mailto:patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at
Tel.: +43 (1) 534 52 - 1573
Fax: +43 (1) 534 52 - 146
Re: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Szabo, Patrick (LNG-VIE)
<patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to move our forrest installation to a different hardware. Since i
> didn't install and configure it myself i'm wondering how to do that.
>
> Is it possible to just copy the directories, set the Enviroment Variables?!
>
> Would that work ?! If not...why not ?!

Hi Patrick,
Assuming you have Java installed on the new machine, simply copying
everything (Forrest + Your Project) should work just fine. Good luck!

--tim
Re: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Tim Williams wrote:
> Szabo, Patrick wrote:
> >
> > I have to move our forrest installation to a different hardware. Since i
> > didn't install and configure it myself i'm wondering how to do that.
> >
> > Is it possible to just copy the directories, set the Enviroment Variables?!
> >
> > Would that work ?! If not...why not ?!
>
> Hi Patrick,
> Assuming you have Java installed on the new machine, simply copying
> everything (Forrest + Your Project) should work just fine. Good luck!

Patrick, the configuration should not have any system-specific
settings, so it should be okay.

I was wondering about the "cache". I expect that it too should
be portable. If you do see issues then do 'forrest clean'
in each of your projects.

-David
AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Thank you for all of your answers !

The move is sheduled for Thursday so i might be able to tell you if it workes then.
Anothers thing i was wondering in which directory do i have to be to run
'forrest commands' or is that an "systemwide" command once i set the variables ?!

I did not maintain the server so i've never done that before.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patrick Szabo
XSLT-Entwickler
LexisNexis
Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien

Re: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Szabo, Patrick (LNG-VIE)
<patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at> wrote:
> Thank you for all of your answers !
>
> The move is sheduled for Thursday so i might be able to tell you if it workes then.
> Anothers thing i was wondering in which directory do i have to be to run
> 'forrest commands' or is that an "systemwide" command once i set the variables ?!

After you set up your environment[1], the forrest command will be on
your "path" - allowing you to run it from anywhere. Generally, you'd
run it from a project directory or a directory where you want a
project created.

--tim

[1] - http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/your-project.html#Setting+up+the+Environment
Re: AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Most set FORREST_HOME to the apache Forrest root and then include FORREST_HOME/bin on the path. As such, it would then be system wide.

Most of this is RTFM at http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/your-project.html#Setting+up+the+Environment.

Best of luck and enjoy Forrest!

AW: AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Today was the day.
We copied all the files (install folder and project folder) und set the variables.
Unfortunately it's not working.

We did the following:

We copied apache-forrest and workflow-dok (that's our project) to C:\forrest\.
We set the Variables to:

FORREST_HOME = C:\forrest\apache-forrest\
Path = ...;%FORREST_HOME%\bin

We did a restart and the variables are set properly.
If we enter 'forrest run' it says that it does not recognize forrest as a command.

We've also tried to run the forrest.bat directly with 'forrest.bat run'.
It starts running but the build fails with an error that it can't find a documentation folder in C:\forrest\apache-forrest\. That's weird because our project-folder is C:\forrest\workflow-dok anyway.

What are we doing wrong ?!

PS: I can't take a look at the configuration of our old server since it is not located in the same building (or country) and i have no remote-acced.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patrick Szabo
XSLT-Entwickler
LexisNexis
Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien

mailto:patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at
Tel.: +43 (1) 534 52 - 1573
Fax: +43 (1) 534 52 - 146

Most set FORREST_HOME to the apache Forrest root and then include FORREST_HOME/bin on the path. As such, it would then be system wide.

Most of this is RTFM at http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/your-project.html#Setting+up+the+Environment.

Best of luck and enjoy Forrest!

On Dec 15, 2010, at 0:54, "Szabo, Patrick \(LNG-VIE\)" <patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at> wrote:

> Thank you for all of your answers !
>
> The move is sheduled for Thursday so i might be able to tell you if it workes then.
> Anothers thing i was wondering in which directory do i have to be to run
> 'forrest commands' or is that an "systemwide" command once i set the variables ?!
>
> I did not maintain the server so i've never done that before.
>

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Patrick Szabo
> XSLT-Entwickler
> LexisNexis
> Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien
>
> mailto:patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at
> Tel.: +43 (1) 534 52 - 1573
> Fax: +43 (1) 534 52 - 146

That seems to be a PATH setting issue and has nothing to do with forrest itself.

