emerge -pvDuN rstudio

and see if it's trying to pull in lots of unstable haskell packages to
build rstudio-0.98.490-r1?

I've had to mask the stable version and use 0.98.490 for quite a long
time but I'm wondering if I have something misconfigured that' s
causing this.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Re: Do stable packages require stable dependencies? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a rule or something else in the way Gentoo is set up that
> requires/states/recommends that for a package to be marked as stable
> it is a requirement that all dependencies also be stable?

Yes

> If someone has a basically stable system and can take the time could
> you possibly try
>
> emerge -pvDuN rstudio
>
> and see if it's trying to pull in lots of unstable haskell packages to
> build rstudio-0.98.490-r1?

The problem is that it is trying to install the latest ~arch version
of rstudio, which seems like a portage bug to me.

This command works fine:
emerge -pvDuN "=sci-mathematics/rstudio-0.98.490-r1"

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with rstudio here, only that
portage is trying to install an unstable version of it on a stable
system. I'd suggest logging a portage bug.

--
Rich
Re: Do stable packages require stable dependencies? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 6:33 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a rule or something else in the way Gentoo is set up that
>> requires/states/recommends that for a package to be marked as stable
>> it is a requirement that all dependencies also be stable?
>
> Yes

Thanks.

>> If someone has a basically stable system and can take the time could
>> you possibly try
>>
>> emerge -pvDuN rstudio
>>
>> and see if it's trying to pull in lots of unstable haskell packages to
>> build rstudio-0.98.490-r1?
>
> The problem is that it is trying to install the latest ~arch version
> of rstudio, which seems like a portage bug to me.
>
> This command works fine:
> emerge -pvDuN "=sci-mathematics/rstudio-0.98.490-r1"
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with rstudio here, only that
> portage is trying to install an unstable version of it on a stable
> system. I'd suggest logging a portage bug.
>
> --
> Rich

As Penny on Big Bang Theory says 'Oh crap on a stick'. rstudio was
marked as ~amd64 I forgot to look at my keywords file. I removed the
rstudio ~amd64 entry there and it works fine now:

c2RAID6 ~ # vi /etc/portage/package.keywords/package.keywords_file
c2RAID6 ~ # emerge -pvDuN rstudio

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ] sci-mathematics/rstudio-0.98.490-r1 [0.98.490]
USE="(-dedicated%) (-server%)" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
c2RAID6 ~ #

Stupid me but that's better as there's no portage bug, just a buggy user.

Thanks Rich!

Cheers,
Mark