doesn't do the trick.

Regards,
Ferdinand Soethe
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Ferdinand Soethe <mail@soethe.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have instuctions or tips for running Forrest under Leopard
> on a MacBook.
> I tried opening the terminal and running the forrest.sh but that
> doesn't do the trick.
>

> Regards,
> Ferdinand Soethe

What is result of "running" it? what error do you get? I have had no
problems so far with Leopard - shouldn't make a difference, but mine
is an iMac not a macbook. I don't recall having to do anything
special but can have a look when i get home this evening.

--tim
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]

I run it on 10.4 with no issues. Have yet to upgrade to 10.5.

Here is what I do..

- - installed forrest and set up my profile path
:which forrest
/Users/mconneen/apache-forrest-0.7/bin/forrest

- - open terminal window
- - cd to the directory that I want to run forrest from
- - type the command ... forrest run

then I see something like the following

:forrest run
Apache Forrest. Run 'forrest -projecthelp' to list options

Buildfile: /Users/mconneen/apache-forrest-0.7/main/forrest.build.xml

check-java-version:
This is apache-forrest-0.7
Using Java 1.5 from /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
Versions/1.5.0/Home

init-props:

echo-settings:

check-skin:

init-proxy:

fetch-skins-descriptors:

fetch-skin:

unpack-skins:

init-skins:

init-plugins:
Copying 1 file to /Users/mconneen/cvsmlc/mconneen/build/tmp
Copying 1 file to /Users/mconneen/cvsmlc/mconneen/build/tmp
Copying 1 file to /Users/mconneen/cvsmlc/mconneen/build/tmp
Copying 1 file to /Users/mconneen/cvsmlc/mconneen/build/tmp
Installing plugin: org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf

check-plugin:
org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf is available in the build dir

init-props:

echo-settings:

init-proxy:

fetch-plugins-descriptors:

fetch-plugin:

unpack-plugin:

install-plugin:

configure-plugin:

configure-output-plugin:
Mounting output plugin: org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf
Processing /Users/mconneen/cvsmlc/mconneen/build/tmp/output.xmap to /
Users/mconneen/cvsmlc/mconneen/build/tmp/output.xmap.new
pluginMountSnippet.xsl
Moving 1 files to /Users/mconneen/cvsmlc/mconneen/build/tmp

init:

run_custom_jetty:

run_default_jetty:

Note: Use Ctrl-C to stop the Jetty server

07:56:48.915 EVENT Checking Resource aliases
07:56:49.532 EVENT Starting Jetty/4.2.19
07:56:49.641 EVENT Started WebApplicationContext[/,Apache Forrest]
Lazy mode: false
Cannot find CatalogManager.properties
07:56:50.936 EVENT Started SocketListener on 0.0.0.0:8889
07:56:50.936 EVENT Started org.mortbay.jetty.Server@ab323

Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Here is what I tried:

bash-3.2$ pwd
/Applications/forrest/head
bash-3.2$ export FORREST_HOME=`pwd`
bash-3.2$ echo $FORREST_HOME
/Applications/forrest/head
bash-3.2$ export PATH=$PATH:$FORREST_HOME/bin
bash-3.2$ echo $PATH
:/bin:/Applications/forrest/head/bin
bash-3.2$ cd site-author/
bash-3.2$ forrest run
bash: /Applications/forrest/head/bin/forrest: /bin/sh^M: bad
interpreter: No such file or directory
bash-3.2$

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,
Ferdinand Soethe
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:24 +0100, Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Here is what I tried:
>
> bash-3.2$ pwd
> /Applications/forrest/head
> bash-3.2$ export FORREST_HOME=`pwd`
> bash-3.2$ echo $FORREST_HOME
> /Applications/forrest/head
> bash-3.2$ export PATH=$PATH:$FORREST_HOME/bin
> bash-3.2$ echo $PATH
> :/bin:/Applications/forrest/head/bin
> bash-3.2$ cd site-author/
> bash-3.2$ forrest run
> bash: /Applications/forrest/head/bin/forrest: /bin/sh^M: bad
> interpreter: No such file or directory

shell is not installed in the location /bin/sh

find sh and make a symlink to /bin/sh.

salu2

--
Thorsten Scherler thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java consulting, training and solutions
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Thorsten Scherler schrieb:

> shell is not installed in the location /bin/sh
> find sh and make a symlink to /bin/sh.

Strange. There is a file
named sh in /bin and when I execute it
I get a new sh-prompt.

To me that means that there is a shell in the right
directory, no?

