ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
After this everything works as it should.
Where is this setting help?
I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo.
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my
> network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
> system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?
> I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
> I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.
> Paul

It is usually set in /etc/conf.d/net. You can use
/etc/conf.d/net.example to go by. Just find the one that matches what
you need.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
2011/2/7 Paul Stear <gentoo@appjaws.plus.com>:
> Hi,
> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my
> network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
> system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?
> I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
> I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.
> Paul
> --
> This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo.

While I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than me will pitch in
sooner or later, I'll give my 2 cents.
I only vaguely remember how this works, but IIRC there are HAL rules
(perhaps in /etc/hal/fdi/policy ?) that remebers your old network
cards from the previous motherboard. This gives your new card eth3,
and you don't have an init-script for eth3. I assume you're not going
to switch the MB back, so I suggest you dig around for the files,
backup and remove them. This should re-number your eth3 as eth0, and
allow the normal init-scripts to start your network.

Again, this is _not_ my area of expertise, so if you're unsure, wait
for someone else to reply.
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
Il 07/02/2011 13:00, Paul Stear ha scritto:
> Hi,
> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my
> network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
> system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?
> I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
> I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.
> Paul

Hi.

You can see /etc/conf.d/net

Simple example

config_eth0=( "192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.0.255" )

routes_eth0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )

If you want to "rename" eth3 device in eth0, the easiest way is rebuilt udev

I hope that i have not confused your request

Cheers

--
Agostino Sarubbo ( ago )
Mail: ago@autistici.org
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
On 2/7/2011 8:00 PM, Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my
> network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
> system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?

Disclaimer - I am not an expert, just a learning user.

1. Move /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to a safe place.
2. Restart the machine.

This usually works for me when I have a new motherboard.

P.V.Anthony
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
Am 07.02.2011 13:00, schrieb Paul Stear:
> Hi,
> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my
> network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
> system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?
> I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
> I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.

http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=gentoo+network

;-)

I assume you have to edit/delete the entries in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (new hardware, new
MAC-adresses, old udev-rules ...)

Stefan
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
on 02/07/2011 02:00 PM Paul Stear wrote the following:
> Hi,
> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my
> network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
> system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?
> I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
> I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.
> Paul
Have you made a symlink in /etc/init.d (net.eth3 -> net.lo) ?

Put in /etc/conf.d/net

config_eth3=( "192.168.1.6/24 brd 192.168.1.255" )

Add to runlevel:

rc-update add net.eth3 default
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
Paul Stear writes:

> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble
> with my network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot
> the system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
> up After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?

Your MAC adress has changed, but you still have the old value in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Change this, and on the next boot
it will work again. Or remove the file, but I guess eth3 will be eth0 then,
so you might have to edit /etc/conf.d/net also.

Wonko
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 07 February 2011 12:00:59 Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with
> my network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
> system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?
> I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
> I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Do you have the following file on your system:
/etc/init.d/net.eth3 ?

If not, do the following:

# cd /etc/init.d
# ln -s net.lo net.eth3

That should create the "net.eth3" script for you.

Alternatively, edit the following file:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

This file contains the udev-rules to have each net-device use the same ethX
every time.

--
Joost
Re: eth3 - how to set up? [ In reply to ]
S, Paul Stear piše:
> Hi,
> I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my
> network connection.
> I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
> system:-
>
> ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> After this everything works as it should.
> Where is this setting help?
> I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
> I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.
> Paul
I'm not sure I am teh one to be answering this, but since I had similar
problem many times and no one else seems to be answering, here it is.

Your problem is compounded. Forst part of the problem is that system
remembers seeing your former cards and has now reserved for each card
its ethX number.
Even if cards are not there any more ( and onboard NIC is different)
system keeps hoping that one day you might plug them back and keeps
those names reserved.

udev is userland helper that is responsible for crating logical devices
on the base of kernel messages it receives about present, plugged or
unpluugged devices.

How and which exactly devices it creates is described in its config
files in /etc/udev.d.

File that should inteset you is named XX-persistent-net.rules ( XX in
front are two decimals ).

udev writes and updates it itself with each new card it finds, so that
it knows that card with tg3 driver and MAC address XX:YY:ZZ:WW:TT.BB
should be created as device eth4, for example.

If you don't care how new cards are numbered or if you have only one
card, simply delete it and restart the system.

If you do care, edit it by hand- format is obvious.

Second part of the problem is that you card is not initialized, since it
is not named "eth0", as system expects.

If you did erase aforementioned file, after restart new card will be
shown as eth0, starttup scripts will find it and everything should fall
in its place again...