with the click of the mouse.
Could some kind soul tell me where that button is because I do not seem to have
it on my system settings page in KDE 4.4.1.
Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance of any help
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo.
Re: how to start strigi? [ In reply to ]
Paul Stear posted on Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:16:51 +0000 as excerpted:

> I thought all of my problems were solved, however, I have noticed that
> indexing is not working although I have everything installed. I seem to
> remember some time ago that nepomuk/strigi could be disabled/enabled
> with the click of the mouse.
> Could some kind soul tell me where that button is because I do not seem
> to have it on my system settings page in KDE 4.4.1. Am I missing
> something?

I'm not going to try to help you directly as I don't know, despite my kde
lists involvement as well as using kde on Gentoo myself, but if you don't
get an answer here, try the kde general or kde linux lists. If you wish,
you can use the list2news or list2web interface at gmane.org, where they
are the gmane.comp.kde.general and gmane.comp.kde.linux newsgroups. (I
follow all my lists, kde, gentoo, and pan, all three, as newsgroups on
gmane.)

If you do try the kde lists, pay special attention to posts by Kevin
Krammer, as he's a very helpful kde dev. =:^) I think all us list
regulars appreciate his help and insights into the kde developer side of
things (both code and social) that users just don't normally get a chance
to see or understand.

Re: Re: how to start strigi? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 17 Mar 2010 13:53:26 Duncan wrote:
> Paul Stear posted on Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:16:51 +0000 as excerpted:
> > I thought all of my problems were solved, however, I have noticed that
> > indexing is not working although I have everything installed. I seem to
> > remember some time ago that nepomuk/strigi could be disabled/enabled
> > with the click of the mouse.
> > Could some kind soul tell me where that button is because I do not seem
> > to have it on my system settings page in KDE 4.4.1. Am I missing
> > something?
>
> I'm not going to try to help you directly as I don't know, despite my kde
> lists involvement as well as using kde on Gentoo myself, but if you don't
> get an answer here, try the kde general or kde linux lists. If you wish,
> you can use the list2news or list2web interface at gmane.org, where they
> are the gmane.comp.kde.general and gmane.comp.kde.linux newsgroups. (I
> follow all my lists, kde, gentoo, and pan, all three, as newsgroups on
> gmane.)
>
> If you do try the kde lists, pay special attention to posts by Kevin
> Krammer, as he's a very helpful kde dev. =:^) I think all us list
> regulars appreciate his help and insights into the kde developer side of
> things (both code and social) that users just don't normally get a chance
> to see or understand.
Thanks Duncan, I'll try those lists.
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo.
Re: how to start strigi? [ In reply to ]
On 03/17/10 12:16, Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,
> I thought all of my problems were solved, however, I have noticed that indexing
> is not working although I have everything installed.
> I seem to remember some time ago that nepomuk/strigi could be disabled/enabled
> with the click of the mouse.
> Could some kind soul tell me where that button is because I do not seem to have
> it on my system settings page in KDE 4.4.1.

Don't you have a "Desktop search" in the advanced tab ? (And there you
can enable nepomuk and strigi)
> Am I missing something?

Maybe the semantic-desktop USE flag ?
> Thanks in advance of any help
> Paul

HTH

Cedric
Re: how to start strigi? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 17 Mar 2010 14:53:04 Cédric Godin wrote:
> On 03/17/10 12:16, Paul Stear wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> > I thought all of my problems were solved, however, I have noticed that
> > indexing is not working although I have everything installed.
> > I seem to remember some time ago that nepomuk/strigi could be
> > disabled/enabled with the click of the mouse.
> > Could some kind soul tell me where that button is because I do not seem
> > to have it on my system settings page in KDE 4.4.1.
>
> Don't you have a "Desktop search" in the advanced tab ? (And there you
> can enable nepomuk and strigi)
>
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Maybe the semantic-desktop USE flag ?
>
> > Thanks in advance of any help
> > Paul
>
> HTH
>
> Cedric
Thanks for your message Cedric,
I do not have "Desktop search" in the advanced tab and I do have the semantic-
desktop USE flag enabled.
I think I will need to reinstall all of kde 4.4.1 and start from scratch.
When I try and emerge -avt kde-meta, it only comes up with :-

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kde-meta-4.4.1 USE="nls semantic-desktop -
accessibility (-aqua) (-kdeprefix)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

How do I get all of kde-meta to reinstall?
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo.
Re: how to start strigi? [ In reply to ]
Paul Stear posted on Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:21:30 +0000 as excerpted:

> Thanks for your message Cedric,
> I do not have "Desktop search" in the advanced tab and I do have the
> semantic- desktop USE flag enabled.
> I think I will need to reinstall all of kde 4.4.1 and start from
> scratch. When I try and emerge -avt kde-meta, it only comes up with :-
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] kde-base/kde-meta-4.4.1 USE="nls semantic-desktop -
> accessibility (-aqua) (-kdeprefix)" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
>
> How do I get all of kde-meta to reinstall? Paul

You might wish to try emerge's -N (--newuse) flag as well, along with -D
(--deep). I use these by default, so all updates remerge anything with
new USE flags, and update all the way down the dependency stack.

Note that this will give you more updates to do (so try -p or -a first),
thus it's an option, but it does seem to help keep the bugs away.

Also, either routinely, or every time you have a bug not resolved
elsewise, try running revdep-rebuild, again with the -a or -p first,
especially if you don't run it regularly. FWIW, I run it after every
update, so not so many rebuilds get a chance to build up.

Re: Re: how to start strigi? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your reply Duncan,
After my problems earlier on when I changed gcc and had to re-emerge kdelibs, I
should have re-emerged strigi & nepomuk as well.
I now have the menu item "search" in the advanced settings page.
Paul

--
This message has been sent using kmail on gentoo.