> We've also tried to run the forrest.bat directly with 'forrest.bat run'.
> It starts running but the build fails with an error that it can't find a
> documentation folder in C:\forrest\apache-forrest\. That's weird because our
> project-folder is C:\forrest\workflow-dok anyway.
>
> What are we doing wrong ?!
cd to your project-folder (the folder taht contains the forrest.properties file) and run forrest again

That should do the trick.

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler
> We copied all the files (install folder and project folder) und set the
> variables.
> Unfortunately it's not working.
>
> We did the following:
>
> We copied apache-forrest and workflow-dok (that's our project) to
> C:\forrest\.
> We set the Variables to:
>
> FORREST_HOME = C:\forrest\apache-forrest\
> Path = ...;%FORREST_HOME%\bin
>
> We did a restart and the variables are set properly.
> If we enter 'forrest run' it says that it does not recognize forrest as
> a command.

Does not sound like the variables are set properly.

Please open a cmd window and paste the output of

echo %FORREST_HOME%

echo %PATH%

> We've also tried to run the forrest.bat directly with 'forrest.bat
> run'.
> It starts running but the build fails with an error that it can't find
> a documentation folder in C:\forrest\apache-forrest\. That's weird
> because our project-folder is C:\forrest\workflow-dok anyway.

Because you need to run the command from the project directory which
you can't do without the 'forrest' command working.

Gav...

AW: AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Thanks you for your really fast response.
I've also noticed that it says that JAVA_HOME is not set but it is :-(

Here is what those echos are giving me.

Echo %JAVA_HOME%: C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_03\bin
Echo %FORREST_HOME%: C:\forrest\apache-forrest
Echo %PATH%: C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;%FORREST_HOME%\bin

Seems right to me...

Kind regards

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patrick Szabo
XSLT-Entwickler
LexisNexis
Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien

Re: AW: AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
On Dec 16, 2010, at 6:19, "Szabo, Patrick \(LNG-VIE\)" <patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at> wrote:

> Thanks you for your really fast response.
> I've also noticed that it says that JAVA_HOME is not set but it is :-(
>
> Here is what those echos are giving me.
>
> Echo %JAVA_HOME%: C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_03\bin
> Echo %FORREST_HOME%: C:\forrest\apache-forrest
> Echo %PATH%: C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;%FORREST_HOME%\bin

I do not see Java on the path... That is why you get the error java not found. Put java on the path.

Your %FORREST_HOME% did not expand .. I am more of a Mac person, but I would have expected to see C:\forrest\apache-forrest instead. Try hard coding that..

> Seems right to me...
>
> Kind regards
>

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Patrick Szabo
> XSLT-Entwickler
> LexisNexis
> Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien
>
> mailto:patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at
> Tel.: +43 (1) 534 52 - 1573
> Fax: +43 (1) 534 52 - 146

Yeah, looks right.

what happens when you:

cd %FORREST_HOME/main

build

..

Also try setting the variables manually in the cmd window directly:

set FORREST_HOME=C:\forrest\apache-forrest
set PATH=%PATH%;%FORREST_HOME\bin

(those should stay set until the cmd windows is closed again)

then run

forrest -projectHelp

> Kind regards
>

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Patrick Szabo
> XSLT-Entwickler
> LexisNexis
> Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien
>
> mailto:patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at
> Tel.: +43 (1) 534 52 - 1573
> Fax: +43 (1) 534 52 - 146

Right, was just going to post the same. That should cure it.

Gav...

AW: AW: AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Okay, it already looks a little bit better - i can do 'forrest run now'

If i do so he sill warns me that JAVA_HOME isn't set and the build fails with:

BUILD FAILED
C:\forrest\apache-forrest\main\forrest.build.xml:434: Java returned: 1

echo %PATH%: C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\forrest\apache-forrest\bin;C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_03\bin

any suggestions ?!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patrick Szabo
XSLT-Entwickler
LexisNexis
Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien

Re: AW: AW: AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Is the java_home correct on the path.. C:\Programme

Michael L. Conneen
Information Integrators, inc.
219.201.6192

On Dec 16, 2010, at 8:45, "Szabo, Patrick \(LNG-VIE\)" <patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at> wrote:

