-desktop+help@lists.gentoo.org
>>

> Not to mention the very first result for "gentoo mailing list" on google is:
> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
>
> (which contains the above mentioned information and more)

And let's not forget, they almost certainly got the instructions to
subscribe off the Gentoo mailing list page. Most any mailing list I
have ever seen has the instructions to subscribe and unsubscribe on the
same page.

Sort of weird people can't remember how they subscribed.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: UNSUBSCRIBE [ In reply to ]
Dale posted on Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:41:09 -0500 as excerpted:

> And let's not forget, they almost certainly got the instructions to
> subscribe off the Gentoo mailing list page. Most any mailing list I
> have ever seen has the instructions to subscribe and unsubscribe on the
> same page.
>
> Sort of weird people can't remember how they subscribed.

Well, given what Gentoo is, a Linux (meta)distribution that while it
generally does have quite good documentation (by the time it reaches
stable, at least), it expects users to have some intellect and not be
afraid to use it, and doesn't apologize for not doing any hand-holding
(the typical saying, "If it breaks, you get to keep the pieces", if you
can't/won't read them...

Think about it. If you somehow mistakenly thought Gentoo was for you but
you couldn't/wouldn't read docs, wouldn't you be trying to unsubscribe as
well... and having problems because you /couldn't/ (or at least didn't)
read the docs. =:^)

Face it. There's a lot more folks that like the "we make what would be
your decisions for you" Ubuntus and Macs of the world than like the Gentoos
and the LFSs (Linux-from-Scratchs). They'll be like a beached whale on
Gentoo, and Gentoo really doesn't make any apologies for it, being quite
happy to point them to Ubuntu, etc, if they're that kind of user.

Re: UNSUBSCRIBE [ In reply to ]
You need to email gentoo-desktop+unsubscribe@lists.gentoo.org to unsubscribe.

1 2  View All