Mailing List Archive

forreestbot mail not being sent
We've got a problem in which mail is not sent from forrestbot when a
run in completed. The build and upload work fine. The build file has
the following properties:

<property name="notify.email.host" value="smtp.ox.ac.uk"/>
<property name="notify.email.to" value="stuart.yeates@oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
<property name="notify.administrator" value="Stuart Yeates"/>

The machine can connect to smtp.ox.ac.uk on port 25 via telnet, so
that's not the issue.

The output (stdout) is:

notify.email:
Override ignored for property NOW
Override ignored for property DSTAMP
Override ignored for property TSTAMP
Override ignored for property TODAY
Using plain mail
Sending email: ForrestBot build for simalbot succeeded
From Forrestbot
ReplyTo []
To [stuart.yeates@oucs.ox.ac.uk]
Cc []
Bcc []
Failed to send email

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Does anyone know how to turn
debugging on in org.apache.commons.net (which appears to be where
things are going wrong)?

cheers
stuart

--
OSS Watch: http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/
Re: forreestbot mail not being sent [ In reply to ]
Stuart Yeates wrote:
> We've got a problem in which mail is not sent from forrestbot when a
> run in completed. The build and upload work fine. The build file has
> the following properties:
>
> <property name="notify.email.host" value="smtp.ox.ac.uk"/>
> <property name="notify.email.to" value="stuart.yeates@oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
> <property name="notify.administrator" value="Stuart Yeates"/>
>
> The machine can connect to smtp.ox.ac.uk on port 25 via telnet, so
> that's not the issue.
>
> The output (stdout) is:
>
> notify.email:
> Override ignored for property NOW
> Override ignored for property DSTAMP
> Override ignored for property TSTAMP
> Override ignored for property TODAY
> Using plain mail
> Sending email: ForrestBot build for simalbot succeeded
> From Forrestbot
> ReplyTo []
> To [stuart.yeates@oucs.ox.ac.uk]
> Cc []
> Bcc []
> Failed to send email
>
> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Does anyone know how to turn
> debugging on in org.apache.commons.net (which appears to be where
> things are going wrong)?

Do you have the "notify.on.failure" etc. set in your forrestbot
descriptor? I suppose yes, or it wouldn't be trying to send the mail.

Our docs say that some mailers need "notify.email.from".

http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbot.html#notify.email

The forrestbot on our zone has "notify.email.host" as "localhost".

Our descriptors are in our SVN if that helps for examples:
http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html

Try a test to ensure that you can send mail direct from the
command-line on your server, as the user which runs forrestbot.

That is all that i can think of for now.

-David
Re: forreestbot mail not being sent [ In reply to ]
David Crossley wrote:
> Stuart Yeates wrote:
>> We've got a problem in which mail is not sent from forrestbot when a
>> run in completed. The build and upload work fine. The build file has
>> the following properties:
>>
>> <property name="notify.email.host" value="smtp.ox.ac.uk"/>
>> <property name="notify.email.to" value="stuart.yeates@oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
>> <property name="notify.administrator" value="Stuart Yeates"/>
>>
>> The machine can connect to smtp.ox.ac.uk on port 25 via telnet, so
>> that's not the issue.
>>
>> The output (stdout) is:
>>
>> notify.email:
>> Override ignored for property NOW
>> Override ignored for property DSTAMP
>> Override ignored for property TSTAMP
>> Override ignored for property TODAY
>> Using plain mail
>> Sending email: ForrestBot build for simalbot succeeded
>> From Forrestbot
>> ReplyTo []
>> To [stuart.yeates@oucs.ox.ac.uk]
>> Cc []
>> Bcc []
>> Failed to send email
>>
>> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Does anyone know how to turn
>> debugging on in org.apache.commons.net (which appears to be where
>> things are going wrong)?
>
> Do you have the "notify.on.failure" etc. set in your forrestbot
> descriptor? I suppose yes, or it wouldn't be trying to send the mail.
>
> Our docs say that some mailers need "notify.email.from".
>
> http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbot.html#notify.email
>
> The forrestbot on our zone has "notify.email.host" as "localhost".
>
> Our descriptors are in our SVN if that helps for examples:
> http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html
>
> Try a test to ensure that you can send mail direct from the
> command-line on your server, as the user which runs forrestbot.
>
> That is all that i can think of for now.

I tried adding these properties, to no avail.

I eventually bit the bullet and installed an MTA (postfix) on the
machine and changed the notify.email.host to localhost. Everything
worked instantly.

The two smtp hosts I tried to connect to are both quite aggressive
in anti-spam measures, so maybe the roots lie there.

cheers
stuart
--
OSS Watch: http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/
Re: forreestbot mail not being sent [ In reply to ]
Stuart Yeates wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>> Stuart Yeates wrote:
>>> We've got a problem in which mail is not sent from forrestbot when a
>>> run in completed. The build and upload work fine. The build file has
>>> the following properties:
>>>
>>> <property name="notify.email.host" value="smtp.ox.ac.uk"/>
>>> <property name="notify.email.to" value="stuart.yeates@oucs.ox.ac.uk"/>
>>> <property name="notify.administrator" value="Stuart Yeates"/>
>>>
>>> The machine can connect to smtp.ox.ac.uk on port 25 via telnet, so
>>> that's not the issue.
>>>
>>> The output (stdout) is:
>>>
>>> notify.email:
>>> Override ignored for property NOW
>>> Override ignored for property DSTAMP
>>> Override ignored for property TSTAMP
>>> Override ignored for property TODAY
>>> Using plain mail
>>> Sending email: ForrestBot build for simalbot succeeded
>>> From Forrestbot
>>> ReplyTo []
>>> To [stuart.yeates@oucs.ox.ac.uk]
>>> Cc []
>>> Bcc []
>>> Failed to send email
>>>
>>> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Does anyone know how to turn
>>> debugging on in org.apache.commons.net (which appears to be where
>>> things are going wrong)?
>> Do you have the "notify.on.failure" etc. set in your forrestbot
>> descriptor? I suppose yes, or it wouldn't be trying to send the mail.
>>
>> Our docs say that some mailers need "notify.email.from".
>>
>> http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbot.html#notify.email
>>
>> The forrestbot on our zone has "notify.email.host" as "localhost".
>>
>> Our descriptors are in our SVN if that helps for examples:
>> http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html
>>
>> Try a test to ensure that you can send mail direct from the
>> command-line on your server, as the user which runs forrestbot.
>>
>> That is all that i can think of for now.
>
> I tried adding these properties, to no avail.
>
> I eventually bit the bullet and installed an MTA (postfix) on the
> machine and changed the notify.email.host to localhost. Everything
> worked instantly.
>
> The two smtp hosts I tried to connect to are both quite aggressive
> in anti-spam measures, so maybe the roots lie there.

Could you please drop this into our issue tracker [1] with a link to
this thread in the archives [2].

Ross

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.user/4434
Re: forreestbot mail not being sent [ In reply to ]

done.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1058

cheers
stuart