laptop.
What files could have such a configuration, that I need to look into ?

Thank you.
Re: keymap broken [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 22:21 -0400, Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
> I got a newer laptop, and rather than installing gentoo, I just
> swapped the hard disks. Now when I boot into the new one,
> it works up to the level I am expecting (still need some drivers), but
> the keyboard act wierd. When I press "m" it types "0",
> and some other keys don't send anything at all.
> This issue starts when I start my xdm (configured to start slim). With
> the text run level (console), there's no issues until I start and stop
> xdm.
>
> I am not sure if I modified something long time ago in the config, to
> use different keymaps, but this issue didn't exist on the older
> laptop.
> What files could have such a configuration, that I need to look into ?
>
> Thank you.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

Configuring your keyboard

To setup X to use an international keyboard, you just have to create the
appropriate config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. This example features
a Czech keyboard layout:

# nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-keyboard.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "keyboard-all"
Driver "evdev"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,cz"
Option "XkbModel" "logitech_g15"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbOptions"
"grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp:switch,grp_led:scroll,compose:rwin,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
Option "XkbVariant" ",qwerty"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection
Re: keymap broken [ In reply to ]
Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
> I got a newer laptop, and rather than installing gentoo, I just
> swapped the hard disks. Now when I boot into the new one,
> it works up to the level I am expecting (still need some drivers), but
> the keyboard act wierd. When I press "m" it types "0",
> and some other keys don't send anything at all.
> This issue starts when I start my xdm (configured to start slim). With
> the text run level (console), there's no issues until I start and stop
> xdm.
>
> I am not sure if I modified something long time ago in the config, to
> use different keymaps, but this issue didn't exist on the older
> laptop.
> What files could have such a configuration, that I need to look into ?
>
> Thank you.

That may be the laptop itself. My ex did this once. There is a way to
put the laptop in numlock mode for entering a lot of numbers. I think
it is ALT and something up across the top on the right hand side. I
don't think it is a function key but it may be. If yours is anything
like my ex's, it will have numlock somewhere on the key. Hers was a
different color to match the other key, ALT I think. Just do some color
matching on that.

Every manufacturer is different but maybe, just maybe this will get you
on track to at least finding a solution.

If this changes after you have booted, try removing the numlock service
from the default runlevel. That may cause the same thing I described
above. Most want that on a desktop but not on a laptop.

Hope this helps.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: keymap broken [ In reply to ]
Thank you Dale.
That did the trick. I was not able to remove the service, as it
doesn't exist, but it gave me an idea about turning the numlock off.
For others in same situation, it can be done with Fn+Alt+Num Lk on
Asus Laptop U46E