Mailing List Archive

OpenLDAP docs (was: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?)
On Wednesday 06 October 2004 23:53, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Thus spake Paul de Vrieze on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:33:48PM CDT
> > Reminds me of the openldap project. There is no documentation whatsoever
> > on how to actually operate the darn thing beyond the very basics. (Well
> > some independent, incomplete, howto's you find after some looking around)
>
> Gentoo had an openldap setup HOWTO a while back, and I really wanted to
> make it work, and dug into the HOWTO. Unfortunately, the HOWTO was pretty
> loose around the edges and at least partially as a result of a bug report I
> filed, it got pulled from the website.

I don't know why documentation stuff gets removed from the website anyway.
Even if the docs are bad, it's better than to have none at all. That's why
I'd propose an official documentation wiki, but that's another thread.
Concerning the LDAP HOWTO and docs, the problem I had with all of them was
that there were no docs around which told me for example how to organize my
tree, or which are the most commonly used objectClasses. You know, all
guides explain to you how to set up the software, all tell you that there is
a tree and stuff, but none tells you how you should use it.

Tim

Re: OpenLDAP docs (was: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?) [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 07 October 2004 12:51, Tim Weber wrote:
> I don't know why documentation stuff gets removed from the website
> anyway. Even if the docs are bad, it's better than to have none at all.
> That's why I'd propose an official documentation wiki, but that's
> another thread. Concerning the LDAP HOWTO and docs, the problem I had
> with all of them was that there were no docs around which told me for
> example how to organize my tree, or which are the most commonly used
> objectClasses. You know, all guides explain to you how to set up the
> software, all tell you that there is a tree and stuff, but none tells
> you how you should use it.

Which was exactly the issue I was pointing at. Setting up openldap is not
hard. Actually using it usefully is. How do I put my address book in
ldap? How do I use ldap for authentication. How do I use ldap for
centralised administration.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer
Re: OpenLDAP docs (was: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 12:51:16PM +0200, Tim Weber wrote:
> I don't know why documentation stuff gets removed from the website anyway.

If it's unmaintained and there are bugs about the document, we generally
remove the link from the index but the document remains
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml is still available).

If the document contains more erroneous information than your memoires, we
move it up the Attic.

> Concerning the LDAP HOWTO and docs, the problem I had with all of them was
> that there were no docs around which told me for example how to organize my
> tree, or which are the most commonly used objectClasses. You know, all
> guides explain to you how to set up the software, all tell you that there is
> a tree and stuff, but none tells you how you should use it.

True, but without someone experienced in this area it's quite difficult to
write such docs.

Sven Vermeulen

--
Documentation & PR project leader