Mailing List Archive

I can run 32-bit stuff and you can't (was Re: Re: Did devs change phonon flags without rev'ing package?)
I expected quibbling on the ‘need’ to run a 32-bit binary. Fact is,
‘need’ is up to the user, and not up to others. If you want to install
the main Firefox binary it is 32-bit; and that’s just one
example. Substitute any software name you like in there, as a 32-bit
binary; the hardware can run it. Only software can prevent that.

As I say, the distinction is mainly due to Gentoo having botched
multilib support on AMD64. We should have stuck with the original
layout, whereby there was no profile distinction and everything 64-bit
went in lib. There should be no need to install 32-bit toolchain if
you do not want it, regardless of a profile supporting multilib.