Hi,

I have imported into eclipse forrest source latest version from svn. How
do I use the forrest commands from eclipse (not through the cmd line but via
eclipse). Also how are the plugins mentioned to be used via eclipse. Ant
also seems to be integrated into forrest as a tool. How to use that via
forrest project?

Thanks for the help

Praveen
Re: How to start using on eclipse [ In reply to ]
Praveen Bhatia schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I have imported into eclipse forrest source latest version from
> svn. How do I use the forrest commands from eclipse (not through the
> cmd line but via eclipse). Also how are the plugins mentioned to be
> used via eclipse. Ant also seems to be integrated into forrest as a
> tool. How to use that via forrest project?
>

> Thanks for the help
>
> Praveen

Hi,

I don't know if I got you right, but I think you are trying to use the
Eclipse Plugin for forrest. If so, just have a look into
http://forrest.apache.org/tools/eclipse.html
To develop some stuff for forrest is another story. In that casse get
the sources via svn as you did, build them, tweak around and build again.
Hth
Gunnar
Re: How to start using on eclipse [ In reply to ]
On 21/06/07, Gunnar Magholder <gmagholder@web.de> wrote:
> Praveen Bhatia schrieb:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have imported into eclipse forrest source latest version from
> > svn. How do I use the forrest commands from eclipse (not through the
> > cmd line but via eclipse). Also how are the plugins mentioned to be
> > used via eclipse. Ant also seems to be integrated into forrest as a
> > tool. How to use that via forrest project?

Forrest is run using ANT. Eclipse provides a method of running ant
scripts, however, it is outside of the scope of this list to provide
specific support for how to configure Eclipse to do that (unless
someone here uses Forrest + Eclipse in this way, I do not).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the plugins metioned to be used via
eclipse" - what plugins? Mentioned where?

The bundled ant is automatically used once you install forrest and
type a forrest command at your command line. You need do no more magic
other than follow the Forrest install instructions.

Ross
RE: How to start using on eclipse [ In reply to ]
Hi Gunnar,
Thanks for the link (http://forrest.apache.org/tools/eclipse.html).
However I had earlier tried to make sense of the installation notes
mentioned there:
"Installation notes
To get you started while the documentation is being developed, see this
forrest-dev mail thread: [eclipse] How to install? ."
But it is not clear from the notes mentioned in the dev-list too as to what
to do?

To install forrest plugin I expect either :
1) A .zip file which I need to unzip into plugin and features directory of
eclipse OR
2) A plugin URL from where the plugin will get automatically installed.

Could you please guide me to where this is mentioned? (I downloaded the
source as I could not get the expected plugin packaged as mentioned above.
And I hoped to get the source code working instead... I use eclipse for most
of my development...)

For my current work it will be enough if the plugin can be used via eclipse.

Best wishes
Praveen

> I have imported into eclipse forrest source latest version from
> svn. How do I use the forrest commands from eclipse (not through the
> cmd line but via eclipse). Also how are the plugins mentioned to be
> used via eclipse. Ant also seems to be integrated into forrest as a
> tool. How to use that via forrest project?
>

> Thanks for the help
>
> Praveen

Hi,

I don't know if I got you right, but I think you are trying to use the
Eclipse Plugin for forrest. If so, just have a look into
http://forrest.apache.org/tools/eclipse.html
To develop some stuff for forrest is another story. In that casse get
the sources via svn as you did, build them, tweak around and build again.
Hth
Gunnar

- This message has been scanned for viruses, spam and dangerous content by
www.CleanMailGateway.com, and is believed to be clean.
RE: How to start using on eclipse [ In reply to ]
Hi Ross,
Thanks. The plugins are I referred to are mentioned in the plugins
directory of the source code. The file mentions the plugins as follows. I
was wondering how and from where these plugins can be used.
Thanks
Praveen
plugin.xml file
================
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with
The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
(the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at