> Okay, it already looks a little bit better - i can do 'forrest run now'
>
> If i do so he sill warns me that JAVA_HOME isn't set and the build fails with:

> Could not reserve enough space for object heap
> Could not create the Java virtual machine.
>
> BUILD FAILED
> C:\forrest\apache-forrest\main\forrest.build.xml:434: Java returned: 1
>
> echo %PATH%: C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\forrest\apache-forrest\bin;C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_03\bin
>
> any suggestions ?!
>

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Patrick Szabo
> XSLT-Entwickler
> LexisNexis
> Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien
>
> mailto:patrick.szabo@lexisnexis.at
> Tel.: +43 (1) 534 52 - 1573
> Fax: +43 (1) 534 52 - 146

I would remove \bin from the JAVA_HOME path.

then, any changes you make you need to close any open 'cmd' windows and open
a new one, so do that and test by

java --version

Gav...

AW: AW: AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Okay no JAVA_HOME warning anymore, i removed the \bin.
Now jetty seems to start but there are some Java exceptions:

08:24:07.805 EVENT Checking Resource aliases
08:24:08.696 EVENT Starting Jetty/4.2.19
08:24:08.774 EVENT Started WebApplicationContext[/,Apache Forrest]
08:24:09.462 EVENT Started SocketListener on 0.0.0.0:8888
08:24:09.462 WARN!!
org.mortbay.util.MultiException[java.lang.NullPointerException]
at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:640)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.main(Server.java:429)
[0]=java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.multipart.RequestFactory.<init>(RequestFact
ory.java:61)
at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:456)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.start(ServletHolder.java:220)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initializeServlets(ServletHa
ndler.java:445)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.initializeServlets(We
bApplicationHandler.java:150)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.start(WebApplicationC
ontext.java:458)
at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:663)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.main(Server.java:429)

Does anyone know what this means ?!

Thanks in advance and kind regards

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patrick Szabo
XSLT-Entwickler
LexisNexis
Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien

Re: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Patrick, i do not know what that Jetty problem is yet.

Would you please try this:

Create a new directory anywhere, and then cd to it, i.e.
] mkdir test
] cd test
] forrest seed-sample
] forrest run

Then with your web browser go to:
localhost:8888

That will run the test sample site to ensure that
all is well with your Forrest setup.

-David
AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
David,

I can't do forrest seed-sample because such a target does not seem to exist.
So i did forrest seed instead und then forrest run.

I get the same Exceptions:

08:46:51.760 EVENT Checking Resource aliases
08:46:52.041 EVENT Starting Jetty/4.2.19
08:46:52.150 EVENT Started WebApplicationContext[/,Apache Forrest]
08:46:52.697 EVENT Started SocketListener on 0.0.0.0:8888
08:46:52.713 WARN!!
[...]

Any further suggestions !?

Kind regards

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patrick Szabo
XSLT-Entwickler
LexisNexis
Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien

AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Maybe i should say that i'm using version 7 because my existing project was running with that version...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patrick Szabo
XSLT-Entwickler
LexisNexis
Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien

Re: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Szabo, Patrick (LNG-VIE) wrote:
> Maybe i should say that i'm using version 7 because my existing project was running with that version...

That explains why the 'forrest seed-sample' is not available
but 'forrest seed' is exactly the same thing.

Using the old Forrest-0.7 should be okay.

Would you please do the following. Not sure of the syntax for
Windows but you see what i mean. We are cleaning and re-building Forrest.

] cd $FORREST_HOME/main
] build clean
] build

Then try the 'forrest run' again in that test seed site.

-David
AW: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
David,

Thank you for your help.
I did not follow your last instructions because it seems to work now.
I got no clue why but it does ;-)

So thank you guys for your support !

Have a great weekend !

Kind regards

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Patrick Szabo
XSLT-Entwickler
LexisNexis
Marxergasse 25, 1030 Wien

Re: moving to different hardware [ In reply to ]
Szabo, Patrick (LNG-VIE) wrote:

> Thank you for your help.
> I did not follow your last instructions because it seems to work now.
> I got no clue why but it does ;-)
>
> So thank you guys for your support !
>
> Have a great weekend !

Thanks. That is strange. But good.