So, I'm not sure that this is an Rev issue or USB 2 issue, but I've only encountered this problem Rev drive.

Stuart
-- gentoo-amd64@gentoo.org mailing list
Re: Iomega Rev & USB 2 [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 23 September 2004 3:22 pm, Stuart Haas wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience with an Iomeg Rev drive.
>
> Apparently everything works fine.  I can mount, read and write to the
> drive.  The problem is when I write a large volume of data to the drive,
> the drive slows to a crawl (and so does the computer for that matter, but
> CPU usage is more or less 0).   The system load jumps and it takes several
> hours before the data is completely written to the drive and I can unmount
> it.  It might be important to note that the backup application or whatever
> I'm using finishes a long time before the buffer is written to disk.  I
> probably should be sending iostat output, but I needed to work on my
> computer today and it was last night that I last encountered this issue.
> This problem really makes the Rev drive unusable.
>
> So, I'm not sure that this is an Rev issue or USB 2 issue, but I've only
> encountered this problem Rev drive.

I find it unlikely that it's a USB2 issue, unless it's a problem with USB
that's just recently been introduced in a new kernel. What kernel are you
running?

I use a USB2 enclosure for my 80GB IDE hard drive and I experience no
slowdowns. I'm typically copying video captures or large MP3 collections
back and forth between that drive and my internal SATA drive.

--
Jason Huebel
Gentoo/amd64 Strategic Lead

GPG Public Key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9BA9E230

"Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand."
Baruch Spinoza (1632 - 1677)
Re: Iomega Rev & USB 2 [ In reply to ]
2.6.8-gentoo-r4

I've had this issue from about 2.6.5 when I bought the drive, just never really got around to really troubleshooting this issue.