Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: ATI 3d support when? [ In reply to ]
May I cordially invite you to restrict your proselytizing to
http://utopios.org. This is not a religious forum, but the gentoo-amd64
mailing list, and , as such, should be limited to related topics.

Re: ATI 3d support when? [ In reply to ]
Luke-Jr wrote:
> That will soon change. Also note, I intend to stop using Linux as soon as the
> HURD makes for a good replacement. Will nVidia be providing HURD drivers
> soon? I highly doubt it...

wait wait wait. Are you abandoning your utopios project? Shouldn't you
be coding some free software about now? On that note, I challenge your

Re: ATI 3d support when? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 18 Sep 2004 15:21, Luke-Jr wrote:
> Linux is a mere kernel.

Without which gcc and glibc would be mere projects reliant for there main use
on proprietary third party kernels.

> You may be right in classifying it as Linux distro
> for now, but as mentioned above, once there is a usable alternative that
> could soon change. If not the HURD,

The HURD may happen one day, but if it does it will be due to Debian.

> possibly BSD or Darwin (though not
> likely unless either suddenly work with glibc).

Why should they? Last I knew the GPL isn't compatible with the BSD license.
Since they already have their own fully functional, stable, secure, and BSD
licensed libc what is the possible reason for them to switch?

> "Linux distribution"
> restricts things to using Linux for a kernel and overemphasises it. What
> end user cares what particular kernel their computer uses? Most probably
> don't care about the commandline userland and only about the DE.

Let's be honest. Most PC users run MS Windows of some variety. I doubt many
of them would even know what a kernel is. People that run Linux or *nix most
definitely do care. About 8 or 9 years ago I would probably have gone for
BSD.

--
Ian.

Re: ATI 3d support when? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 19 September 2004 2:55 am, Ian Hastie wrote:
> On Saturday 18 Sep 2004 15:21, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > possibly BSD or Darwin (though not
> > likely unless either suddenly work with glibc).
>
> Why should they? Last I knew the GPL isn't compatible with the BSD
> license. Since they already have their own fully functional, stable,
> secure, and BSD licensed libc what is the possible reason for them to
> switch?

Who said switch? Just because glibc might work w/ BSD doesn't mean libc will
stop. At least some of the Gentoo BSD croud would be interested in a
BSDkernel/glibc system, so it's not like there's noone who would want it.

> > "Linux distribution"
> > restricts things to using Linux for a kernel and overemphasises it. What
> > end user cares what particular kernel their computer uses? Most probably
> > don't care about the commandline userland and only about the DE.
>
> Let's be honest. Most PC users run MS Windows of some variety.

Only those who don't have anyone to configure a nice Linux box and can't
afford a Mac.

> I doubt many of them would even know what a kernel is.

Which is why the term "Linux distro" wouldn't make sense for them.

> People that run Linux or *nix most definitely do care.

*Current* people who run *nix do, simply because the criteria for getting such
a system requires someone who knows about it.

> About 8 or 9 years ago I would probably have gone for BSD.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios
http://utopios.org/
Re: ATI 3d support when? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 18 September 2004 00:11, Jason Huebel wrote:

> The HURD? Seriously? How long have we been waiting for the HURD? 5 years?
> 10?

14.

--
http://thisurlenablesemailtogetthroughoverzealousspamfilters.org