Regards,
Ferdinand Soethe
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Ferdinand Soethe <ferdinand@apache.org> wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
>

> > shell is not installed in the location /bin/sh
> > find sh and make a symlink to /bin/sh.
>
> Strange. There is a file
> named sh in /bin and when I execute it
> I get a new sh-prompt.
>
> To me that means that there is a shell in the right
> directory, no?
>
> Regards,
> Ferdinand Soethe

I notice your error had ^M on it. Maybe we've got a whitespace issue?
Maybe try dos2unix run.sh and see if it helps? Just a guess...
--tim
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Ferdinand Soethe <ferdinand@apache.org> wrote:
> > Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> >

> > > shell is not installed in the location /bin/sh
> > > find sh and make a symlink to /bin/sh.
> >
> > Strange. There is a file
> > named sh in /bin and when I execute it
> > I get a new sh-prompt.
> >
> > To me that means that there is a shell in the right
> > directory, no?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ferdinand Soethe
>
> I notice your error had ^M on it. Maybe we've got a whitespace issue?
> Maybe try dos2unix run.sh and see if it helps? Just a guess...
> --tim

not run.sh obviously.
--tim
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Ferdinand Soethe <ferdinand@apache.org> wrote:

> bash: /Applications/forrest/head/bin/forrest: /bin/sh^M: bad
> ^^^^

I have no dir with *head*.
I have forrest in ~/Library. So is my FORREST_HOME:

/Users/xxx/Library/apache-forrest-0.8

and set my PATH to:

PATH=$PATH:/Users/xxx/Library/apache-forrest-0.8/bin

The user need right to write in apache-forrest-0.8.

Sorry for my little english.
Regards,
Udo Wendler
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Tim Williams wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> > Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> > >
> > > bash-3.2$ forrest run
> > > bash: /Applications/forrest/head/bin/forrest: /bin/sh^M:
> > > bad interpreter: No such file or directory
> >
> > I notice your error had ^M on it. Maybe we've got a whitespace issue?
> > Maybe try dos2unix run.sh and see if it helps? Just a guess...
>
> not run.sh obviously.

Good observation Tim. You mean '$FORREST_HOME/bin/forrest' shell script.

Ferdinand, i remember that you used to run Windows.
If you just copied everything over to your new Mac then
there will be DOS line-endings issues (depending on how
you did the copy).

Try a fresh svn checkout of Forrest trunk.

-David
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Udo Wendler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
> > bash: /Applications/forrest/head/bin/forrest: /bin/sh^M: bad
> > ^^^^
>
> I have no dir with *head*.

Thanks Udo, for trying to help.
Ferdinand probably has a few versions of Forrest
on his local computer. He did 'svn checkout' of
current trunk (i.e. "head" of trunk) into his
local directory "/Applications/forrest/head".

-David

Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Michael Conneen wrote:

> I run it on 10.4 with no issues. Have yet to upgrade to 10.5.
>
> Here is what I do..
>
> - - installed forrest and set up my profile path
> :which forrest
> /Users/mconneen/apache-forrest-0.7/bin/forrest

Thanks Michael, for trying to help.

For each release we tested the Forrest 0.7 and 0.8
versions on Mac OS 10.4

-David
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks Udo, for trying to help.
> Ferdinand probably has a few versions of Forrest
> on his local computer. He did 'svn checkout' of
> current trunk (i.e. "head" of trunk) into his
> local directory "/Applications/forrest/head".

Addinional comment: On my Apple in /Applications only MacOSX
applications.

Regards,
Udo Wendler
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Am 12.03.2008 um 01:57 schrieb David Crossley:

> Ferdinand, i remember that you used to run Windows.
> If you just copied everything over to your new Mac then
> there will be DOS line-endings issues (depending on how
> you did the copy).
>
> Try a fresh svn checkout of Forrest trunk.

Thanks David (an everyone else),

I'm going to try that (once I get Subversion back up :-))
Just for curiosities sake: Do I also need to rebuild a forrest that
was built under windows before?

Thanks,
Ferdinand
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Am 12.03.2008 um 01:57 schrieb David Crossley:
>
>> Ferdinand, i remember that you used to run Windows.
>> If you just copied everything over to your new Mac then
>> there will be DOS line-endings issues (depending on how
>> you did the copy).
>>
>> Try a fresh svn checkout of Forrest trunk.
>
> Thanks David (an everyone else),
>
> I'm going to try that (once I get Subversion back up :-))
> Just for curiosities sake: Do I also need to rebuild a forrest that was
> built under windows before?

Almost certainly, but I never tested this.

Ross
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
OK, problem solved with a fresh check out and building it.

Thanks everybody.

Regards,
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]

Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> >
> >Just for curiosities sake: Do I also need to rebuild a forrest that was
> >built under windows before?
>
> Almost certainly, but I never tested this.

I built our past releases (which contain sources
plus a pre-built binary) on Mac and no-one complained
during the pre-release testing phase about running
on Windows.

-David
Re: Running Forrest under OS/X 10.5 [ In reply to ]
Am 14.03.2008 um 01:22 schrieb David Crossley:

> I built our past releases (which contain sources
> plus a pre-built binary) on Mac and no-one complained
> during the pre-release testing phase about running
> on Windows.

Oh great. I will try running my build under windows next week just to
be sure. How nice would that be to demo Forrest running under OS/X and
Windows running in Parallels from the same checkout.

Thanks David.