limitations under the License.
-->
<!DOCTYPE plugins [.
<!ENTITY % links.att 'name CDATA #REQUIRED'>
<!ENTITY % link.att 'name CDATA #REQUIRED href CDATA #REQUIRED'>
<!ELEMENT plugins (plugin*)>
<!ATTLIST plugins type CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT plugin (description, forrestVersion)>
<!ATTLIST plugin name CDATA #REQUIRED
type (input|output|internal) #REQUIRED
url CDATA #REQUIRED
author CDATA #REQUIRED
website CDATA #IMPLIED
version CDATA #IMPLIED>
<!ELEMENT description (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT forrestVersion (#PCDATA)>
]>
<plugins type="released">
<!-- ================================================================== -->
<!-- Input Plugins -->
<!-- ================================================================== -->
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.dtdx"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.dtdx"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.2">
<description>
Use the NekoDTD tool packaged as a Cocoon Generator to automatically
generate some hyperlinked DTD reference documentation.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.excel"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.excel/"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins"
version="0.3">
<description>
Reads (simple) Excel sheets from the Excel "Save As" (Type=XML).
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.feeder"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.feeder"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins"
version="0.2">
<description>
Embed syndicated content in a Forrest site.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.listLocations"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.listLocations"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.2">
<description>
Use lists of locations maintained in a simple xml format and transform
them to documents.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins"
version="0.2">
<description>
Use various OpenOffice.org document formats as input sources.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.PhotoGallery"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins"
version="0.3">
<description>
Create a photo Gallery by simply dropping your photos into a
directory.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.rblasch.forrest.plugin.input.pod"
type="input"
author="Ronald Blaschke"
website="http://www.rblasch.org/projects/pod-input/"
url="http://www.rblasch.org/projects/pod-input"
version="0.1">
<description>
Embed Pod (Plain Old Documentation) documents in a Forrest site.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.7</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.projectInfo"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.2">
<description>
Generates project info such as changelog and todo list.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.simplifiedDocbook"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.2">
<description>
Enable Simplified Docbook to be used as input.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.wiki"
type="input"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.input.wiki"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.2">
<description>
Embed various wiki documents in a Forrest site.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<!-- ================================================================== -->
<!-- Output Plugins -->
<!-- ================================================================== -->
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule"
type="output"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.output.inputModule"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.1">
<description>
Enable Forrest to produce properties from an input-module.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf"
type="output"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.output.pdf"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.2">
<description>
Enable Forrest documents to be output in PDF format.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.POD"
type="output"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.output.POD"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.2">
<description>
Enable Forrest documents to be output in Plain Old Documentation (POD)
format.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Text"
type="output"
author="Apache Forrest Project"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forres
t.plugin.output.Text"
url="http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/"
version="0.2">
<description>
Enable Forrest documents to be output in Text format.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.8</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<plugin name="s5"
type="output"
author="Ross Gardler"

website="http://forrest.apache.org/~rgardler/testingGround/forrestPlugins/s5
"
url="http://www.apache.org/~rgardler/testingGround/forrestPlugins/"
version="0.1">
<description>
Create S5: A Simple Standards-Based Slide Show System presentations
from
xdocs.
</description>
<forrestVersion>0.7</forrestVersion>
</plugin>
<!-- ================================================================== -->
<!-- Internal Plugins -->
<!-- ================================================================== -->
</plugins>

Re: How to start using on eclipse [ In reply to ]
On 22/06/07, Praveen Bhatia <praveen.bhatia@einfochips.com> wrote:
> Hi Gunnar,
> Thanks for the link (http://forrest.apache.org/tools/eclipse.html).
> However I had earlier tried to make sense of the installation notes
> mentioned there:
> "Installation notes
> To get you started while the documentation is being developed, see this
> forrest-dev mail thread: [eclipse] How to install? ."
> But it is not clear from the notes mentioned in the dev-list too as to what
> to do?
>
> To install forrest plugin I expect either :
> 1) A .zip file which I need to unzip into plugin and features directory of
> eclipse OR
> 2) A plugin URL from where the plugin will get automatically installed.
>
> Could you please guide me to where this is mentioned? (I downloaded the
> source as I could not get the expected plugin packaged as mentioned above.
> And I hoped to get the source code working instead... I use eclipse for most
> of my development...)
>
> For my current work it will be enough if the plugin can be used via eclipse.

I'm afraid the eclipse plugin is largely unsupported, as are most
things to be found in the whiteboard - that's what the whiteboard is
for. I have not done any work on it for quite some time and I don't
think anyone else uses it. I don't remember any specific details, but
I do remember that we never actually released a version of the plugin.

It does work (or at least did in whatever version of Eclipse was
current at the time, 3.0 I think), but you will have to build the
plugin yourself. To learn how to do that you need to learn a bit about
Eclipse plugin development and this is not the forum for that, but...

By coincidence, I do have a project that is likely to revive work on
this plugin, but not for at least a few months, I think I said that
about another project a few months ago as well, so beware - priorities
do change. If you really need this functionality and have the time to
explore it and work on it with us I will be happy to try and answer
your questions over on the dev list. However, I'm not in a position to
do the work myself right now.

Ross
Re: How to start using on eclipse [ In reply to ]
Praveen Bhatia wrote:
> Hi Ross,
> Thanks. The plugins are I referred to are mentioned in the plugins
> directory of the source code. The file mentions the plugins as follows. I
> was wondering how and from where these plugins can be used.
> Thanks
> Praveen
> plugin.xml file

You seem to be looking at the insides of Forrest, before
understanding how it works.

Follow the instructions in the FORREST_HOME/README.txt and index.html
create a 'forrest seed' sample site, edit its forrest.properties
to add the plugins of your choice. These are listed from the plugins
tab of that sample site at localhost:8888/
and also at http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/

-David