same error.

My hardware: VGA: Intel 82852/855GM

Thanks in advance.

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 October 2004 4:59 pm, Ettore Salvi wrote:
> Hi everybody:
> I'm installing Gentoo on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A30 ).
> For XFree86Config

Your first mistake is using XFree. Most of the Linux world (incl Gentoo) are
using X.org now.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios
Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 10:45, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> What are the advantages of X.org over XFree?

All the development that's happened since XFree86 4.3.0 was released
around February 2003.

> If I have XFree successfully installed and running, are there any advantages
> to switching?

See above.

> Do 3rd party vendors, notably VMWare which I think supplies an optimized
> XFree driver, support X.org?

A VMWare employee has commit rights to X.Org CVS. To my knowledge, this
was never the case with XFree86.

Also, it's branched off of XFree86 pre-4.4, so it has everything that
had and more, minus the license problems and lack of committers.
--
Donnie Berkholz
Gentoo Linux

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Luke-Jr on Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:10:32PM CDT
> On Friday 08 October 2004 4:59 pm, Ettore Salvi wrote:
> > Hi everybody:
> > I'm installing Gentoo on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A30 ).
> > For XFree86Config
>
> Your first mistake is using XFree. Most of the Linux world (incl Gentoo) are
> using X.org now.

This is news to me, although I note, now that you mention it, that there's
an xorg-x11 ebuild in Gentoo (blocked by XFree). When I installed Gentoo on
my desktop box a year ago or so, I believe that Xfree was recommended.

A few questions:

What are the advantages of X.org over XFree?

If I have XFree successfully installed and running, are there any advantages
to switching?

Do 3rd party vendors, notably VMWare which I think supplies an optimized
XFree driver, support X.org?

--
Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 11:39, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > This is news to me, although I note, now that you mention it, that there's
> > an xorg-x11 ebuild in Gentoo (blocked by XFree). When I installed Gentoo
> > on my desktop box a year ago or so, I believe that Xfree was recommended.
>
> I'm not sure X.org *existed* a year ago... it certainly wasn't as popular as
> it is now.

Please, man. Try six years.

http://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_mail.tpl?CALLER=show_archive.tpl&source=L&listname=xorg_foundation&id=445
--
Donnie Berkholz
Gentoo Linux

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
Hi

You can use "X -configure" to create a working base config.

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 October 2004 5:45 pm, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Thus spake Luke-Jr on Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:10:32PM CDT
>
> > On Friday 08 October 2004 4:59 pm, Ettore Salvi wrote:
> > > Hi everybody:
> > > I'm installing Gentoo on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A30 ).
> > > For XFree86Config
> >
> > Your first mistake is using XFree. Most of the Linux world (incl Gentoo)
> > are using X.org now.
>
> This is news to me, although I note, now that you mention it, that there's
> an xorg-x11 ebuild in Gentoo (blocked by XFree). When I installed Gentoo
> on my desktop box a year ago or so, I believe that Xfree was recommended.

I'm not sure X.org *existed* a year ago... it certainly wasn't as popular as
it is now.

> A few questions:
>
> What are the advantages of X.org over XFree?

Updates, transparency, Damage extention (fast VNC), newer video drivers,
etc...
Note that XFree will not be updated in Gentoo and may even be removed in the
future.

> If I have XFree successfully installed and running, are there any
> advantages to switching?

See above :)

> Do 3rd party vendors, notably VMWare which I think supplies an optimized
> XFree driver, support X.org?
No clue.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios
Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
I am ~x86 for all of my machines except my firewall, so I am using 6.8.0
for everything except my Maya box, which has to run 6.7.0 because of
issues with ATI's binary driver and 6.8.0. (although my ATI developer
contacts say it'll probably happen soon, but part of the problem is a
BIG ATI release that should put ATI's OpenGL on par or better than their
Windows OpenGL) All in all, I would probably choose to use 6.8.0 on an
otherwise stable box. Should just need to:
echo x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0 x86 > /etc/portage/package.keywords

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 12:35, Stuart Stegall wrote:
> I am ~x86 for all of my machines except my firewall, so I am using 6.8.0
> for everything except my Maya box, which has to run 6.7.0 because of
> issues with ATI's binary driver and 6.8.0. (although my ATI developer
> contacts say it'll probably happen soon, but part of the problem is a
> BIG ATI release that should put ATI's OpenGL on par or better than their
> Windows OpenGL) All in all, I would probably choose to use 6.8.0 on an
> otherwise stable box. Should just need to:
> echo x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0 x86 > /etc/portage/package.keywords

I'll probably mark it stable on x86 around this weekend. There are a few
last links I'd like to work out.
--
Donnie Berkholz
Gentoo Linux

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 13:07, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> I'll probably mark it stable on x86 around this weekend. There are a few
> last links I'd like to work out.

s/links/kinks/
--
Donnie Berkholz
Gentoo Linux

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 October 2004 5:48 pm, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 11:39, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > > This is news to me, although I note, now that you mention it, that
> > > there's an xorg-x11 ebuild in Gentoo (blocked by XFree). When I
> > > installed Gentoo on my desktop box a year ago or so, I believe that
> > > Xfree was recommended.
> >
> > I'm not sure X.org *existed* a year ago... it certainly wasn't as popular
> > as it is now.
>
> Please, man. Try six years.
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_mail.tpl?CALLER=show_archive.tpl&so
>urce=L&listname=xorg_foundation&id=445

I said I wasn't sure that it did, not that I was sure that it didn't. Or are
you arguing that it's been just as popular for the past six years? O.o
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios
Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 16:09, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Note that xorg-x11-6.8.0 depends on ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r2 which is also
> unstable, so that will need to be resolved too.

I don't need to note that, actually, because repoman takes care of it
for me.
--
Donnie Berkholz
Gentoo Linux

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Donnie Berkholz on Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:07:55PM CDT

Re: Xorg-Toshiba Laptop [ In reply to ]