error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xdm error (pid 5496): fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
xdm error (pid 4814): Server crash rate too high: removing display :0
error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

Thanks for any help,
Jim
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Jim Seymour <in2birds@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About three weeks ago my kde desktop started to get distorted and slow reacting. I decided to go ahead and reboot the computer. That was the last time I have been logged in graphically. I have since removed KDE and the nvidia-drivers and am now just trying to get it working with the nv drivers and xdm/twm. I do get a log in screen, however upon trying to log in the screen goes blank and eventually comes back to the login screen. Since I seem to be the only one having this issue, I assume I missed an important entry in the elog. I have the modeline (no X at all without a xorg.conf) set to the parameters parsed by the video driver. I am using evdev for the keyboard and mouse (they work fine). I have googled and searched the mail archives to see if anyone else has had the same issue recently and how it was resolved. For the past three weeks I have come up empty. There are no EE entries in the Xorg.0.log at this point. I am running the stable version amd64
>  that is completely up to date package wise. The hardware does not seem to be the issue as a gentoo live dvd works perfectly. Any ideas on how I can get this working again? The only worthwhile errors I can find is in the xdm.log are below. This is with a clean xdm.log, reboot, login attempt and then killing X with ctrl_alt_bkspc.
>
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
> xdm error (pid 5477): fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> xdm error (pid 5496): fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
> xdm error (pid 4814): Server crash rate too high: removing display :0
> error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jim

Weird report.

You might try booting with DRM debugging turned on and looking at
dmesg to see what's going on. I presume that you have a second machine
that you can shell in on.

To turn on debug in grub.conf do something like this, of course
dropping the modeset part if you don't need it:

title 2.6.32-gentoo-r2 MS=1, DRM=0x06
root (hd0,6)
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/bzImage-2.6.32-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/sda2
i915.modeset=1 drm.debug=0x06

This will create a lot of output in dmesg so you may not want to run
with it long term, but it's helped me find a few things over the last
couple of weeks.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
Jim Seymour, mused, then expounded:

> that is completely up to date package wise. The hardware does not seem to be the issue as a gentoo live dvd works perfectly. Any ideas on how I can get this working again? The only worthwhile errors I can find is in the xdm.log are below. This is with a clean xdm.log, reboot, login attempt and then killing X with ctrl_alt_bkspc.

Sometimes it takes just rebuilding the device drivers, which can be
found by the gine in the xorg-server ebuild -

emerge portage-utils; qlist -I -C x11-drivers/

Take that output and emerge the drivers.

Bob
--
-
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Bob Sanders <rsanders@sgi.com> wrote:
> Jim Seymour, mused, then expounded:
>>
>>  that is completely up to date package wise. The hardware does not seem to be the issue as a gentoo live dvd works perfectly. Any ideas on how I can get this working again? The only worthwhile errors I can find is in the xdm.log are below. This is with a clean xdm.log, reboot, login attempt and then killing X with ctrl_alt_bkspc.
>>

> Sometimes it takes just rebuilding the device drivers, which can be
> found by the gine in the xorg-server ebuild -
>
>   emerge portage-utils; qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
>
> Take that output and emerge the drivers.
>
> Bob

I second this suggestion.

There was an update to xorg a few months ago that required a rebuild
of the drivers, but did not force it. What happened when I did that
upgrade was that I would get the graphical login screen, but the mouse
and keyboard did not work. Rebuilding the drivers fixed it for me.

Andrew
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
Jim Seymour posted on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 06:46:15 -0800 as excerpted:

> About three weeks ago my kde desktop started to get distorted and slow
> reacting. I decided to go ahead and reboot the computer. That was the
> last time I have been logged in graphically. I have since removed KDE
> and the nvidia-drivers and am now just trying to get it working with the
> nv drivers and xdm/twm. I do get a log in screen, however upon trying to
> log in the screen goes blank and eventually comes back to the login
> screen. Since I seem to be the only one having this issue, I assume I
> missed an important entry in the elog. I have the modeline (no X at all
> without a xorg.conf) set to the parameters parsed by the video driver. I
> am using evdev for the keyboard and mouse (they work fine). I have
> googled and searched the mail archives

Some observations...

1) Since you get the login screen, X has to be working. Presumably,
that's with full root permissions.

2) When you try to login, screen blanks and eventually returns to the ?DM
login screen. Of course, in the process of logging in as your user and
getting a kde or twm session, you'll switch to user privs for some
things. That this doesn't work but the login screen as root does, hints
at a permission issue, or an issue setting up the user "magic cookies"
that allow an ordinary user to access the xorg server running as root.

3) That begs the question [1], what happens if you create a fresh user and
try to login as them, and/or if you try logging in as root? (Yes, I don't
recommend it for normal usage either, but for testing... disconnect from
the net if you're paranoid, backup your /root so you can restore it to pre-
X-login condition afterward, and try the root thing.) If a new/clean user
works, then you know it's something in the user config. If it doesn't but
root works, you know it's a permissions issue of some sort.

