Mailing List Archive

using XInclude with Forrest 0.8 -- DTD validation problem
Hello,

I sent the message below to Jim Dixon on Friday, but have not yet
received a reply. I am resending the message to this list in order to
reach a larger audience.

--

Jim,

I want to use XInclude with Forrest 0.8. My Forrest site was created
(seeded) with Forrest 0.7, then later upgraded to Forrest 0.8.

I found your post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02344.html

This post is from before Forrest 0.8 was released.

I am trying to use your DTD file from this post, but Forrest fails to
validate your DTD file:

validate-xdocs:
/home/brolin/WEB/techsol.ca/forrest/src/documentation/resources/schema/document-v20-jd.dtd:11:52:
The attribute name must be specified in the attribute-list declaration
for element "document".

I added a comment (2 lines) and a blank line to the top of
document-v20-jd.dtd, so line 4 of my file is line 1 of the file in
your post.

How can I get Forrest 0.8 to validate document-v20-jd.dtd?

I do not know too much about SGML and XML, so I am hoping you can help me.

Thanks,
Brolin
Re: using XInclude with Forrest 0.8 -- DTD validation problem [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 15:42 -0700, Brolin Empey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I sent the message below to Jim Dixon on Friday, but have not yet
> received a reply. I am resending the message to this list in order to
> reach a larger audience.

Actually this header distracted my attention.

Communication should go to the appropriate mailing list, like said we
are all busy (normally not all at the same time), so always write to the
mailing and even better answer the corresponding thread if possible.

> --
>
> Jim,
>
> I want to use XInclude with Forrest 0.8. My Forrest site was created
> (seeded) with Forrest 0.7, then later upgraded to Forrest 0.8.
>
> I found your post:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02344.html
>
> This post is from before Forrest 0.8 was released.
>
> I am trying to use your DTD file from this post, but Forrest fails to
> validate your DTD file:
>
> validate-xdocs:
> /home/brolin/WEB/techsol.ca/forrest/src/documentation/resources/schema/document-v20-jd.dtd:11:52:
> The attribute name must be specified in the attribute-list declaration
> for element "document".

If you read Jims mail you find:

<!ATTLIST xi:include
parse (text|xml) "xml"
href CDATA #REQUIRED
encoding CDATA #IMPLIED

Your error says:
"...attribute name must be specified in
the attribute-list declaration..."

The above does not specify it.

Try:
<!ATTLIST xi:include
parse (text|xml) "xml"
href CDATA #REQUIRED
encoding CDATA #IMPLIED
name CDATA #IMPLIED

HTH, however a @name attribute is new for me for x:include.

> I added a comment (2 lines) and a blank line to the top of
> document-v20-jd.dtd, so line 4 of my file is line 1 of the file in
> your post.

> How can I get Forrest 0.8 to validate document-v20-jd.dtd?
>
> I do not know too much about SGML and XML, so I am hoping you can help me.

What are you trying to include? SGML in a doc-20? That will never
validate against doc-v20.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java consulting, training and solutions
Re: using XInclude with Forrest 0.8 -- DTD validation problem [ In reply to ]
Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 15:42 -0700, Brolin Empey wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I sent the message below to Jim Dixon on Friday, but have not yet
> > received a reply. I am resending the message to this list in order to
> > reach a larger audience.
>
> Actually this header distracted my attention.
>
> Communication should go to the appropriate mailing list, like said we
> are all busy (normally not all at the same time), so always write to the
> mailing and even better answer the corresponding thread if possible.

Yes, I should have written to this list first, and possibly copied Jim Dixon.
Next time I have to resend a personal message to a list, I will edit
the message for sending to the list to avoid confusion.

> > I am trying to use your DTD file from this post, but Forrest fails to
> > validate your DTD file:
> >
> > validate-xdocs:
> > /home/brolin/WEB/techsol.ca/forrest/src/documentation/resources/schema/document-v20-jd.dtd:11:52:
> > The attribute name must be specified in the attribute-list declaration
> > for element "document".
> >

> If you read Jims mail you find:
>
> <!ATTLIST xi:include
> parse (text|xml) "xml"
> href CDATA #REQUIRED
> encoding CDATA #IMPLIED
> >

> Your error says:
> "...attribute name must be specified in
> the attribute-list declaration..."
>
> The above does not specify it.
>
> Try:
> <!ATTLIST xi:include
> parse (text|xml) "xml"
> href CDATA #REQUIRED
> encoding CDATA #IMPLIED
> name CDATA #IMPLIED
> >

> HTH, however a @name attribute is new for me for x:include.

I think you are confused. "attribute name" in the error message
refers to an attribute name in general, not an attribute literally
named "name".

I tried adding your "name" attribute, but it had no effect.

However, I did find the part that causes validation to fail:

<!ATTLIST document
xmlns:xi CDATA #FIXED "http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";

document-v20-jd.dtd successfully validates after commenting out the above block.
This leads me to believe that the declaration of the "document"
element is missing the "xmlns:xi" attribute.

Any ideas?

> > I do not know too much about SGML and XML, so I am hoping you can help me.
>
> What are you trying to include? SGML in a doc-20? That will never
> validate against doc-v20.

No, I just want to include some XDocs source in a document-v20.
Currently I have a paragraph that is duplicated on multiple pages in
my site. I want to move this common paragraph into a single include
file.

I mentioned SGML because XML is a subset of SGML and because I do not
know much about either.

Thanks,
Brolin
Re: using XInclude with Forrest 0.8 -- DTD validation problem [ In reply to ]
A note for the email archives: Discussion continued in another thread:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.user/4304
Re: Show text file with Forrest

-David
Re: using XInclude with Forrest 0.8 -- DTD validation problem [ In reply to ]
David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> A note for the email archives: Discussion continued in another thread:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.user/4304

The linked-to page does not appear to have any way to navigate to the
subsequent posts in the thread.

The Mail Archive has such navigation functions:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02813.html
Re: using XInclude with Forrest 0.8 -- DTD validation problem [ In reply to ]
Brolin Empey wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >A note for the email archives: Discussion continued in another thread:
> >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.user/4304
>
> The linked-to page does not appear to have any way to navigate to the
> subsequent posts in the thread.

Yes it does: Select the "Subject" to get the threaded view.

-David

Re: using XInclude with Forrest 0.8 -- DTD validation problem [ In reply to ]
David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> Brolin Empey wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >A note for the email archives: Discussion continued in another thread:
> > >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.user/4304
> >
> > The linked-to page does not appear to have any way to navigate to the
> > subsequent posts in the thread.
>
> Yes it does: Select the "Subject" to get the threaded view.

Thanks, I did not know that! Selecting "Subject" to change to a
threaded view does not seem very intuitive to me, though. I did not
think the subject of the message was connected to the view mode.

Brolin