Mailing List Archive

OpenSSL problem: is mod_ssl also vulnerable?
Re: OpenSSL problem: is mod_ssl also vulnerable? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:50:31AM +0200, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> does anyone know whether mod_ssl (used with Apache 1.3) is also
> vulnerable. Currently, last version seen on their webpage is 2.8.10
> (24 June 2002).

Yes, the OpenSSL vulnerability can be triggered through mod_ssl.

But you don't need a new mod_ssl version to be safe against it. Only bring
OpenSSL up to date, and your mod_ssl module will be safe.

--
__ /*- Frank DENIS (Jedi/Sector One) <j@42-Networks.Com> -*\ __
\ '/ <a href="http://www.PureFTPd.Org/"> Secure FTP Server </a> \' /
Re: OpenSSL problem: is mod_ssl also vulnerable? [ In reply to ]
On 31 Jul 2002 at 09:13 +0200, Jedi/Sector One wrote:
> But you don't need a new mod_ssl version to be safe against it.
> Only bring OpenSSL up to date, and your mod_ssl module will be
> safe.

...if it is linked dynamically. Make sure.

--
MfG/best regards, helmut springer delta@citecs.de
Re: OpenSSL problem: is mod_ssl also vulnerable? [ In reply to ]
Am Mittwoch, 31. Juli 2002 09:13 schrieb Jedi/Sector One:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:50:31AM +0200, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> > does anyone know whether mod_ssl (used with Apache 1.3) is also
> > vulnerable. Currently, last version seen on their webpage is 2.8.10
> > (24 June 2002).
>
> Yes, the OpenSSL vulnerability can be triggered through mod_ssl.
>
> But you don't need a new mod_ssl version to be safe against it. Only
> bring OpenSSL up to date, and your mod_ssl module will be safe.

And what about apache-2.0.39 with SSL enabled?
Nothing on apache.org so far.
apache-2.0.x includes code from the mod_ssl project I guess, right?

Greetings, t.o.
--
Thomas Oppel
thomas.oppel@arenfels.de
Re: OpenSSL problem: is mod_ssl also vulnerable? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Thomas Oppel wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 31. Juli 2002 09:13 schrieb Jedi/Sector One:
> > On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:50:31AM +0200, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> > > does anyone know whether mod_ssl (used with Apache 1.3) is also
> > > vulnerable. Currently, last version seen on their webpage is 2.8.10
> > > (24 June 2002).
> >
> > Yes, the OpenSSL vulnerability can be triggered through mod_ssl.
> >
> > But you don't need a new mod_ssl version to be safe against it. Only
> > bring OpenSSL up to date, and your mod_ssl module will be safe.
>
> And what about apache-2.0.39 with SSL enabled?
> Nothing on apache.org so far.
> apache-2.0.x includes code from the mod_ssl project I guess, right?

The key to the openssl issue is the same here, get fixed openssl sources,
and recompile with them as the reference bases just as with mod-ssl
appache 1.3.x.

Now for those with less then trust worthy local users <smile>, and relying
upon apache 1.3.x/mod-ssl/libmm compiles, there is the additional question
of whther there is a new mm package available.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.
Re: OpenSSL problem: is mod_ssl also vulnerable? [ In reply to ]
And since I made this request for info on another list, relating to libmm
sources, here is the answer:

yes, there is a new version of mm available on
http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/mm/

The advisory is here:
http://www.openpkg.org/security/OpenPKG-SA-2002.007-mm.html

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: OpenSSL problem: is mod_ssl also vulnerable? [ In reply to ]

> The key to the openssl issue is the same here, get fixed openssl sources,
> and recompile with them as the reference bases just as with mod-ssl
> appache 1.3.x.
>
> Now for those with less then trust worthy local users <smile>, and relying
> upon apache 1.3.x/mod-ssl/libmm compiles, there is the additional question
> of whther there is a new mm package available.

There is: Ralf Engelschall has published a new version. See

Homepage: http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/mm/
Release: ftp://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/mm/mm-1.2.0.tar.gz
Patch: ftp://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/mm/mm-1.1.3-sec.patch

Again, same procedure as with mod_ssl/openssl: As long as your apache
module (/usr/lib/apache/libssl.so) is linked dynamically against the
openssl libraries and as long as your apache daemon (/usr/sbin/httpd) is
linked dynamically against libmm, you can simply update the respective
package that contains the library and restart the webserver, it should run
fine.

If you upgrade the version of one or more of the packages, you will have
to recompile.

> Thanks,
> Ron DuFresne

Thanks,
Roman.
--
- -
| Roman Drahtmüller <draht@suse.de> // "You don't need eyes to see, |
Re: OpenSSL problem: what about apache2 binaries? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

--On Mittwoch, 31. Juli 2002 08:50 +0200 Peter Bieringer <pb@bieringer.de>
wrote:

> sorry, no announcement, but a (perhaps important) question:
>
> does anyone know whether mod_ssl (used with Apache 1.3) is also
> vulnerable. Currently, last version seen on their webpage is 2.8.10
> (24 June 2002).

Next question: what about the apache2 binaries (especially for Windows)?

Apache2 has built-in SSL capability, I think (but not tested) also in the
Windows binary. If yes, which SSL code is used here?

Latest available is 2.0.39 from 18-Jun-2002
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/

Thank you very much for more information,

Peter
Re: OpenSSL problem: what about apache2 binaries? [ In reply to ]