Mailing List Archive

Timeline for merging gatos into xorg?
I've just been reading a post to gentoo-desktop from July (X fall preview):

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.desktop/1271

which suggests that the ATI gatos drivers are going to be merged into
Gentoo "soon" (I assume as part of xorg, since that's the new standard,
and it apparently has an xorg version), which I interpret given the
title to mean "sometime before the fall". Just wondering if anyone
knows whether this is still a "soon" (i.e. hold your horses, we meant
sometime *during* the fall, not 4 days in), if something's gone wrong
with merging it, or if there's a more concrete timeline.

Not trying to be pushy, just trying to decide whether it would be
worthwhile to go ahead and try to build gatos with xorg manually (which
appears to be a bit messy), or whether I should just wait a few weeks
for a new xorg. My little sister can handle a few weeks without
television now that she's back in school, but if it gets to be a month
without MacGyver there'll be heck to pay :) .

Alternately, if anyone has a recipe for building ati-gatos on Gentoo
(for amd64 w/ 6.7 kernel and xorg-6.8) that doesn't involve karking up
xorg, would be happy to hear about that.

Thanks all,
Mike

Re: Timeline for merging gatos into xorg? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 25 September 2004 01:24 pm, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> I've just been reading a post to gentoo-desktop from July (X fall preview):
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.desktop/1271
>
> which suggests that the ATI gatos drivers are going to be merged into
> Gentoo "soon" (I assume as part of xorg, since that's the new standard,
> and it apparently has an xorg version), which I interpret given the
> title to mean "sometime before the fall". Just wondering if anyone
> knows whether this is still a "soon" (i.e. hold your horses, we meant
> sometime *during* the fall, not 4 days in), if something's gone wrong
> with merging it, or if there's a more concrete timeline.

I've got no idea about the timeline for the upstream GATOS merge. I do have a
working ebuild for ati-4.4.0 against X.org 6.7.0 and I was able to make a
trivial patch to allow it to build against 6.8.0, so whenever I get a chance
(which probably means whenever I get usable Internet access at school
*cough*) I will push the files and ebuild up.

I apologize for not having done this earlier. I was planning to do it during
the first week of college, but our network is being overrun by viruses and
it's still rarely up. I've been told by staffers that it could be sorta up as
early as Monday afternoon, so I'll try my best to get the job done then.

> Not trying to be pushy, just trying to decide whether it would be
> worthwhile to go ahead and try to build gatos with xorg manually (which
> appears to be a bit messy), or whether I should just wait a few weeks
> for a new xorg. My little sister can handle a few weeks without
> television now that she's back in school, but if it gets to be a month
> without MacGyver there'll be heck to pay :) .

I'm the same way with Futurama and Family Guy...and Gamecube...and
MXC...perhaps I should cut back a little...

Back on-topic, if you want any more help or info about GATOS with Gentoo, feel
free to email me.