4) Due to ?DM breaking on me years ago on Mandrake, I quit using ?DM
graphical logins then, and have never gone back, choosing instead to login
at the text console and startx as my preferred user. You mention nothing
about even trying that. Does /that/ work and you simply prefer the
graphical login, does that not work either, or were you unaware of the
option?

Obviously if it works you have a workaround. At least that way you can
run your graphical environment of choice, even if you don't like the login
method. Plus, the results of this test should help someone a bit more
skilled in ?DM technologies than I am (as I said I quit DMs long ago)
figure out what's going on.

---
[1] Literal/descriptive usage: Greek or Latin logical fallacies aside,
the intent here is the literal meaning of the English words: The lead-up
now begs that the question be asked.

Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Jim Seymour <in2birds@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About three weeks ago my kde desktop started to get distorted and slow reacting. I decided to go ahead and reboot the computer. That was the last time I have been logged in graphically. I have since removed KDE and the nvidia-drivers and am now just trying to get it working with the nv drivers and xdm/twm. I do get a log in screen, however upon trying to log in the screen goes blank and eventually comes back to the login screen. Since I seem to be the only one having this issue, I assume I missed an important entry in the elog. I have the modeline (no X at all without a xorg.conf) set to the parameters parsed by the video driver. I am using evdev for the keyboard and mouse (they work fine). I have googled and searched the mail archives to see if anyone else has had the same issue recently and how it was resolved. For the past three weeks I have come up empty. There are no EE entries in the Xorg.0.log at this point. I am running the stable version amd64
>  that is completely up to date package wise. The hardware does not seem to be the issue as a gentoo live dvd works perfectly. Any ideas on how I can get this working again? The only worthwhile errors I can find is in the xdm.log are below. This is with a clean xdm.log, reboot, login attempt and then killing X with ctrl_alt_bkspc.
>
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
> xdm error (pid 5477): fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> xdm error (pid 5496): fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
> xdm error (pid 4814): Server crash rate too high: removing display :0
> error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jim

As a very curious and probably unrelated report I did updates on my
wife's machine last night. I did not reboot or restart X when I Was
done. When she turned it on this morning X didn't work for her.
Curiously it's the only nvidia machine here.

In her case gdm was not starting so it's likely not the same thing you
are seeing, but I got some messages that the nvidia driver was not
matching the kernel. The kernel wanted 185 something, the new emerge
had installed 190 something.

I masked everything above what's in portage right now for 185 + a
little and reemerged the drivers and it started working again.

- Mark
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Thanks for the ideas so far. I had already tried startx and that fails and comes back to the command prompt. I have tried the re-emerging of the drivers and even gone as far as running ldd against X and another package I forgot the name of and re-emerged the packages that contained the files that it it linked against as well as re-emerging those packages. I too had run into the nvidia and kernel headers issue when I tried to downgrade the nvidia driver. That was the real reason I dropped back to the nv driver while I was sorting this out, I have all of the right pieces together to run the nvidia driver but want to keep that out if the mix for right now.

I have not tried the debugging setting or the new user. Off to try those now.

Thanks to all,

Jim
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
Jim Seymour schrieb:
> Hi,

Hi,

maybe not helpful, but doesn't hurt either: use df to see if theres
still free space on your partitions. I remember having problems starting
a windowmanager when theres no space available.

> Thanks to all,
>
> Jim

cu
Dieter

--
3rd Law of Computing:
Anything that can go wr
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
and you checked ALL permissions of ALL files (inclusive root dir) of /tmp and
/var/tmp
?
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

Problem has been resolved, however I am not positive what worked. As the situation was, I could not log in graphically with any user, root included. I had recompiled all x11 drivers as well as the kernel and every package I found /usr/bin/X linked against, recompiled hal, etc. All this and no fatal errors in the Xorg.0.log :-( On this final try I rechecked the config files for xdm, Xsession, xorg.conf and a few others and made a few tiny changes. I also went ahead and recompiled the x11-drivers again and one I had not recompiled prior to now ..... mesa. The problem was definately with one of the programs that was recompiled, however I can only suspect which one. Many thanks to all the suggestions. I did learn a couple of new tricks out of this. Now to get KDE reinstalled and go back to the nvidia driver.

Thanks again,

Jim
Re: Lost ability to log in graphically [ In reply to ]
Jim Seymour posted on Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:46:28 -0800 as excerpted:

> The problem was definately with one of the programs that was
> recompiled, however I can only suspect which one. Many thanks to
> all the suggestions. I did learn a couple of new tricks out of
> this. Now to get KDE reinstalled and go back to the nvidia driver.

Glad you got it working again. Thanks for the fix report. =:^)