Mailing List Archive

Xorg and usb keyboard/mouse and some screen flickering :(
Hello people,

I own an MSI laptop (GX-700) and today I bought an external monitor (LG
W2443) and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (Trust) for it. However, I'm
having problems with all of them :(

Firstly the keyboard/mouse issue. A few months ago I bought a wireless mouse
(also a Trust one), just plugged it in, started the system and everything
worked nicely. Now, I can't get the new keyboard/mouse combo to work. I'm
sure they're OK, because in the grub menu I can use the new keyboard to
select/edit/etc the boot stuff (i.e. I'm sure BIOS recognises it). However,
I can't seem to get it to work in Xorg... The thing that strikes me the most
is that the "old" mouse worked without a problem. Any hints?

Secondly, the new monitor. I can see constant flickering on it. I'm sure
it's not the monitor's fault since I had similar issues with others as well
- that is to say, I'm quite convinced it has something to do with my graphic
card (nvidia geforce 8600m gt).

I'm pasting the xorg.conf and /etc/make.conf files here as I'm not sure the
mailing list supports attachments.

Any help is welcome,
Marko

XORG.CONF
=========
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (root@moveable-basket) Wed Oct 21 23:07:18
Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page 2009

#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Mouse0"
# #Driver "synaptics"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
# #Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0"
InputDevice "Mouse0"
Option "BackingStore" "True"
# InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"

#Load "dbe"
#Load "dri"
#Load "dri2"
#Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
#Load "record"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from data in "/etc/conf.d/gpm"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Protocol"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

#Driver "kbd"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "evdev"
#Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xrrg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,hr"
#Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "LG W2443"
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8600M GT"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
BusID "PCI:8:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8600M GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1920x1080"
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1920x1080"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

#Section "Extensions"
# Option "Composite" "Enable"
#EndSection

MAKE.CONF
==========
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before
changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by
the
# profile used for building.
#USE="mmx sse sse2"
USE="intel mmx sse sse2 bash-completion cddb cdparanoia cups dvb ffmpeg gd
gnuplot imagemagick jabber jingle lame latex lm_sensors mime msn multilib
ncurses networkmanager nptl nsplugin offensive pcmcia pcre perl plotutils
posix python readline smp sockets subversion suid symlink syslog threads v4l
v4l2 vim-syntax wifi wxwidgets xattr xcomposite xft xine xinetd yahoo -kde
-qt3 -qt4"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel loopback virmidi"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse synaptics"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

MAKEOPTS="-j3"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.imj.fr/pub/gentoo/
ftp://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/
http://mirror.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/
ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org/ "

SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
source /usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf
Re: Xorg and usb keyboard/mouse and some screen flickering :( [ In reply to ]
On 2 March 2010 21:22, Marko Obrovac <marko.obrovac@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> I own an MSI laptop (GX-700) and today I bought an external monitor (LG
> W2443) and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (Trust) for it. However, I'm
> having problems with all of them :(
>
> Firstly the keyboard/mouse issue. A few months ago I bought a wireless
> mouse (also a Trust one), just plugged it in, started the system and
> everything worked nicely. Now, I can't get the new keyboard/mouse combo to
> work. I'm sure they're OK, because in the grub menu I can use the new
> keyboard to select/edit/etc the boot stuff (i.e. I'm sure BIOS recognises
> it). However, I can't seem to get it to work in Xorg... The thing that
> strikes me the most is that the "old" mouse worked without a problem. Any
> hints?

It seems like it's definitely a kernel "issue". I tried to start an
interactive boot, but the kernel didn't respond to the "i" I hit (of course,
hitting it on the laptop keyboard works like a charm). I read thoroughly
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/usb-guide.xml and
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=79, but all usb/hid configuration
was already in place.

> Secondly, the new monitor. I can see constant flickering on it. I'm sure
> it's not the monitor's fault since I had similar issues with others as well
> - that is to say, I'm quite convinced it has something to do with my graphic
> card (nvidia geforce 8600m gt).

As for the flickering, I deducted it's a refresh rate issue. I lowered the
resolution, increased the refresh rate and turned the resolution back to its
maximum and the flickering "disappeared". However, nvidia-settings doesn't
allow me to increase the frequency with the maximum resolution, which
practically means I have to redo the steps mentioned every time I restart
Xorg. Anybody knows how to get around this?

Re: Xorg and usb keyboard/mouse and some screen flickering :( [ In reply to ]
Marko Obrovac
http://www.linkedin.com/in/doorman

On 3 March 2010 14:08, Marko Obrovac <marko.obrovac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 March 2010 21:22, Marko Obrovac <marko.obrovac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello people,
>>
>> I own an MSI laptop (GX-700) and today I bought an external monitor (LG
>> W2443) and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (Trust) for it. However, I'm
>> having problems with all of them :(
>>
>> Firstly the keyboard/mouse issue. A few months ago I bought a wireless
>> mouse (also a Trust one), just plugged it in, started the system and
>> everything worked nicely. Now, I can't get the new keyboard/mouse combo to
>> work. I'm sure they're OK, because in the grub menu I can use the new
>> keyboard to select/edit/etc the boot stuff (i.e. I'm sure BIOS recognises
>> it). However, I can't seem to get it to work in Xorg... The thing that
>> strikes me the most is that the "old" mouse worked without a problem. Any
>> hints?
>>

> It seems like it's definitely a kernel "issue". I tried to start an
> interactive boot, but the kernel didn't respond to the "i" I hit (of course,
> hitting it on the laptop keyboard works like a charm). I read thoroughly
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/usb-guide.xml and
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=79, but all usb/hid configuration
> was already in place.

Finally I solved it :) I suspected something was wrong with the usbhid
module. So, out of curiosity, I booted up a live cd just to see whether its
kernel will properly initialise the combo. Of course, it did :) The rest was
easy - I found out the kernel had registered the combo as "Sunplus Wireless
Desktop" (and not Trust), so a quick look at the .config file revealed I
should enable sunplus hid support.

>> Secondly, the new monitor. I can see constant flickering on it. I'm sure
>> it's not the monitor's fault since I had similar issues with others as well
>> - that is to say, I'm quite convinced it has something to do with my graphic
>> card (nvidia geforce 8600m gt).
>>

> As for the flickering, I deducted it's a refresh rate issue. I lowered the
> resolution, increased the refresh rate and turned the resolution back to its
> maximum and the flickering "disappeared". However, nvidia-settings doesn't
> allow me to increase the frequency with the maximum resolution, which
> practically means I have to redo the steps mentioned every time I restart
> Xorg. Anybody knows how to get around this?

No luck on this point yet. But now that I can organise my desk I'll look
into it