Mailing List Archive

Apache Forrest and MySQL
Hi,

I'm an Apache Forrest newbie. I'm trying to setup forrest so I can perform
queries against a MySQL database. I have searched for a "how-to", found
various bits and pieces, but nothing seems to work.

I am running Apache Forrest 0.9-dev on Ubuntu 8.10. I read:

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/MySQL http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/MySQL

and

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/datasources.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/datasources.html .

I attempted to apply what I read from the above links to my Apache Forrest
install. These are the steps I performed:

1. Installed JDBC driver: sudo apt-get install libmysql-java.
2. Copied the JDBC driver to the lib directory: cp
/usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java-5.1.6.jar $FORREST_HOME/lib/ (I do not
have a $COCOON_LIB/WEB-INF/lib directory as mentioned in the Cocoon Wiki
doc).
3. Modified my $FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml file as follows:

<init-param>
<param-name>load-class</param-name>
<param-value>
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
</param-value>
</init-param>

4. Created a MySQL user for testing purposes.
5. Added the following to $FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf:

<datasources>
<jdbc name="TestConnectionPool">
<pool-controller min="5" max="10"/>
<dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test?autoReconnect=true</dburl>
<user>TestUser</user>
<password>TestPassword</password>
</jdbc>
</datasources>

From here I saved everything and tried to run forrest to build the included
forrest seed example. I get this error:

cocoon 2.1.12-dev
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.

Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Could not
load class
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.ResourceLimitingJdbcDataSource for
component named 'TestConnectionPool' at
file:/home/syd/kcdocs/forrest/main/webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf:1070:37
at
org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.configure(ExtendedComponentSelector.java:236)
at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(ContainerUtil.java:201)
at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:289)
at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:108)
at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.initialize(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:524)
at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.initialize(CocoonComponentManager.java:583)
at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:244)
at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Cocoon.java:345)
at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:244)
at org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonWrapper.initialize(CocoonWrapper.java:177)
at org.apache.cocoon.bean.CocoonBean.initialize(CocoonBean.java:102)
at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:320)
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.ResourceLimitingJdbcDataSource
at
org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.configure(ExtendedComponentSelector.java:228)
... 11 more

Do I need to install an "excalibur" package of some sort? I tried to install
some Java connection pooling libraries, but this did not solve my problem.

Is there a simple easy to follow "how-to" somewhere? Any help would be
really appreciated.

Thanks,
Syd

Re: Apache Forrest and MySQL [ In reply to ]
syddel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm an Apache Forrest newbie. I'm trying to setup forrest so I can perform
> queries against a MySQL database. I have searched for a "how-to", found
> various bits and pieces, but nothing seems to work.

Sorry that no-one answered.

There is the Forrest Plugin "org.apache.forrest.plugin.Database".
I have not used it and am not sure of its status.

However that is in the "whiteboard" and you are using the in-development
version of Forrest, so it needs to be discussed on the "dev"
mail list. Your assistance there would be appreciated.

-David