Mailing List Archive

error when using W3C's CSS validator to validate my Forrest 0.8 sites
Forresters,

My company has 3 Web sites built with Forrest:

http://techsol.ca/
http://medallionsystem.com/
http://zpointproducts.com/

The first 2 are built with Forrest 0.8; the last is still built with
Forrest 0.7 (I need to upgrade someday).

When following the "Valid CSS" button in the page footer, the W3C CSS
Validator succeeds for <http://zpointproducts.com/>, but not for the
two sites using Forrest 0.8. The error message is:

Target: http://medallionsystem.com/
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1

What causes this error?

I notice the CSS validation succeeds for <http://forrest.apache.org/>,
but I guess this site is built with a newer Forrest than the 0.8
release.

Thank you,
Brolin

PS: I know the markup validation fails for all 3 sites. I need to fix this too.
RE: error when using W3C's CSS validator to validate my Forrest 0.8 sites [ In reply to ]
Hi Brolin,

Yes, it uses trunk, however 0.8 used to be trunk at one time, I don't recall
this error, but then never tested the Forrest main site regularly enough to
discount it either.

One thing to try which you might not like, but want to rule it out - can you
remove or comment out your rev_id meta tag, just to make sure the W3C
checker can read past this point to get at the CSS file locations.

The CSS files themselves validate (with warnings, but otherwise fine) so I
don't see a problem with the CSS itself.

We can take another look once we confirm what the above action does.

Gav...

RE: error when using W3C's CSS validator to validate my Forrest 0.8 sites [ In reply to ]
Brolin Empey <brolin.empey@gmail.com> said:

> My company has 3 Web sites built with Forrest:
>
> http://techsol.ca/
> http://medallionsystem.com/
> http://zpointproducts.com/
>
> The first 2 are built with Forrest 0.8; the last is still built with
> Forrest 0.7 (I need to upgrade someday).
>
> When following the "Valid CSS" button in the page footer, the W3C CSS
> Validator succeeds for <http://zpointproducts.com/>, but not for the
> two sites using Forrest 0.8. The error message is:
>
> Target: http://medallionsystem.com/
> java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
>
> What causes this error?
>
> I notice the CSS validation succeeds for <http://forrest.apache.org/>,
> but I guess this site is built with a newer Forrest than the 0.8
> release.
>
> PS: I know the markup validation fails for all 3 sites. I need to fix this too.

I just validated both CSS and the markup for a couple of pages (e.g. [1]) other than the homepage where the markup has issues. So please fix the markup and try again.

-SinDoc

[1] http://www.techsol.ca/services/index.html
> > My company has 3 Web sites built with Forrest:
> >
> > http://techsol.ca/
> > http://medallionsystem.com/
> > http://zpointproducts.com/
> >
> > The first 2 are built with Forrest 0.8; the last is still built with
> > Forrest 0.7 (I need to upgrade someday).
> >
> > When following the "Valid CSS" button in the page footer, the W3C CSS
> > Validator succeeds for <http://zpointproducts.com/>, but not for the
> > two sites using Forrest 0.8. The error message is:
> >
> > Target: http://medallionsystem.com/
> > java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
> >
> > What causes this error?
> >
> > I notice the CSS validation succeeds for <http://forrest.apache.org/>,
> > but I guess this site is built with a newer Forrest than the 0.8
> > release.
> >
> > PS: I know the markup validation fails for all 3 sites. I need to fix
> this too.
> >
> I just validated both CSS and the markup for a couple of pages (e.g. [1])
> other than the homepage where the markup has issues. So please fix the
> markup and try again.
>
> -SinDoc
>
> [1] http://www.techsol.ca/services/index.html

Ok, so we can discount my theory about the rev_id.
Quite a few pages validate CSS, one page in particular, the contact page,
also fails the HTML Markup validation but still passes the CSS.

Yes, lets get the HTML valid and go from there.

Gav...